PDA

View Full Version : Just got Bench!

WuMan
12-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, I just got a bench for bench pressing and I got a bar that is... not straight, can u brench with this or do you need a straight bar?

thanks.

SevenStar
12-11-2002, 10:10 PM
you can do close grip bench press with the ez curl bar, but you really need a straight bar for the regular bench press. Getting a bar shouldn't set you back a whole lot though - buy one.

WuMan
12-11-2002, 10:40 PM
what is the difference between close grip and regular? like does one give u more benefits than the other or?

SevenStar
12-11-2002, 10:54 PM
close grip is used as a triceps exercise.

WuMan
12-11-2002, 10:55 PM
ah ic! Thanks!

ewallace
12-12-2002, 07:59 PM
If you're going to buy a new one may I suggest a 45lb and 7 ft olympic bar. Shouldn't cost too much more.

IronFist
12-13-2002, 12:39 PM
Just so you know, "close grip bench" means hands shoulder width apart. Some people do it with their hands touching in the middle, but that's a good way to harm your wrists.

Oh wait, if you're using an EZ curl bar, the angles make it possible to get your hands closer than shoulder width, but I would still say keep them at shoulder width.

Or just buy a 7' bar :) Make sure you get a thickness that you like. The ones that are too thin hurt my wrists and my finger nails stab into my palms because it's so thin i can close my hand around it. We have two such bars at my university gym and I hate them :)

IronFist