PDA

View Full Version : Sai

Leto
12-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Anyone who has trained in kobudo/kobujutsu, or sai-jutsu...(or the Chinese equivalent, if there is one)...What are your experiences with the quality of the sai that are commonly available on the market today? Like the ones you might be able to buy on this site, or in most martial arts supply stores. how well do they stand up to forceful contact, with wooden objects, metal objects, other sai? Have you ever broken any?

I am looking for sai of quality. A pair (or three) that are well made, strong steel, can handle 'real' use, deflecting blows from hardwood and other metal implements...that could be thrown, and wouldn't shatter upon impacting something hard. (I know this is never assured...but some metals and forging techniques make for stronger weapons than others).

I suspect most sai on the market today are cast from a mold, and I am unsure of the quality of metal used, as the type is never really specified by the distributors. I wonder how well these would stand up to anything resembling real use. And I wonder if there are any craftsmen or companies that make sai intended for 'real' use or practice. I am going to start focusing in the sai much more, and want a set I can depend on for hopefully a long time.

Radhnoti
12-13-2002, 10:09 AM
I have seen this fellows work...even I can see it's a cut above, but I don't claim any sort of expert status.

www.weaponsconnection.com/

It's a bit more pricy, but seems to be what you're looking for, check it out if you get a chance.

Leto
01-07-2003, 09:48 AM
those look like good quality...even says 'suitable for throwing', though who knows for sure. One other site I have found that offers hand made carbon steel sai is cheaper...but I don't know what the difference in quality might be. but darn, so expensive...
I guess it's worth it, for a dependable weapon though.

Anthroman
01-15-2003, 10:33 AM
From my understanding the problem with most of the sai's on the market is that they are too light (cheap chrome ones). You need one that has the proper weight to be able to use them correctly. I don't study sai so I can't really explain that further, but just something to think about.

Leto
01-16-2003, 08:28 AM
yes, exactly. I dont trust the chrome plated cast steel sai commonly available. That's why I'm looking for some made of carbon steel, or stainless steel, that are intended for 'real' use.