PDA

View Full Version : FT's YAUKUNGMUN video review!

sing fu
12-16-2002, 05:11 AM
Just got the YKM video - anyway, FT asked if I would let people know what I thought of the video, so here goes!

One of the biggest strengths the video has is that it covers much of the YKM foundations (stance-work, strikes, kicks etc) from several important levels - the video starts off with lots of carefully detailed YKM basics, then goes on later to include lots of partner training (including basics against a decent range of attacks and combinations in different ranges). There's LOTS of traditional conditioning specific to YKM practice, and Ging development for YKM is also explained and demonstrated clearly.

I hadn't seen much YKM until the video (although FT has a lot of clips on the YKM website), but was in for a surprise with YKM's upright, mobile stance, fast hands/body weapons, and ging power. The authors demonstrate plenty of realistic applications of bridging, limb destructions, YKM chin-na seizes, throws and locks used to dissipate strikes, kicks and grabs. A section of the video is devoted to YKM vital points/angles and body weapons shown in the video.

YKM's first form, Ly Jik Bo is also detailed from several angles, and features most of the basic strikes, footwork and movement introduced earlier in the tape. YKM full-contact free-sparring by the two authors of the video is also introduced.

Towards the end of the video, a preview of YKM weapons is included - a strong traditional weapons demonstration. Single broadsword, spear, staff, spear vs. twin broadswords, three sectional staff, kwando etc are shown, many not featured on the YKM website.

I have to say that the part of the video I liked best was the very last section - nice work FT! - but you'll have to get the video to see what I mean!! :D

All in all it's a pretty meaty video, and about two hours long - couldn't find much fat on it at all - basics, combinations, forms, stretching plus the often hidden conditioning, vital points, and previews to sparring and weapons. Check it out - PLENTY of bang for you buck.

Diamond Talons
12-16-2002, 08:36 AM
See FT you got good review & showed that it's okay to do this thing & noone shouting they now know & can beat the hand & noone yelling about too much given out in video. Good example & I'm going to use it on the old guys who think progress stops where they say & not go as far as a person can go with it. Change scares some people & that's okay if they see that fear is not real & just in their mind.

Oldyela
12-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Is it the correspondence course video or the other video that f t offers? Sounds like the Ly Jik Bo video but i wanted to verify as that seems like a alot of material for one video.

fiercest tiger
12-16-2002, 02:46 PM
It is a 2 hr video that we did that goes with the book, can be used with the book or without. check my website!

D.T

cheers, yes good review.....i was abit worried..lol

sing fu,

Thanks mate, i personally would have did it different as the copyrights wasnt mine, but for a 1st try it was very professional and it was great fun doing it.

FT:)

TaoBoy
12-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by fiercest tiger
It is a 2 hr video that we did that goes with the book, can be used with the book or without. check my website!

Aaah, but will it go with my limited edition YKM boxer shorts? :D

fiercest tiger
12-16-2002, 03:30 PM
sure will and comes with Trojon comdoms but they will be too big for you as all condoms was measure on my big D!ck.......:p

Not to mention steak knives, on the house!!!

FT:D

sing fu
12-16-2002, 03:37 PM
It was the introductory tape on FT's yaukungmun website (http://www.yaukungmun.com.au). It was a LONG tape - Ly JIk Bo was just a short (although comprehensive) section. Seriously, the authors jam-packed this puppy with loads of information.

Adam,

You should see the part where YT demonstrates levitation in his YKM thong (multiple camera angles) - didn't do much for me but your mileage may differ :D

fiercest tiger
12-16-2002, 08:41 PM
levitation hairy a$$ level 3 is my specialty!:)

hahahaha thanks for the review dude.

ji way lung
12-22-2002, 06:09 AM
oh if that's the case then judging by the photos you also measured the lady's shirt by the size of your tits :rolleyes:

fiercest tiger
12-22-2002, 02:18 PM
LOL is that all you have!:)

lets not start getting personal cause i have alot of bad come backs that can insult too!:o

lol merryxmas
FT

David
02-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Bought it. Watched it. Agree with Sing Fu all the way (including the very end lol ;-). The video itself is well made with nice touches and cool soundtrack.

