PDA

View Full Version : Ship Pal Gye?

taichi4eva
12-13-2002, 07:50 PM
Does anyone have info on this style?

I did some research on the internet and found out that it is a Korean version of the Shandong Praying Mantis. After some more web searching, I learned that an association in Argentina teaches this style, which includes barehand forms and weapons. The weapons that were listed in the "armas" section seem truly eclectic- some are Chinese in origin, others are Japanese, Mongolian, etc. The fifteen weapons included the dao (Chinese broadsword), qiang (Chinese spear), gwun (staff), ssang bong (double stick...sounds Korean), nunchucks, ken (Japanese sword), knife, shield, double knives, bayonnet, whip, belt, axe, and the bow and arrow.

Also, I wanted to ask if there were any kung-fu practicioners that practice a nunchaku form?

7kicks
12-14-2002, 03:57 PM
Just more chung moo do crap. It is suppose to be the 18 weapons.

MonkeySlap Too
12-16-2002, 12:58 PM
There actually is a Korean CMA group called Ship Pal Gay. Chull Kim appropriated the name along his other eight styles to 'found' Chung Moo Doe. Who knows who these Argentinians are...

argentino
12-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Si Pal Ki in Korea is sometimes used as a generic word for Chinese Martial Arts somethig like "gong fu" here in the west.
Therefore some of the Korean Si Pal Ki schools include legitimate gong fu in their curriculums (most of them ba gua zhang and tang lang quan).

There are legitimate branches of Mei Hua Tang Lang Quan and Tai Ji Mei Hua Tang Lang Quan in Korea.

About the Si Pal Ki branch in Argentina, it is leaded by Soo Nam Yoo (9th Dan). I will be polite and just say that it has the same name... just that.

There are no Chinese gong fu elements in the arts taught by this master in South America. It seems to be a kind of Karate, and the instructors emphasis is on fighting therefore they produced some interesting fighters... However, let me repeat this NO Chinese heritage can be seen in his art.

Best regards