PDA

View Full Version : Your Fav IMA strike

TkdWarrior
12-12-2002, 06:45 AM
well wat's ur favorite IMA move(single or combinations) which u use too much against ur oppnt(well how much u do sparring is the same question??:D)
mine's(from Yang style) putting it in single whip n then using shoulder strike i like it because i m learning shoulder strike
there's one more fav move but i dunno the name of move :(
-TkdWarrior-

MaFuYee
12-12-2002, 09:49 AM
press.

TaiChiBob
12-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Greetings..

If i had to choose a single movement.. Single Whip! The numerous applications and range of control seem limitless.. it can be a gentle movement that controlls an opponent's intentions.. or it can leave the opponent with a dislocated shoulder, a hyper-extended (if not broken) elbow, and broken ribs.. and if you choose to attack over the lead of your opponent and apply splitting energy at the junction of the neck/jaw, it can easily be fatal..

But, most of all.. if you can, avoid violence.. evolve..

Be well..

Prairie
12-12-2002, 03:14 PM
My favorite is "wave hands like clouds"

taijiquan_student
12-12-2002, 03:20 PM
I can't pick one particular techinque, but one of my favorites is a palm strike to the heart.

count
12-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Unicorn spits out the book of knowledge!

Laughing Cow
12-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Hmmm.

I like the jumbs and multiple kicks alot.

Combo I like is:

Pishen Chui & Beizhekao

Sorry, no english names for those handy.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
12-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Wuji is my favorite.

TkdWarrior
12-12-2002, 08:06 PM
thnx guys for replying..
laughing cow woud u mind explaining those movements...

But, most of all.. if you can, avoid violence.. evolve..
good advice Mr TCBob... but ah c`mon u always can stay with non violence...
Count well i never heard of the movement u described, wud u mind explaining that too...
now my other question is that anyone tried doing blindfolded tui shou? like WC guys do their chi sau
-TkdWarrior-

Laughing Cow
12-12-2002, 08:19 PM
TKDWarrior:

The moves are called:

The hiding Body Fist &

Blue Dragon jumps from the Water
in english.

Had to go through my files archive, we only use the chinese names in the kwoon.

The are part of the Yi Lu Chen TJQ form.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.

The Willow Sword
12-12-2002, 10:21 PM
from xingyi: Pi chuan. (chopping fist)

in the 12 animal xings: she xing (snake)
Ma xing (horse)
cou xing (chicken)
lung xing (dragon)

From Pakua: Python coils its body
buddha raises the pagoda to heaven.

From Taichi: Fair lady works the shuttle.

MRTWS

count
12-13-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by TkdWarrior

Count well i never heard of the movement u described, wud u mind explaining that too...
now my other question is that anyone tried doing blindfolded tui shou? like WC guys do their chi sau
-TkdWarrior-

I was going to say Wu Ji. It would be the truth too.

I don't think I can explain "unicorn spits out the book of knowledge" without showing you. Too many variables and too much happening. Let's just say you wind up with a knee in the sciatic notch of your butt. before you are thrown down.

I emphatically avoid blindfolded training of any kind. Training in the dark, yes, but I see no purpose to covering the eyes. In fact it is necessary to project chi from your eyes to complete techniques in IMA.

TKDwarrior,
Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not putting down you our your style. You have to get past that TKD mentality if you want to succeed with your Tai Chi Chuan. TKD is Rhythmically linear with combinations that are set like, down block - front punch - roundhouse. The techniques are exactly the same as you learned in the forms. This kind of mindset inhibits continuos, circular thought that is necessary to execute tai chi chuan. Many times the movements in your form are not even close to what you might think. Separating the legs does not mean kick necessarily. If you are going to do both styles you must learn to separate the two in your mind. And I do think it's ok to practice both. However you must practice equally hard and that requires many hours per day. I don't think you make progress by practicing one on one day and the other on the next. Just my own opinions.:cool:

TkdWarrior
12-13-2002, 07:31 AM
count no offence taken in any way..i understand ur point...
i m very open to ideas n learning...:) i understand wat u mean by the nature of both arts ..
-TkdWarrior-

TaiChiBob
12-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Greetings..

