PDA

View Full Version : one style or two?

littledragon28
12-16-2002, 12:48 PM
I need help in making up my mind. I have been studying Tai Chi
Chuan now for over five months and really enjoy the art, but I also want to learn Wing Chun. Can this be done? Is it possible to "unlearn" what little I've learned. Should I wait until I have learned at least the basics in Tai Chi, or should I just pick only one and stick with that? anyone's input would be helpful. Thx.

JusticeZero
12-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Do one, or the other, until you have firmly wired the one you want to use as your foundation into your muscles. Say, after four or five years. Then you'll be able to see what other people do without compromising your base. To mix arts doesn't necessarily improve it, it's often like fins on a cat. There is a reason why an art does things the way it does, it's trying to make things work better with itself.

infinet
12-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Personally I haven't had a problem with doing Tai Chi and Tiger Boxing and I'm looking into Muay Thai now. Its basically upto you, if you feel you can do more then one style go for it :)

MonkeySlap Too
12-16-2002, 12:55 PM
You'll go nowhere fast trying to combine those two different body mechanics. Decide which school gives you what you need, and go with it. Once you've built in an understanding mechanics, and can use the system you chose, then you can go to the salad bar.

jun_erh
12-16-2002, 01:20 PM
you're trying to tell me that the Shaolin monks don't know ANY other kung fu besides their own?

Souljah
12-16-2002, 02:00 PM
whats the rush little dragon?

MonkeySlap Too
12-16-2002, 02:06 PM
you're trying to tell me that the Shaolin monks don't know ANY other kung fu besides their own?

REPLY: If it's modern Wushu you seek, sure, you can do a lot of 'styles', as long as you remove the mechanics that make them unique and fully functional. I'd take Gymnastics instead of Wing Chun.

Look, I'm a 'garbage can fist' myself, but at the heart of all that stuff is a firm foundation thart I know I can apply.

If you are just interested in memorizing forms, do whatever you like.

If you want to learn martial arts - develop some skill in something first.

If it improves your mindset to 'cross-train', find something that complements your core arts body mechanics. Wing Chun and Taiji are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum.

I hope that helps.

Sho
12-17-2002, 06:53 AM
It is, indeed, possible to unlearn what you have previously been taught. You should concentrate on the new system that you're studying and train hard in it - trying to discard your former routines. If you practice the new system for a long time, the former one will eventually fade away. You will still yield the knowledge of the former system, but if you have trained extensively in the new system, you'll notice that it's actually quite difficult to apply your old techniques. By this I mean, that you'll find it easier and more natural to execute the techniques from your "new style". This is at least what I've noticed and experienced myself, when I changed from a system to another. It's all about how well you are capable of adapting.

TaoBoy
12-17-2002, 06:07 PM
It is possible to learn two arts at the one time...but it can be difficult.

If you are to study two styles, study two that are very different in focus. Say, BJJ and SPM (like me :) ).

If you wish to study two 'stand-up' styles, get a base in one before learning the other.

Studying multiple styles is most beneficial - especially when done in an intelligent manner.

Peace.

Laughing Cow
12-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Good Post by Sho.

I recently switched styles and am in the process of unlearning things(tough) from my old style that go against what I need in the new one. That is within the same style family.

If you study 2 styles at the same time it becomes hard to seperate them 100% and that is what is needed in order to become proficient in either.

I know of WC teachers that also teach parts of Chen TJQ to their students as supplemental training.

If you study 2 styles at the same time, preferably it should be from the same Sifu.

If not BOTH Sifu need to be aware that you study other styles so that they can adjust your training to allow for that.

Just my 0.2 cents worth of thought.

David Jamieson
12-17-2002, 06:25 PM
I was taught from two distinct "styles" at the same time from the same sifu. As well as elements from other styles.

It's different when it comes from the same teacher as opposed to learning from two teachers who have two different methods of teaching.

So it is quite possible and not unheard of. Probably no need to unlearn anything if the teachings are sound.

peace

Stacey
12-17-2002, 07:15 PM
do both. A lot of kung fu styles train in tai chi as well. Tai Chi is perfect for your wing chun. Angles and circles are what makes kung fu great. Depending on how how the tai chi is, you should definately do both.