PDA

View Full Version : Gao Style Houtian 8 Animal Forms

Whirlwind Palms
12-11-2002, 10:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of good pictorial or video documentation of the Gao Style Houtian 8 Animal Forms and where I might acquire them.
Any suggestions will be appreciated...

Mark Weems

Walter Joyce
12-18-2002, 01:19 PM
Luo De Xiu in Taipei was working on a hou tien video, but I haven't heard anything in a while. Tim Cartmell, at shenwu, may know something, or Buddy Tripp, who occassionally posts at emptyflower, may also know more. I am assuming you've seen Luo's videos on the preheaven forms (palm changes) and applications, if not try plumflower press.

count
12-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Thanks Walter,
You wouldn't have a comment for the 5 element thread now, would ya? :p

Walter Joyce
12-18-2002, 01:43 PM
None worth posting. I defer to your expertise in that area. But I'll get there sooner or later. :)

right now its jibengong jibengong and more jibengong, with some tien gan and palm changes when I've done enough jibengong and tien gan. ;)

count
12-18-2002, 01:55 PM
How about starting a thread about the Tein Gan's. Theres one I haven't seen on these forums in the past. ;) Are there 12 or something like that. I know several of them. Good topic! We need more good topics on this board lately.:(

Walter Joyce
12-18-2002, 02:07 PM
count,
I only know two of the 24, as Luo only teaches you a new one when he thinks you're ready for it.

The two I do are plucking, and moving. Plucking works the central channel/centerline and moving works the legs and luo-kua dantien mingmen area.

Luo also taught us the turtle and deer exercises, but I don't think they are part of the heavenly stems. I'll save dscriptions for the heavenly stems thread you're about to start, after-all, you're senior. ;)

count
12-18-2002, 02:13 PM
:D

Buddy
12-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Actually there are ten tiangan but the variations make the number twenty-four. Deer/Turtle is from Ba Duan Jin. I believe that Allen Pittman has a video out with what he calls houtian. I wouldn't buy it it but...
The rumour is that Laoshi is coming out with a vid of the first three lines of houtian and another on Xingyi wuxing. I've seen the Xingyi-darn good stuff, as you might expect.
Cheers,
Buddy

Whirlwind Palms
12-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Thanks so much for the input guys. I have seen the two videos that Luo put out concerning Gao style, and if there are more I would certainly buy them...

Thanks again!

Mark Weems

Walter Joyce
12-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Buddy,
Thanks for clarifying. Happy Holidays too.

:)

BTW, if you want to meet WHJ at the Friday night informal gathering, location to be determined, let me know.

p.s. Whirlwind, Buddy is THE source for gao ba gua info on the east coast.

Buddy
12-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Walter,
Thank you for the compliment but my brother, George Wood, is a far more competant source than I. You will see George when the Xingyi vid comes out.
Cheers,
Buddy

Walter Joyce
12-20-2002, 07:43 AM
Buddy,
What is/are ba duan jin?

Buddy
12-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Walter,
Eight Brocade Qigong. Laoshi teaches it quite differently than I have seen it in the past. I believe we did a couple of them when you were coming to my qigong class.
Buddy