PDA

View Full Version : Kun Tao

Boz_man
08-05-2000, 12:42 AM
Does anyone here know anything about Kun Tao or take it?

MonkeySlap
08-05-2000, 02:58 AM
I have been pretty heavily exposed to it. Why do you ask?

Boz_man
08-05-2000, 08:03 AM
I take it and I was just wondering about it. Not many people talk about it or seem to know an incredible amount about it so i was just curious.

silat1
08-18-2000, 02:12 AM
I have had the privilege of training/ teaching in both the Hokkien and Filipino versions of Kuntao for the last 25 yrs. I started training in kuntao when I lived on Taiwan and trained in the Maharlika Kuntaw system when I lived in the Philippines. I feel that the art of Kuntao is what suits my needs at the present time and will stay with it for as long as I am able

------------------
Maharlika Kuntaw

MonkeySlap Too
08-18-2000, 02:20 AM
The term Kun Tao is pretty broad based, incorporating many schools and styles. I reccomend reading this months Journal of ASian Martial Arts for an article on what the term means.

Other than that, just like Kung Fu, Wu Shu, Guo Shu, Chuan Fa, Kenp, Silat it's a general term for fighting arts from particular region and the quiality varies from school to school.

I've met and trained with some pretty impressive Kun Tao exponents, and some really unimpressive ones.

silat1
08-19-2000, 06:11 AM
I have researched a lot of different kuntao systems since I have been training in this art. Granted there are some good and not so good practitioners in Kuntao, but most of the people I have met have been straight forward and dedicated to their art. The Kuntaoers I have met have been affiliated with the more traditional chinese and filipino arts, they believe in quality not quantity in their students. The instructors who I have had the privilege of training with have been those who have been able to walk the walk and talk the talk, unlike some of the more major people who say they teach kuntao, but what they do teach is something totally different and closely resembles Karate.

As a friend of mine in kuntao says, we are the most misunderstood martial art in the world and hopefully will remain so.

Also, let's remember that Kuntao is just a name to identify the package, as in the Filipino Martial arts, it can be used to identify a location, individual or family.

Bill

------------------
Maharlika Kuntaw

Shaolin Temple
02-12-2001, 07:09 AM
This is the style of Southern Shaolin kung fu that karate originated from. Archeological and historical evidence have dated that Okinawa karate is from this style.

Kun tao is originally known as Ngor Chor or as some spell it...ngo cho(r).

In Malaysia the holder of this art is Datuk Master Chee Kim Thong and in Phillipines the current teachers are Alex Co.

Ngor chor kun became go ju ryu in Japan and also Ueichi ryu.

The current expert exponent and keeper of this great art is Datuk master Chee Kim Thong of Malaysia. For those of you who may have heard of him, his first disciple is Yap Cheng Hai and amongst many others...Yap Leong. Even Wong Kiew Kit have consulted Master Chee.

So who is Datuk master Chee Kim Thong?
All those in the Southern Shaolin range in China know about him. In the west, his name is very pronounced as well.

Grand Master Chee Kim Thong, who was awarded the title National Living Treasure of China (by the Chinese Government) due to his unrivalled knowledge and abilities.

The government have invited him back several times to the Southern Shaolin to preserve the arts of the South.

What is Wu Chu Chuan (Cantonese) or Wuzuquan (Mandarin) or Ngor Chor Kun (Fujian dialect, they are all the same...just different pronounciation due to dialects.

History:

Shaolin Wu Zu Quan, or Five Ancestors Fist is, as its name suggests, based on the combination of five major systems. These systems evolved as a result of five great masters combining their knowledge to create a single system under the direction of the famous Bak Yu-Feng in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1367). Each of the Masters discovered that the others were skilled in a way different to their own, and realised that together, they could contribute the strong points of their art toward the development of a single system.

Tat Choon (Bodhidharma) : meditation and breathing techniques utilised for the development of Qi
(pronounced 'chee' : this is the body's intrinsic energy, and is literally 'the stuff of life'). These exercises also lead to the development of hand skills.

Luohan (or The Immortal) : techniques are based on dynamic body movements and correct posture.

Tai Chor : this was the martial nickname of the first Emperor of the Sung Dynasty (Chao K'ang
Yin) - a very famous and skilled Martial Arts practitioner whose techniques employed tremendous
accuracy with every action executed proportionately and with the minimum of wasted effort.

Peh Hoke (White Crane) : based on the methods by which the majestic and graceful bird defends
itself using unpredictable and tricky movements. The finger and hand techniques of Wu Zu Quan
owe much to the White Crane.

Soo Heng Cheh (Monkey) : the relaxed wrist for blocking and striking and the agility and
sure-footedness of the monkey provides the basis for the system's stepping, allowing smooth yet
speedy movement in and out of the opponent's fighting range.

Shaolin Wu Zu Quan is a Martial Art which relies not merely on physical strength, but on precise
and well-defined movements which are only fully effective when executed in a relaxed and efficient
manner. Thus, contrary to common opinion, female practitioners are paticularly adept in this
particular system. This point was exemplified by a legendary figure in Chinese Martial Arts (Hian
Loo) who is referred to simply as 'The Lady in the Green Dress'. This figure added refinement to
the systems mentioned above and epitomises the virtue of humility.

MonkeySlap Too
02-12-2001, 10:07 PM
KunTao is not a specific style, it is a word that has come to refer to martial arts in general in the Nusantra communities. Five Ancestor Fist is a form of Kun Tao, just like it is a form of WuShu or Kung Fu or may even be called Silat in the Bahasa speaking countries.

In the US KunTao often refers to Chinese influenced arts in these regions - but the term also referred to Pencak Silat arts as well before the rise of nationalism. Now you are just as likely to see 'KunTao' arts reffered to as Silat over there.

Saying that five ancestor fist IS Kun Tao is like saying Jeet Kune Do IS Kung Fu. It is a gross misunderstanding of the common usage of a term.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.