PDA

View Full Version : Structural Integrity

S.Teebas
12-11-2002, 02:27 PM
Just some random thoughts I’ve had lately about the ability to contain structure. When we are chi sauing and testing our ability to maintain our structure under pressure, I find times when I reach my limit and am forced to revert to using muscle. Of course everyone has their limit, and I question whether this limit is an effect of perhaps a skeletal misalignment, for example a vertebrae in the spine being out of alignment not allowing the force to travel through; and buckling upon reaching its upper limit before tension occurs. OR is this more a mental panic whereby the mind looses its focus thus causing structural collapse?

What are you thoughts on the limits on your structure?
And what are the important factors in having a good one?

OdderMensch
12-11-2002, 03:00 PM
we are taught that the "unbendable angle" of say tan sau will transfer force into out body, thru our stance into the ground. when so much pressure is place into the arm that it might cause it to bend we are training to reposition the body to deflate the pressure on the arm.

example my right tan sau blocks a boxers cross, his arm is now in a crossed position with mine.so strong is this boxer he threatens my tans structure. My trained reaction is to adjust my stance to neuturlize. so my left foot shifts (maybe 6 inchs) moveing my body just slightly away from the force (plus creating a good yang power arc for my left hands action)

yuanfen
12-11-2002, 05:23 PM
S Teebas on structural integrity:Structural Integrity
Just some random thoughts I’ve had lately about the ability to contain structure. When we are chi sauing and testing our ability to maintain our structure under pressure, I find times when I reach my limit and am forced to revert to using muscle.

What are you thoughts on the limits on your structure?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reverting to muscle should be avoided in training at least.

Some folks chi sao too fast and dont have control over their motions. Slow down so skill devlopment catches up.

One of the deeper things that chum kiu teaches is precisely that-
to finish a motion and then change. Take a single section of chum kiu and practice it again and again before linking to other sections.
joy chaudhuri

Wingman
12-11-2002, 07:07 PM
When we are chi sauing and testing our ability to maintain our structure under pressure, I find times when I reach my limit and am forced to revert to using muscle.

It happens when you rely on your hand techniques alone; and don't use footwork to diffuse the pressure. When you don't use footwork, you tend apply pressure back to your partner tit for tat. If your partner is stronger or has a much better structure, then you are in the loosing end. Aside from diffusing your partner's presssure, footwork also enables you to create openings and angles to attack.