PDA

View Full Version : Top MA Books??

Wilson
12-12-2002, 09:36 AM
I posted this in the Martial Media location but I'm not sure anyone looks over there. Got a couple really good responses and was hoping for some more............

I was hoping all of you with more/different experience and time in martial arts could help me in my search for knowlege by recommending some books that you have read on the Martial Arts, Martial Philosophy, and general Eastern philosophy. I tried to put a list together and found that I only have 9 that I've read and would recommend. As you can tell, I have a long way to go. In no order:

Art of War - Sun Tzu
Zen in the Martial Arts - Joe Hyams
Living the Martial Way - Forrest Morgan
Kodo - Ancient Ways - Kensho Furuya
Book of Five Rings - Musashi (translation by Stephen Kaufman)
Warrior Within - John Little
Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu
Tao of Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee
Tao of Gung Fu - Bruce Lee

Please list title and author so I can look them up and get a better idea of the content.

Thanks again!

Souljah
12-12-2002, 05:16 PM
a very popular one = kung fu:history philosophy and technique by david chow and richard spangler

PHILBERT
12-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Souljah
a very popular one = kung fu:history philosophy and technique by david chow and richard spangler

That would be on my list without a doubt. Great book, shows so many different arts in it. Only wish they had some Shuai Chiao (maybe they do and I missed it?)

yenhoi
12-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Any book from Marc "TheAnimal" MacYoung, or Pavel Tsatsouline. Both have websites you can get thier books from.

yenhoi
12-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Renzo and Royler Gracie have a BJJ book out, its very decent. Also The Fighters Notebook is very handy, cant remember which website I bought it from.

Prairie
12-13-2002, 01:45 AM
"Practical Chin Na: A Detailed Analysis of the Art of Seizing and Locking" by Zhao Da Yuan.

This book is far out.

Former castleva
12-13-2002, 10:06 AM
"Any book from Marc "TheAnimal" MacYoung, or Pavel Tsatsouline. Both have websites you can get thier books from."
MacYoung´s self-protection books are probably great but differ greatly from what he has already mentioned,not that MA related I think.

It seems that those books that you have listed Wilson,do place plenty of emphasis on philosophy and theory.
There are many translations of Tao Te Ching on www,and also some translations of The Book of Five Rings.
The same goes for Art of War too (you might want to take this into consideration if you´re going to get those books.I do not know of actual copies besides those on www though)
Since you listed Tao Te Ching,which is not too martial,you might also want to take a look at "Chinese Classics" etc. which includes many books like that of changes (I-Ching) and Zhuangzi and others.

GeneChing
12-13-2002, 11:12 AM
Kung Fu Elements by Liang Shouyu & Wen Chingwu (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/bw005.html)

Rockwood
12-13-2002, 11:33 AM
The Power of Internal Martial Arts by BK Frantzis

Chinese Boxing Masters and Methods by RW Smith

Structure of Aikido by Gaku Homma

Principles of Effortless Power by Peter Ralston

Steal My Art by TT Liang and Stuart Olsen

-Jess O

Empty Fist
12-16-2002, 06:26 AM
Here is my list

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/member-fil/-/A2PF3BR4YALOTS/103-1854740-1507841

count
12-16-2002, 07:52 AM
Tai Chi Touchstones: Yang Family Secret Transmissions. by Douglas Wile

Liang Zhen Pu
Eight Diagram Palm
Translated by Huang Guo Qi
Compiled by Vince Black
(Better if you can read the original by Li Zi Ming

A must for any collection
Chin Na
by Yang Jwing Ming

A personal and slightly biased pick
The Invisible Web
by Dr. Su Yu Chang

Cody
12-16-2002, 08:25 AM
and,

Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Chi Kung --
Yang Jwing-Ming

The Unfettered Mind. Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master --
Takuan Soho (trans. William Scott Wilson)

The Sword & the Mind --
trans. Hiroaki Sato