I and those students willing, train blindfolded occasionally.. there may come a time (kidnappings, terrorists, etc..) whenever that is the situation before you.. As for projecting Chi from the eyes, well.. we're just not that advanced yet.. By the way, could you explain "projecting Chi from the eyes? ( a real curiosity, not a loaded question)..

Fan-Through-Back combined with downward parry and punch.. is a particularly effective set with many applications.. i like the options there, too..

Be well..

count
12-13-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by TaiChiBob
I and those students willing, train blindfolded occasionally.. there may come a time (kidnappings, terrorists, etc..) whenever that is the situation before you..
Well you make a good point about situational training. Especially in these days.

As for projecting Chi from the eyes, well.. we're just not that advanced yet.. By the way, could you explain "projecting Chi from the eyes? ( a real curiosity, not a loaded question)..

Don't misunderstand. Of course I don't mean like shooting "chi bullets" from the eyes. :eek: Shen Chi or spirit energy starts with focus. Power can be added to any movement through focus. Turning the eyes turns the head which turns the spine. When you throw someone you can get more power by visualizing the throw into the ground instead of at it. An arc can be turned into a full circle by completing it with the eyes. These methods of visualization will add power at any level. As a matter of fact, you're willingness to train blindfolded probably requires a higher level.:cool:

Nexus
12-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Projecting with the eyes need not be some advanced application TCBob. It is actually something you learn at many schools early on, though few remember to do it!

It was taught to me first by Lao Ma and then by Master Zhang both doing two different applications. Lao Ma taught it doing push hands working with the 'push' where you open the eyes and project intention to the horizon, increasing the power of your push. Zhang taught it with hsing-i chopping (wood element), raising the eyebrows and opening the eyes wide.

TaiChiBob
12-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Greetings..

Intention, by my experience, is not dependent on vision.. I usually push-hands with my eyes closed.. the energy doesn't deceive.. but, the appearance of movement is often designed to deceive, to elicit a response from the opponent.. Now, i don't spar regularly with my eyes closed (i figure it's just bad luck).. but we do get aggressive while blindfolded.. learning to fall while blinded is a very useful asset..

In the late '70s i accidentally got some toxic chemicals in my eyes (organic acrilymides) and my eyes were bandaged for 6 days.. the first couple of days were torture, but the remaining time was a life-altering education.. learning to sense balance without the benefit of sight is difficult, but rewarding.. you can actually "find your center".. from there you move much more differently than when guided by sight, much more instinctively.. In fact, i am considering some sensory deprivation training.. It's too easy to assume we will always have the benefit of all our senses.. not to mention the heightened awarenesses when training without them..

Just a different perspective, non-contentious.. Be well..

Nexus
12-13-2002, 04:17 PM
Tai Chi Bob,
Thank you for sharing.

RIght you are, we should not and shall not become attached to our senses for they can give us over-confidence. As my teacher would say, A person with a weapon usually feels overconfident because of the weapon, and the first mistake they make with that overconfidence is attacking you, even if you dont have one.

As far as closed-eye training is concerned, your recommendation several months ago or perhaps it was guohens :shrug: was inspiration to do some eyes-closed standing meditation work. It has certainly paid off and has become much easier with time as well as obviously identifying the center which (low and behold) is the lower dan tien (them chinese had something, they did!)

Well thank you again and always open to your insights and experience.

Waidan
12-13-2002, 04:58 PM
I'd have to say my "favorite" strike changes weekly, depending on what material I'm focusing on. Generally though, I really like zuan chuan. It's fast, difficult to intercept, and I can get a lot of mustard behind it.

I've also got some methods using heart piercing palm and our "bear strike" (basically a downward slapping palm) that are just dynomite :)