PDA

View Full Version : Question

Water Dragon
12-11-2002, 03:34 PM
This is a training board for CMA, correct? So why is it that the only thing ever discussed here is weight training? Doesn't anybody do the Old School exercises

neptunesfall
12-11-2002, 04:31 PM
sure do...
iron body
muscle tendon change
lohan grinding the axe
3 planes
snake turns over
the 9 times
2 hand exercises that i don't know the names of
and bunches of stances....

obviously i don't do all of these every day

Water Dragon
12-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Then why do we never see threads on rock poles, line walking, belt cracking, etc. I tried to get something up on the training pulley once and everyone was like :confused: Every now and then, you see a thread on stance holding, but it's always real general and vague.

Aren't there more people out there doing this stuff?

SevenStar
12-11-2002, 06:09 PM
rock pole, belt cracking and pulley are shiao chiao specific I'd guess. I've mentioned rock pole on the kung fu forum and got the same "huh?" response.

as far as traditional training methods, that's talked about on the main forum fairly often - stance training has been done to death over there, so here we discuss more modern things. They still apply to MA and there's more research available if we want to discuss/debate something.

Besides, all of KFO is dedicated to CMA except the other related arts forum, reality fighting and this one.

Royal Dragon
12-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Rock poles??

What's that one?

SevenStar
12-11-2002, 10:34 PM
see? told ya.

a rock pole is a pole that has a weight at one or both ends. It's used to work sweeps and various other techniques.

this page has a pic of a double sided rock pole:
http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/training.html

Royal Dragon
12-12-2002, 05:58 AM
Ohhhhhh, Ok. I've seen those. I' e never done anyhting with them, but I have seen them

Hey, if you go down the page a bit you will see a stance where the guy holds one leg back?? MJ yaught me that one, and it REALLY helps my back. So long as I have not gone into a full lockup, I can actully prevent one by holding that posture for a minitue or so each side.

Oso
12-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Does training stick, staff and sword forms with really heavy
pipes count?

or setting bricks up in the footwork patterns of your forms
and trying not to fall off of them as you train your set?

yenhoi
12-12-2002, 09:28 AM
I do stance training, forms, and iron body stuff. Also sometimes I workout with clubbells(RMA style), whichs sounds like your rock poles maybe.

WinterPalm
12-13-2002, 10:16 AM
I practice basics like stances, kicks and punches, forms of which one is all dynamic tension and the other is more of a fighting, tiger and crane mix. Great for cardio. Standing meditation then some grip exercises. As for non-traditional, I do alot of pullups, handstand exercises, pushups and try to make new things up every workout.
Is that traditional enough?

WinterPalm
12-13-2002, 10:16 AM
I practice basics like stances, kicks and punches, forms of which one is all dynamic tension and the other is more of a fighting, tiger and crane mix. Great for cardio. Standing meditation then some grip exercises. As for non-traditional, I do alot of pullups, handstand exercises, pushups and try to make new things up every workout.
Is that traditional enough?