PDA

View Full Version : Push up bars

PHILBERT
12-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Whats your opinion? Like? Dislike? Do they give you the ability to do more?

My mom bought me some for Christmas (I was right there when she bought them) and was wondering what everyone thought of them. And I got a question...

When I do push ups I perfer putting me feet on a chair, bench, something to elevate my body. If I use push up bars and do this, is it dangerou to lower your body to where your head drops below the hands on the bar? Thanks.

babooon87
12-16-2002, 03:01 PM
what is a push up bar exactly?any pictures?

PHILBERT
12-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Sadly no. Its 2 bars though, the closest thing I can find online are these

http://www.martialartsupply.com/push_up_bars.html

However they are not what mine look like. Mine bend less on one side. If you look at mine, they look like this (except its upside down)

\_|

There is an angle on the bar on one side so you can do a different kind of push up with it.

rubthebuddha
12-16-2002, 05:38 PM
benefits:

1. better range of motion, if you go all the way down to the floor
2. might increase grip strength

still, i like the balance of a standard, palm-on-ground pushup. if i want elevation, i'll get me a couple books to raise myself.

Lung Hu Pai
12-16-2002, 05:40 PM
i like them, they let me go deeper and take pressure off my wrists.

Kempo Guy
12-16-2002, 06:09 PM
I like them and use them on almost a daily basis. As mentioned, it helps with a greater range of motion and grip strength. When I do push-ups I also raise my legs so I can get more weight on the chest.

I also use the push-up bars for some of the parallette workouts. You can learn more about parallette gymnastics workouts
here. (http://www.american-gymnast.com/technically_correct/paralletteguide/index.html)

KG

PHILBERT
12-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
I like them and use them on almost a daily basis. As mentioned, it helps with a greater range of motion and grip strength. When I do push-ups I also raise my legs so I can get more weight on the chest.

I also use the push-up bars for some of the parallette workouts. You can learn more about parallette gymnastics workouts
here. (http://www.american-gymnast.com/technically_correct/paralletteguide/index.html)

KG

Thats the other reason why I got the push up bars, I figured I could use them to do some gymnastics in my room.

babooon87
12-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Do you know where your mom bought it.

IronFist
12-17-2002, 09:19 PM
Paralettes own. I made some for about $15 in supplies. I followed the measurements given on that site. I made them out of the thicker PVC pipe. When I went, there were two thicknesses. I assumed the thicker one could support weight better so I got that one. I think I used 1.25" diameter.

I don't use them as often as I should, but I like them.

IronFist

PHILBERT
12-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by babooon87
Do you know where your mom bought it.

Hehe, not to sound rude, but in my original topic I said

My mom bought me some for Christmas (I was right there when she bought them) and...

She bought them at Galyians Sports and Outdoors. They only cost like $15.

babooon87
12-18-2002, 12:25 PM
thank you

PHILBERT
12-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Are you looking for a pair?