Makes the style very accessible to prospective students and other curious MA's.

Sifus Garry (FT) and Jen Sam have done themselves and YKM proud.

-David

PS Would you believe I said that without sticking my tongue up anyone's ass, hairy or otherwise! :D

fiercest tiger
02-06-2003, 01:41 PM
LOL thanks bro, the best thing was the memories doing the video. some injuries and some good ol arguing about how it should be done etc but great experience all the same.

Thanks for the kind words!!:)
FT

David
02-06-2003, 03:29 PM
...there could be a sequel, hmm? :) There's no one right way to do films ;) hehe

Addendum to my review: -
If anyone doesn't have access to examples of shock power/short power/ging/geng in their style, then it's shown in many parts of the tape.

rgds
-David

joedoe
02-06-2003, 03:31 PM
FT, how do I get hold of it - can I order it off your website?

David
02-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Joedoe, that reminds me - the website is distinctly lacking in ordering instructions FT.

-David

Tsuruken
02-06-2003, 05:19 PM
I've just ordered the video from Sifu Garry and am sure that it will be well worth the money!

I see a tremendous similarity between Garry's art and our own Paihequan Wuyangkuang. I also see a great deal of common ground between us as instructors of the arts, we seem to share the same down to earth approach!

Keep up the terrific work Garry, I hope to catch up with you in person during 2003 so we can share some of our arts together.
Great web site too!

Best wishes,

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Is there a KFO discount?

:eek:

Only kidding!

;)

I may grab a copy Garry - gotta check out the similarities between our styles in more detail.

Ciao.

fiercest tiger
02-06-2003, 08:29 PM
I wish it was cheaper but its not my production, anyway will see you all soon i hope and chat.:)

take care
GARRY:)

Serpent
02-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Dayum, boy, that is one expensive video!

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Dayum, boy, that is one expensive video!

Yup. Pricey alright!

Hey FT - who is Sifu Jen Sam?

BearBear
02-07-2003, 12:15 AM
been saving my pennies since last year with the first review post but this years red packets + birthday money next month and my order will be in da mail!!

not quit that bad but uni fees, uni texts, debts and bills yadda yadda .. u know how it is.. but serious my plain is march - if FT repleis "sold out" at that time i gunna cry!

KFO Discount i like that!!

BearBear Looks at TaoBoy .. "Hok Se Tong Long Vol 1. Fundamentals" $50 ??? hehehe :D

:P

take care all~

FIRE HAWK
02-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi Garry The Yau Kun Mun Videotape is excelent Hakka Sifu needs one if you know what i mean .

fiercest tiger
02-07-2003, 09:10 AM
yes, know what you mean. :)

TaoBoy
02-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by BearBear
BearBear Looks at TaoBoy .. "Hok Se Tong Long Vol 1. Fundamentals" $50 ??? hehehe :D

Sorry BB - we don't do videos. But if you want to learn come to Melbourne or to Sydney. We will be happy to show you some stuff.

:)

FT - about Sifu Jen Sam...some info please.

Peace.

fiercest tiger
02-08-2003, 11:50 PM
I dont think the ykm video is expensive when you can order tapes from video martial arts supplies online for 39:95 USD and in pounds adding up to the same as in AUD AUSSIE DOLLARS. Not to mention that the video has more work put into it then most out there 2 hrs long with non stop info.

ive payed money for videos with good systems but being crappy editing and info.

about sam, he is my sihing and live now in the phillipines.

FT

David
02-09-2003, 06:55 AM
It's simply worth the money if you have any interest. (In English it was £32 inc postage by airmail).

-David

TaoBoy
02-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by fiercest tiger
I dont think the ykm video is expensive when you can order tapes from video martial arts supplies online for 39:95 USD and in pounds adding up to the same as in AUD AUSSIE DOLLARS. Not to mention that the video has more work put into it then most out there 2 hrs long with non stop info.

ive payed money for videos with good systems but being crappy editing and info.

about sam, he is my sihing and live now in the phillipines.

FT

Hey mate - only tugging on yer tassles regarding the price. It is of course quite comparable to other releases. ;)

What is the availability of the video?

I'm still looking forward to catching up in April.