PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar - wubei, vilage style, ha say fu etc.. Anyone know anything about these?

Tiger
08-04-2000, 01:35 AM
Hey all

I was reading the past threads of this forum and noticed people talking about different types of Hung Gar such as wubei hung gar, vilage hung ga and ha say fu. Some are ssupposed to be nothing like the Hung Gar of Wong Fei Hung Lineage. Is anyone out there who knows anything about these, their history and forms ? Does anyone know how many different types and what they are? Do they all come from Hung Hei Kwun and if not why are they called hung gar, if so how come they are so different? Can anyone shed light on these questions?
Thanks

hasayfu
08-04-2000, 04:30 AM
I can speak for Ha Say Fu. It supposedly traces it's origin to Hung Hei Kwun. It "looks" nothing like Wong Fei Hong/Canton Hung Gar and doesn't share any of the sets. It doesn't even use the kiu sau.

On the otherhand, it is steeped in southern shaolin concepts and shares many ideas with Canton Hung Gar's internal/advance sets.

From an American perspective, I would not call it Hung Gar because it seems closer to Wing Chun (in appearance only).

But in Hong Kong, Taiwan and China, there are many books that are titled Hung Gar Kung Fu and have sets that look closer to Ha Say Fu then Canton Hung Gar.

They all claim to originate from Hung Hei Kwun so you may have something there. On the otherhand, it may be like all the styles that are supposedly started by Ng Mui.

Hung Hei Kwun has a legendary status so it's nice to associate with him. In fact, is there any proof (documents, etc) that show Hung Hei Kwun taught Luk Ah Choy? As far as I know, Luk Ah Choy is the oldest person that there is definite proof existed.

Paul Skrypichayko
08-04-2000, 11:14 AM
Hung Hei Guen was Luk Ah Choy's sihing. Both learned under Jee Sim at the southern shaolin temple, but Hung Hei Guen is seen as the patriarch because his name is used to represent the style.

Nowadays, the term "hung gar" is just a name. Many people have turned it into a generic term for southern kung fu.

hung gar guy
08-06-2000, 01:46 AM
Hung Hei Gun being Luk Ah Choy's sihing? That's a new one. Where did you get that bit of info?

hung gar guy
08-06-2000, 02:00 AM
Tit Kiu Sam lineage is often times neglected, as for Tit Kiu Sam lineage here are some of the noted sifu that came from that branch--

Lam Fok Sing, Ngau Gei, Ma Ji Tim, Si Yiu Leung, Ng Hei Gwan, and Choi Jan.

These are some of the better known students of this lineage. Who knows maybe you can track some people down now. It can help with the history gathering.

Paul Skrypichayko
08-06-2000, 02:55 AM
I got that info from a few sources, my sifu, some books and magazines. The most relieble source of info was an article about the history of hung gar kung fu by a historian from Hong Kong or Guangzhou, published in the HKCMAA yearbook, 1976 edition.

As for Tit Kiu Sam lineage, there are some students of Lai Ng Sam that are on the web. Do a search for them, or check out my links page.

Je Lei Sifu
08-07-2000, 10:57 AM
Hung Hei Gune was the SiHing to Luk Ah Choy. It is a know fact that Luk Ah Choy studied with Gee Sin Sim See and continued his training under Hung. Although he had learned under Hung, do to the fact that he originally studied with the abbot makes him a si-di to Hung.

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

timelyrain
08-13-2000, 10:59 AM
I'll give you a monkey wrench, there is another system of Hung Gar called the Hung Mun which red door this system of Hung Gar is a triad style only used for attacking the foreigners who were trying to take over China. Especially during the Boxer Rebellion. Got Questions

Paul Skrypichayko
08-14-2000, 03:02 AM
Hung mun has about as much to do with Hung Gar as that Ha Say Fu style. Hung mun and Hung gar have the same word "hung" in it. Hung mun is actually the Chinese Freemason's Association, more a political and social club. Sure they have their own kung fu, so does Yau Kung Mun, and lots of other associations.
Hung Gar is named after Hung Hei Guen, one of the top students of the Southern Shaolin temple. I'm pretty sure Hung Mun is named after Hung Sau Choon, the chief instigator of the Taiping Rebellion.

Timelyrain, nice name. Song Jiang is your favorite? I'm kind of partial to Da Lu and Lin Chong, hehe.

Wah Ren Jie
08-14-2000, 03:03 AM
In regards to the Hung mun system. There are many systems labled as Hung Gar. This particular triad system has nothing to do with Hung Hei Guen though.

Je Lei Sifu
08-14-2000, 08:53 AM
The Chinese character for hung in the style of hung gar kuen is written differently the the hung that is written for hung mun. As you have stated my monkey wrench giving friend hung in hung mun means red as in the color red, also pronounce hung sik. The character hung in hung gar means to stand tall with integrity.

So where is the monkey wrench now?

Thanks Paul and Sai Ping Dai Ma /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif