PDA

View Full Version : Stake Standing

jun_erh
12-11-2002, 06:30 PM
I just started doing this. I enjoy it. You can really work your upper leg muscles. I had kind of a weird sensation this morning. I got so relaxed I almost fell asleep standing up, yet my legs hurt alot. weird

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-12-2002, 07:48 PM
I'm missing something. Can you explain??

jun_erh
12-14-2002, 05:59 PM
about stake standing or my take on it? just that it was sort of early in the morning I was still kind of groggy, so i start doing the stake standing and I feel myself getting very close to sleep, though my legs really hurt. Not a hell of a lot to say about this sort of chi kung really!!!

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-15-2002, 09:27 AM
Can you explain what stake standing is? I never heard of this posture or what it means. Thanks.

jun_erh
12-15-2002, 10:53 AM
http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_Jones_0601.htm

This is the book I read about it in:
http://www.insight-books.com/new/1569248567.html

Basically you have your feet about should width and you have your knees bent so they line up with your toes. I tend to do it a little wider and over the toe more because I've done horse stance and stuff, but you make sure sunk but not in a real deep stance.

I got that book used for cheap. paul Dong, the author, has a lot of interest in the occult and stuff and there's some pretty absurd stories in there even in terms of the usual tales. LIke theres one about a kid who can read with his ear or some ****. And like, using a bionic chi machine. But it has instructions for a couple different chi kungs like one finger chi kung (which I haven't tried) and photos of group practice in China.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-22-2002, 06:09 AM
So we are talking about a basic stance for meditation. You might want to try "one finger zen meditation" or dragon gate Qigong. Hope this helps.

scotty1
01-04-2003, 06:38 PM
You're talking about Zhan Zhuang, I think. I do it myself. It has helped with my back posture and developed my thigh muscles, both front and back.

I do it for 20 minutes. More a test of mind endurance than the physical, although my legs burn like hell for a short time afterwards. I always precede and follow with 10-20 reps of lifing the sky, as advocated by Wong Kiew Kit.

And yeah, I've nearly fallen asleep loads, although I think you should try and stay alert really.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the info ; very interesting.