PDA

View Full Version : Hi =) I need some advice/help

Scott
08-07-2000, 10:02 PM
Hello =) I have been avidly practicing Wing Chun for about 3 months, but now I may be forced to put a hold on my training due to unforseen time restrictions. However, I may be able to take a different style of Kung Fu. I very much like the principals behind Wing Chun and find it a very effective fighting system, but I am very interested in Eagle Claw. I have always thought that grappling, joint locks, and hold/throws would be more effective in a fight. What is your opinion on which martial art would fit alongside my Wing Chun training better than others?

Also, any additional information on Eagle Claw would be appreciated.

-Scott

Lung Ying
08-08-2000, 12:52 AM
Hi Scott-

The best advice I can give you is to carefully choose what discipline you REALLY want to study before you start. Don't study something because it's convienient or cheap or cool, do it because you have thought about it intensely and have decided that it's what you really want. Studying kung fu is a very long process, you don't want to realize in 4 years that the style you are studying isn't really what you wanted or what you thought it would be. Do some research. Get some books or better yet video's. Grandmaster Leung Shum has a bunch of videos on Northern Eagle Claw available in the kung fu magazines, make sure that's what your looking for. Remember that sometimes the school and teacher outweigh the style you choose, so give just as much consideration to the school itself. Man, I know it's hard to find a good teacher and school, believe me I've been there more than once, but if your patient and you look real hard you'll be happy in the end.
To answer your question of what fits best with Wing Chun, well it's entirely a matter of opinion and how you look at it. You may think that another Southern Style is best because it's similar short range fighting, or you may think that a Northern style is best because it is more long range or higher kicking. You may even want something totally different like Judo to add an unexpected twist to your kung fu-who knows? IMHO I would stick with a single style, learn from an authentic source and master it. After you Master something I would only then think about complimenting it with something else, but that's just my opinion.
Best of Luck /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

nospam
08-08-2000, 01:05 AM
Shop around. Find something you like. When you do...nothing will stop you from training.

Scott
08-08-2000, 01:10 AM
I see the wisdom in watcha say.. I am thinking of sticking with Wing Chun exclusively. It's a powerful system, and it fits my views of fighting.

Wing Chun, however, is not very beautiful.. I was thinking of learning a few Wushu sets, or any sets which involve alot of explosive Northern style action and beauty. Any suggestions? I dont' want to learn this as a combat application, but more as a warmup. Wing Chun may hit right to the point when it gets to fighting, but it is lacking in the aesthetic departments

-Scott

mantis108
08-08-2000, 01:12 AM
Hi Scott,

I will second what Lung Ying said. Technically speaking, Lung Ying (Dragon Style) would be a good choice. A lot of people would disagreed but I am a firm believer of Shaolin Nun Ng Mui inspired both Wing Chun and Lung Ying. There are similar theories, concepts and features between these two systems.

Mantis108

------------------
Contraria Sunt Complementa

meltdawn
08-08-2000, 01:27 AM
Hear, hear!

Search, search, search! And research!

Northern is pretty, and some people can use it very effectively, but after a year of HARD training, I realized I'm not that person. Now I'm studying Lung Ying, and my northern classmates are regretting it.

Unfortunately, I have weighted responsibility to my northern teacher, so I can't just walk away from a system that no longer holds my interest. One must remember this is not a "sport" to be taken lightly.

As to learning fun, flashy stuff, those northern forms are just as hard to learn and retain. I think you'd be better off sticking with your true love, and improving it's efficacy on your own.

Sihing73
08-08-2000, 05:47 AM
Hi Scott,

Actually I think everyone has given pretty good advice so far. Still, if you wish to supplement your Wing Chun then I always was kind of fond of Hsing Yi or Bagau or Tai Chi. Of course it depends on if good instruction is available. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
(Hint-I like Hsing Yi as it is more direct and seems to blend well with Wing Chun).
Still, I think that you need to decide exactly what you want from an art. I say this becuase you mention Wing Chun as being powerful enough for you yet not being very pretty. If you are seeking something other than combat applications then another art may be the better choice. You need to evaluate your needs and wants and choose something which you enjoy doing. The only advice I would really offer is that you should build up a firm foundation in one art before trying to study another. I know how you feel, in some ways. When I was growing up I met a guy who introduced me to Wing Chun. He went back to Hong Kong and there were no Wing Chun Schools around. I decided to join the Army and taking the station of choice option I picked three bases which had Wing Chun Schools near them. I ended up in Tacoma Wasington and began my formal Wing Chun training under a student of Augustine Fong. It took me a couple of years but this was the art I wanted to learn. So, make a choice and stick with it. Remember the study of a martial art is a lfetime experience, or should be /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, and though it may take some time to get started the journey is well worht it. Having said all of this I have nothing but respect for Eagle Claw. If nothing else, it is one of the most humane forms of defense I have seen. Have never had the opportunity to witness Dragon Style but have heard good things about it. Although, I believe the issuance of power is quite different from Wing Chun.

Good Luck.

Peace,

Dave

molum_jr
08-08-2000, 11:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott:
However, I may be able to take a different style of Kung Fu. I very much like the principals behind Wing Chun and find it a very effective fighting system, but I am very interested in Eagle Claw. I have always thought that grappling, joint locks, and hold/throws would be more effective in a fight-Scott[/quote]

It is unlikely that you'll be learning chinna form eagle claw immediately. You'll probably learn northern style sets (lin bo kuen and gung lik kuen for example), stretching, hand strength training before you learn chinna techniques. What you'll come to understand under a good eagle teacher is the difference of northern whipping power vs. southern wing chun stick/bone crunching power. Good luck and keep us informed...