PDA

View Full Version : Books

08-03-2000, 05:12 AM
We all (probably) have our own list of Kung Fu books...

Which of all those that you have read would you regard most insightfull (I'm looking to increase my own collection)

tricky-fist
08-03-2000, 08:00 PM
I haven’t read all that many, but I can recommend three.
Glen Doyle (a Hung Gar Sifu from Toronto) wrote a book called ‘The Martial Artists Way’, that helped me in my search for a Sifu. I liked Adam Hsu’s ‘The Sword Polisher’s Record’ and I recently browsed through an excellent book by Tim Cartnell (sp?) on combat throws… I believe he specializes in Bagua and Hsing-I.
Oh, hang on… ‘Iron and Silk’ by Mark Salzman. That’s the book that got me interested in kung-fu back in high school.
Respects,
TF

Lung Ying
08-03-2000, 08:53 PM
Hi Phu Le.

I definitely recomend Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods by Robert Smith (not the lead singer of the Cure). Smith studied with a bunch of masters in Taiwan, including the great Chen Man Ching. Each chapter is about his experience with each master and their teaching methods.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

David
08-09-2000, 11:09 PM
I'll second Lung Ying's choice and add "The Powers of Internal Martial Arts" by B.K. Frantzis (about hsing i/bagua/taiji). I like to pick it up and open it at a random page to read some.