PDA

View Full Version : training your fists

45degree fist
12-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Any tips on how to increase ones punching speed and strength. I currently use a wall bag and also train with resistance bands. what other training methods are apllied in the WC world.

anerlich
12-12-2002, 07:22 PM
If you're talking speed, sprinters, the fastest humans on the planet, generally work technique, resistance training (e.g. with the bands), plyometrics and overspeed.

For the technique of punching fast, ask your sifu. Relaxation of muscles not required to punch and reduction of wasted motion are usually seen as important attributes.

Resistance training - weights, resistance bands, etc.

Plyo's - lots of websites, try google.

Overspeed - the opposite of resistance, like towing swimmers through the water. Turn your resistance bands around, secure them to a wall in front of you and punch with the band pulling your punches forward. Also works well for linear kicks. Be a little careful as it is easy to injure joints if you are too gung ho - same with plyo's.

If you can find an Impax bag or similar, that measures force and/or reaction time, this will allow you to measure the results giving you a good indication of what works and what doesn't.

yenhoi
12-12-2002, 07:26 PM
1 second using one or two hands?

Ish
12-13-2002, 05:26 AM
2 hands i would imagine unless you only have 1.

TkdWarrior
12-13-2002, 06:36 AM
i see someone voted for 6+ strikes per second...
so mind raising ur hand :D,...
just curious...
i can do it 2-3 that's it...
-TkdWarrior-

Grendel
12-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Why is this thread called "training your fists?"

IronFist
12-13-2002, 01:05 PM
I just did 18 punches in 5 seconds so that's like 3.6 per second. I don't know how strong they were, but I also just woke up and haven't eaten in a while.

IronFist

fa_jing
12-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TkdWarrior
just curious...
-TkdWarrior-

Roll punches, dude. Not like the punches you're used to.

JaRmEz
12-13-2002, 02:26 PM
when u say roll punches do you mean chain punches is it just a different translation or somthing cuz i can do 2-3-4 chain punches a second. i find the best way to train strenth is to punch twice with one arm at a taget and then use a power strike with your other arm this helped me get rid of my unbalanced arms dunno if it will work to make both ur arms REALY strong but i would just say practis makes perfect

curtis
12-13-2002, 03:58 PM
This is the wingchun forum.RIGHT??
I find that most wingchuners can throw 6 punches per sec. that is if thay have trained for any time. and have been tought properly,

I was told that Bruce Lee could throw 8 per sec. (thats beyond me, but I know one or two who might be able to do it TOO.)

Tkd .
speed is a type of power in its self, if you try for any more power than whats natural, you will only slow down your punches.

What I suggest is train for speed,first. lose and natural.
then YOU can train for power .

Power is an art in its self. and should be explored with a opened mind.
Dont TRY TO mix speed and power together.at least for learning purposes.
Good luck in your training.

C.A.G.

PHILBERT
12-13-2002, 08:02 PM
I can only do maybe between 4 and 5 in a second, but thats if I am relaxed and my muscles are not tired.

YungChun
12-13-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by TkdWarrior
just curious...
-TkdWarrior-

It's called Chain Punching, a drill and technique used in Wing Chun. 6 per second is a good number for an experienced student - of course quality vs quantity does come into play.

Here's what they look like coming at you :o

http://www.dallaswingtsun.com/PortugueseWTguy.mpa

This clip always cracks me up. (not my lineage)

Grendel
12-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by YungChun
It's called Chain Punching, a drill and technique used in Wing Chun. 6 per second is a good number for an experienced student - of course quality vs quantity does come into play.

Here's what they look like coming at you :o

http://www.dallaswingtsun.com/PortugueseWTguy.mpa

Yeah, great. :rolleyes: He didn't connect with a single one of his flailing punches. IMO, a good Wing Chun person would have knocked his on his azz.

If throwing a bunch of untargeted, unfocused punches is what readers of the Wing Chun Kuen forum thinks is Wing Chun, then we're all a bunch of Wing Chun wannabees.

Look beyond the pointing finger to what years of proper training in the art can produce. Trying to be powerful and fast is a sure path to Wing Chun failure. Stick to Tae Kwan Do if that's what you want to develop.

Regards,

YungChun
12-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Grendel

Yeah, great. :rolleyes: He didn't connect with a single one of his flailing punches. IMO, a good Wing Chun person would have knocked his on his azz.

If throwing a bunch of untargeted, unfocused punches is what readers of the Wing Chun Kuen forum thinks is Wing Chun, then we're all a bunch of Wing Chun wannabees.

Look beyond the pointing finger to what years of proper training in the art can produce. Trying to be powerful and fast is a sure path to Wing Chun failure. Stick to Tae Kwan Do if that's what you want to develop.

Regards,

Easy there big guy! No one is/was touting this as good Wing Chun except perhaps the people who made the clip. Moreover I don't think anyone here is saying that you need to be able to punch a dozen times per second to have good kung-fu, and on and on.

Like I said: That clip always cracks me up.

PHILBERT
12-13-2002, 09:26 PM
YungChun, are you by chance a member of that school? I train under one of the 3 instructors mentioned on the website you posted (dallaswingtsun.com) and just was curious if you did too.

Grendel
12-13-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by YungChun

Easy there big guy! No one is/was touting this as good Wing Chun except perhaps the people who made the clip. Moreover I don't think anyone here is saying that you need to be able to punch a dozen times per second to have good kung-fu, and on and on.

Like I said: That clip always cracks me up.

Well, the expressions on the two opponents' faces were certainly funny. :D

Don't overlook my other comments, although I think this thread is wrong-headed. I don't think you can separate "training your fists" proper from doing Wing Chun if one is going about it correctly.

I still enjoy your sig. :D

Regards,

YungChun
12-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
YungChun, are you by chance a member of that school? I train under one of the 3 instructors mentioned on the website you posted (dallaswingtsun.com) and just was curious if you did too.

Nope. Different lineage.

YungChun
12-13-2002, 10:00 PM

Well, the expressions on the two opponents' faces were certainly funny. :D

Yes they are indeed.

Don't overlook my other comments, although I think this thread is wrong-headed. I don't think you can separate "training your fists" proper from doing Wing Chun if one is going about it correctly.

I think I understand what your saying. To much importance on the superficial?

I am largely a tradionalist, but I do believe, and have been taught that most any/all elements in the system may be isolated and trained. Some of the best people I know have taken the whole system apart (their words) worked on each piece and put it all back together again. I think working Chain Punches is good so long one understands the context of the component(s).

I still enjoy your sig. :D

Thanks! I just caught some flack for it a little while back in the main forum.

yenhoi
12-13-2002, 11:31 PM
I can punch at least 6 times in a second - straight punches, change them to hammer fists, and Im sure I can do more. With 2 sticks, I am almost upto 12 strikes in 1 second, with a goal of 18 (1 set). Anyone can, its easy, but it has very little to do with fighting.

How about elbows?!

Mr Punch
12-14-2002, 03:29 AM
It's no biggie. I was measured at an average of 8/sec over 5 secs to various heights of target (sectioned wall bag) after 2 years of training (haven't measured them since). Dunno how strong they were but they felt OK.

We were only measuring them out of interest... don't really see any relevance to good kungfu, unless you can get the power too. So I'd agree with Yung Chun and Grendel.

As for my elbows... man, I can knit a jumper with them in five minutes! :D

As for training punches specifically, I think Anerlich's hit it on the nail, but try not to concentrate overmuch on just punching, it's inseparable from the rest of your wing chun.

Yung Chun: what flak did you get?!