PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift: Dumbells vs. Barbell

FatherDog
12-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Is there a difference between using a barbell or dumbells for the deadlift? Different muscles worked?

SevenStar
12-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I've heard that dumbbell deads are less straining on the back

SevenStar
12-11-2002, 01:38 PM
here we go

http://www.ast-ss.com/dev/qa_search/full_text.asp?ID=1768

FatherDog
12-11-2002, 02:32 PM
Thanks.

ElPietro
12-11-2002, 02:46 PM
How is a dumbell closer to the body than a barbell? Both are pretty much being dragged up the body. So I don't get how they are better for your back. Increased ROM? If you really feel the need to add another 4 inches ROM you could just stand on a platform. I don't really see a benefit to DB deadlifts. Barbell allows you to go up in weight in small increments practically infinitely, where you will be limited by the size of a dumbell. Most gyms go to 100lbs or maybe 150, which is no good. Also, gripping is different with a dumbell. With a barbell I can use a mixed grip, which increases my grip strength phenominally, with dumbells you will be struggling to hold on to a DB over 100-150lbs. It's all in the grip, and I don't see a benefit to DB deads, in fact I see detriments. You could also lift unevenly with DBs and/or be focusing on one arm more than another at a point of bad form which causes injury because you leaned, or neglected a certain side of your body. I go pretty **** heavy on this exercise for heavy singles, doubles and triples, and I wouldn't even think of using dumbells, even if my gym somehow found a way to buy DBs heavy enough to get near my BB lift.

Ford Prefect
12-12-2002, 08:03 AM
The trap bar is always a good substitute to mix it up.

Scarletmantis
12-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I always cool down after a heavy powerlifting routine. I don't wanna tear a muscle or anything on the drive home from the gym.:D

yu shan
12-15-2002, 07:06 PM
In my years of lifting, never seen anyone perform deadlift using dumbbells. My exposure being inner city power lifting gyms. Dumbbell work is much more intense than straight bar, alot more to think about. I do both...no machines.