PDA

View Full Version : who wants a documentary?

wingchunalex
12-11-2002, 06:46 PM
I had a cool idea, it would be awsome if someone did a wing chun styles documentary. It would be cool if someone went around and videotaped a bunch of different styles of wing chun and put it together as a documentary. it could have yip man, yuen kay san, pan nam, gulao, lien pau fa (i know i screwed up the spelling, sorry), hung fa yi, foshan, guangzhou, and as many others as they had time and money to put on the video. just a side note, i think it would be cool to do this myself one day, but if anyone beats me to it thats fine with me.

reneritchie
12-11-2002, 08:20 PM
What happened to spending years trying to find mere glimpses of the less well known branches? What happened to painstaking searches for old documents, difficult translations, making friendships and traveling great distances to compare systems?

D@mn MTV generation...

RR

anerlich
12-11-2002, 09:11 PM
Call me a cynic, but ...

Can you imagine the clash of egos were certain individuals to get involved? All the complaining about how Sifu A got 1:24 more than Sifu B? Why was Sifu C chosen as the rep for his lineage when "most people agree" Sifu D sholuld have been? If "Yip Man" is one lineage, would you choose William Cheung or Leung Ting? Or would Emin Boztepe be a better choice than the latter? Or ...

Remember all the posts we've seen about how so-and-so's demo at the big WC confab in HK a year or two ago sucked big time? Would this be any different?

This could bring WC closer together. OTOH it could also act as the firestarter for another decade of flame wars.

The big deal will be getting finance - all the international travel required wouldn't be cheap. I can't imagine it having that wide an audience either, thus sponsorship might be problematic.

If it excites you though, don't let me put you off. Just don't expect it to go smoothly ...

How about a doco along the lines of .. "You thought the US and Iraq had problems - well check this lot out!" :cool:

yuanfen
12-11-2002, 11:42 PM
An accurate comprehensive documentary?
not likely.

joy chaudhuri

Mckind13
12-12-2002, 12:24 AM
We could do it.

Sifu A Show us your forms

Answer predecided questions.

Tell us about your experience.

Thanks

Sifu B same etc

reneritchie
12-12-2002, 07:03 AM
Mkind13 forgot to say the scene was in the SD6 interrogation room from ALIAS and Sloane had them little needles out...

RR

yuanfen
12-12-2002, 07:14 AM
McKind sez:We could do it.

Sifu A Show us your forms

Answer predecided questions.

Tell us about your experience.

Thanks

Sifu B same etc
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Some choice answers- no speak english (smile)

wingchunalex
12-12-2002, 08:31 AM
The way i was hoping to do it is that if and when i get to travel when i'm older i'll just bring a video camera with me where ever I go and it will slowly develope over many many years. I'm 20 now, so by the time I'm 30 or 40 I might have enough matterial to cut and paste together to have a documentary. lol. :D so if i ever get the chance to go to china, or meet people of obscure lineages, i'll just have my video camera with me just in case.:p

[Censored]
12-12-2002, 11:33 AM
You put together a "poor man's documentary" without a video camera. You only need a video capture card, MPEG splicing software, and a CD burner. If you have enough Wing Chun VCDs (as opposed to VHS), you don't even need the capture card.

I would do it myself but I don't have enough source material. That, and I don't want 10 angry kung-fu masters hunting me down for copyright infringement.

[Censored]
12-12-2002, 05:12 PM
An accurate comprehensive documentary?
not likely.

I would be happy just to get an accurate comprehensive dictionary, to prevent the English speakers from arguing over the true and correct definition of Cantonese words.

wingchunalex
12-12-2002, 07:20 PM
what if the documentary was just the best i could do, no claims, just what i got to go around and see, if i didn't get to see it, i didn't and so it didn't get in the documentary. for all i know i may never get to go to china, or i might not get to visit every wing chun school in america. what if it was just the best somebody somebody did with what they got to see. like a documentarty of somebody's trip to europe or something like that, peole shoudn't get offened if i didn't see all the monuments of frace. what if it was done from that angle

teazer
12-15-2002, 07:52 AM
No doubt the question in the minds of these people demo'ing - who gets the money from all this!!?? And OMG, is this **** thing still going to be around 20 years from now after they've changed/improved etc what they do:p