PDA

View Full Version : weight training and speed

babooon87
12-16-2002, 02:50 PM
While browsing on this forum, I saw some people saying that weight training makes you lose speed, is it true cuz at my kwoon we are evaluated on the speed.

I would like to start weight training often because I really love it.but I cant see what are the benefits of it for martial arts, please give me the good and bad points of it.

babooon87
12-16-2002, 02:52 PM
oops, should have put that in training section ill repost it there...

firepalm
12-16-2002, 03:01 PM
Russian athletes engage in what I believe they term complete training; essentially superset training between strength based exercises & speed training drills (ie; squats & then immediate wind sprints; bench press & then speed punching on a heavy bag; etc...). There was a book on it a few years ago (had but lost), very sound principles.;)

Nexus
12-16-2002, 05:32 PM
If you want the build of a body builder and the speed of a martial artist, use heavy and light weapons in your training. For instance, use a very heavy staff, and switch off with a light one for speed practice. The weight will increase your muscle tone and you wont gain excess bulk.

SevenStar
12-16-2002, 06:55 PM
In short, no. Unless you are freakishly big, you don't have to worry if you train properly. In fact, it can make you faster, as you will become more explosive.

IronFist
12-16-2002, 09:28 PM
SevenStar is right.

IronFist

Machimurasan
12-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Muscle powers the body. Movement, fast or otherwise is dependent upon muscle. Fast-fatiguable ("fast twitch") muscle fibers give one explosive strength and speed. Slow-fatiguable muscle fibers give you prolonged strength, or muscular endurance. Most folks have an even ratio of both, but world-class and pro athletes tend to have a higher ratio of one or the other. This percentage depends on if endurance or explosive strength and speed are called for.

Flexibility increases the range of motion in muscular activity. Big, muscular guys who are flexible don't lose, but gain speed and range of motion. Weight training boosts your speed, strength and immunity to diseases. Stretch whatever muscle group you are working between sets, instead of sitting down on an empty bench or staring at the chicken-heads, hahaha! Remember, 30 secs. rest between sets. Do your stretching in these 30 secs. and before you begin to lift and after you are completely done.

You'll notice that the fastest cats in the world look like American Football wide receivers or half-backs. They have big delts, chests, lats/backs, traps, well-developed abdominals as well as muscular legs. Did getting this big help them or harm them? Didn't they get this way as a result of training for SPEED? Use your heads folks and pick up some books. Proper use of the eyes is also essential. Modern science and medicine will help you understand these things.

These are well kept Shaolin secrets the masses don't know about. Hehehehe! Enuff with the "muscles" makes you slow BS. Get some proof. Smart people couldn't care less what you "feel".