PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Story about: Mr. Han from Enter the Dragon

Sow Choy
08-02-2000, 09:55 PM
I was lucky to meet ony of my Sigung's (Grandmasters) Shek Kin, Mr.Han from "Enter the Dragon" with Bruce Lee. I know there are a lot of Bruce Lee Fans including myself, so I will tell you guys a cool story. First Grandmaster Shek Kin is regarded as sort of a Clint Eastwood, John Wayne over in hong Kong and China. He is a great actor who also is very skilled in Kung Fu. Now he is 88 years old and lives in Hong Kong. We asked him about Bruce Lee and he had many kind words and liked him alot. One of my Kung Fu brothers heard a rumor that they had fought and he asked Grandmaster Shek Kin about the fight. Grandmaster Shek Kin said there were so many rumors about that incident and that none were true. He and Bruce enjoyed there time talking of Kung Fu and how it can be improved and about many things, and Bruce admired Grandmaster Shek Kin since he was a boy. He politely on a number of times asked for a friendly match. Grandmaster Shek Kin refused stating Bruce would hit too hard, remember Shek Kin was in his sixties. But Bruce was convinced whoever was faster would win, Shek Kin believes Stradegy is more important. So after many times of Bruce asking for a match, Shek Kin accepted. Bruce came in very fast and hit Shek Kin with alot of power like he thought. After a few exchanges, Grandmaster Shek Kin moved to the side and punched Bruce Lee in the mouth. After the fight Bruce Lee's mouth was bleeding. It wasn't a big deal, they were playing around, but many were saying that Shek Kin gave Bruce the Death Touch. I just thought maybe a few would like this story. All in all it was a friendly fight.

molum_jr
08-08-2000, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sow Choy:
I was lucky to meet ony of my Sigung's (Grandmasters) Shek Kin, Mr.Han from "Enter the Dragon" with Bruce Lee First Grandmaster Shek Kin is regarded as sort of a Clint Eastwood, John Wayne over in hong Kong and China. He is a great actor who also is very skilled in Kung Fu. Now he is 88 years old and lives in Hong Kong. [/quote]

Wow! Shek Kin is still alive and kicking?! I visited your site and was confused with the sigung connection. Shek Kin is a northern law horn stylist: one of the few known students of Sun, Yuk-Feng. What is your connection then?

As far as your inference to John Wayne and Clint Eastwood... I DON'T THINK SOOOOO.
Shek Kin was infamous in portraying "THE BAD GUY" on the silver screens of 40's - 70's. He was sooo good at it that people adored him more often than the hero/horoine.

I've never seen anyone move quite so well as a northern stylist. He often used law horn weaponry (double hook swords, sabers, daggers, 3 sectional, darts, and much, much more without trick photography. I wished that I could move as well as he did...

Sow Choy
08-08-2000, 06:32 PM
The comparison was not that important, I meant it for people who have never heard of him. My connection is through my 1st Sifu Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung. Lee Koon Hung was Shek Kin's only student. He did teach him Northern style Kung Fu, but more than just Law Horn. Lee Koon Hung learned more weapon forms from him than anything else. He taught those forms to advanced students. They are incredible, they really give us more insight and understanding about the differences between Northern and Southern style.Choy Lay Fut is the style Grandmaster Lee Koon Hung was famous for.

Paul Skrypichayko
08-08-2000, 08:08 PM
Shek Kin is still alive in his 80's, but I hear he isnt doing much kicking in his wheelchair. (some kind of hip joint problem, like a severe pinched nerve). I'm sure he had more than one student though.

Shek Kin was known for a few styles, northern mantis, hung gar, bak pai, and I think even some choy li fut and eagle claw.

I have also heard that he had the total tough and mean image, but on the inside, he was all soft and gentle, especially with kids.