PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Movies

RAYNYSC
12-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Any of you guys care to add onto this list of movies that have Mantis in them,regaurdless of how small a part it plays in the movie.

1) Thundering Mantis(Good Guy)
2) Shaolin Mantis(Villian)
3) Death dual of Kung Fu(Good & Villian)
4) Death Chamber(Villian)
5) Eagel's Claw(Villian)
6) Sleeping Fist(Good)
7) Tiger over the wall(Good)
8) Snake in the Eagel's shadow(Villian)
9) Dance of the drunk Mantis(Villian)
10) Warriors Two(Villian)
11) The Master(Villian)
12) My Young Auntie(Good)
13) The Emperor's Son(Good)
14) Shaolin Temple(Good)
15) Tai Chi Master 2(Good)

Peace:D

dezhen2001
12-17-2002, 02:39 AM
- Iron fisted monk (villain)

dawood

yutyeesam
12-17-2002, 07:07 AM
There's a completely wacky movie called 7 Star Grand Mantis. I don't think the movie itself had anything to do with Praying Mantis, though. THe teacher started doing some weird movie kung-fu and shouted "7 Star Grand Mantis!"

Oso
12-18-2002, 07:38 AM
This is an old Jackie Chan flick I have and in one of the
flashback training seens with Jackie's character as a kid
it looks like the kid is doing a version of bung bo.

I've been meaning to ask if anyone could verify this as so.

Matt

dezhen2001
12-19-2002, 04:45 AM
never heard of snake fist fighter mate :) could u mean Master with cracked fingers? (possibly one of a few names) when the drunken master is the guy who teaches him... He does Mantis i think, and ends up fighting blindfolded etc.

At the start they tlak about the different lineages of mantis anyway...

dawood

Oso
12-19-2002, 06:03 AM
yep, that's the one.
It's in a 'boxed' set of two movies here in the states
"New Fist of Fury" and "Snake Fist Fighter"

but repackaged and retitled I'm sure.

thanks

Matt

dezhen2001
12-19-2002, 07:08 AM
kewl... new fist of fury is a bit crap but some funny stuff in there anyway :D Does it have Jackie using the 3 section pole? its a pretty kewl part :)

as for 'snake fist fighter', did you notice the trianing sequence from drunken master they spliced in to the movie? pretty funny lol

The movie originally was called 'cub tiger from kwan tung' and was only around 1/2 finished. So they added the drunken master stuff and also used a body double (hence the blindfold scene when u cant really see his face and the style looks a bit different). Then they repackaged it and released after Drunken Master and Snake in Eagles Shadow were big hits :)

Both pretty cool movies to see a VERY young Jackie, even before his 'eye opening' operation (if u noticed?) :)

dawood

Oso
12-19-2002, 08:03 AM
Oddly, or not so oddly, what is in the box with "SFF" is
"Fearless Hyena" part one. I have "FH" packaged by itself
w/o any 'part 1' or 'part 2'.

"NFF/SFF" are my girlfriends not mine and I've only watched
SFF once. I mean to watch FH pt 1 to see what's up with the
titling. The FH I have is one of my favorite JC movies. The
swinging sit up board scene is pretty cool.

I will watch again and look for the DM scene. This edition
is produced by Simitar and is dubbed in EP so it really sucks
and is way choppy. It really seemed as if they cut and spliced
a portion of the beginning somewhere in the middle but then
again, I've only seen it once.

I did notice that Jackie looked very different.

Matt

HuangKaiVun
12-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Jackie Chan's "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" features the 7-Star Mantis style.

It is used by the provincial champion who fights Chan, the top student in the rival Hung Wei school.

That movie also features Chiu Chi Ling doing Hung Ga in that movie. He's the one that got his hand broken on the brick.

Oso
12-22-2002, 04:16 PM
HKV,

cool, I'll check out that one as well.

Has anyone had any experience w/

www.rarekungfumovies.com

???

yutyeesam
12-22-2002, 09:36 PM
I just found another one. It is called "Mantis Fists & Tiger Claws".

It is put out by Black Belt Theatre, from Ground Zero Entertainment. They have some good stuff. I saw a preview of this movie, and it looks like a fun little flick.

Anyways, check it out at:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.1917/qx/details.htm

You may be able to find this at Best Buy as well, under the DVD Special Interest area (you know, the section that has all those girls gone wild videos :D ).

dezhen2001
12-24-2002, 02:37 AM
fearless heyena was the original, the 1st movie Jackie directed as far as i am aware... the last scene with the 3 halberds is amazing! so close it really impressed me.

lo wei created a sequel with jackie starting to film it. that was when he 'got out' of the contract with lo wei and went to golden harvest, so the rest was made up from doubles and stuff... mediocre at best imo but some cool scenes as only jackie can do.

dawood

Oso
12-24-2002, 05:39 AM
dezhen,
nice history, thanks. I didn't know any of that.
FH has always been the fav's of the one's I know, which isn't
that many.

No one has replied about rarekungfumovies.com...

I'm going to order one after all this xmas stuff is over (and I
have money again ) I'll give a review afterwards.

Matt

dezhen2001
12-24-2002, 06:19 AM
no problem, call it a mis-spent youth... *cough* last few years anyway :D If you are interested in Jackie then theres a good book called "My life in Action" and also the video called "My story" which basically has a lot of information about his life up until Who Am I? was being filmed :)

dawood

Nevermind
12-26-2002, 09:31 AM
I don't know if Southern Mantis qualifies since it doesn't actually mimick the mantis, but check out Invincible Shaolin starring the Venoms. Lo Mang (the Toad) learns Southern Mantis. Not too knowledgeable on the style but he really is a Southern Mantis stylist in real life. I often wondered why it is called "Mantis Fist" in the movie but he does no mantis techniques. Then I read that Southern Mantis doesn't really mimick the insect, so now it makes sense.

[Censored]
12-26-2002, 12:30 PM
No matter how small a part?

- Shaolin Soccer
- King of Beggars