PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong film stars.

gui_zuozhe.
12-17-2002, 05:06 AM
[COLOR=seagreen][B] Well I was just thinking about something. "Where have all the old HK films stars gone? Who is dead, and who is alive? People like Ti Lung, Anita Mui, Yuen Biao, Jackie Cheung (not chan) Richard Ng, Cynthia Kwan and all those other people who used to entertain us with their Shaw Bros. and Golden Harvest specials. Actually is Lo Wei still alive?
Well I think we need to create 2 petitions here.
1. Every member of this forum should send an email / sign this petition for miramax(b*stard company) to sell back the distribution rights to HERO.

2. Petition the internation film and movie institute to put miramax out of business for racist behaviour in regards to Asian movies.

shaolinwolf.com (http://shaolinwolf.com) some movies here to drool over.:D :o ;) :p :cool: :confused: just trying out the smily faces.

Sho
12-17-2002, 06:41 AM
Last time I saw Anita Mui in My Father is a Hero and Jacky Cheung in High Risk. Hehe, quite old movies.

Originally posted by gui_zuozhe.
Every member of this forum should send an email / sign this petition for miramax(b*stard company) to sell back the distribution rights to HERO.Yea!

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 08:06 AM
i think lo wei is probably dead. but i believe the rest you mentioned are still kicking (so to speak).

what racist behaviours are you referring to with miramax?

stuart b.

red5angel
12-17-2002, 08:36 AM
I believe Yuen Biao is also deceased....

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 08:42 AM
really?! when did that happen?

red5angel
12-17-2002, 08:59 AM
OOOPS! Sorry Ap, I was misinformed! I just remember chatting with someone about Prodigal Son and them mentioning this....

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 09:30 AM
red5, you alarmist b*stard!

:)

red5angel
12-17-2002, 09:35 AM
hehe, sorry to make your heart skip a beat my friend! I had the same response when I found out!

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 09:44 AM
i'm not a huge fan of him personally. but he's a staple of the genre, so he can't die.

oh, and all that crap about being a human with hopes and aspirations, blah, blah, blah.

stuart b.

red5angel
12-17-2002, 10:14 AM
LOL! I think he is a great movie martial artist. I don't know what sort of "real" skill he has but he has always impressed me with his on screen presence.

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 10:18 AM
well, he'll be hitting the big screen in the near future. zu is being released stateside. sammo too. who else? that flick's got more stars in it than you can throw a pointy stick at.

stuart b.

Former castleva
12-17-2002, 12:49 PM
I think ppl should pay more attention to Sammo too,just a sidenote.

firepalm
12-17-2002, 12:59 PM
Lo Wei (the movie producer that started Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan) deceased.
Lo Lieh (Five Fingers of Death - one of the original Chop Socky flics of the seventies that helped start the first Kung Fu craze) deceased a little over a month ago.

All others mentioned in the opening thread are still alive, however as the HK film industry is at something a low you seldom see them anymore. Jacky Chueung & Anita Mui, still have singing careers of course. Cynthia Kwan is doing low budget stuff in China.

Yuen Biao helped behind the scenes on Shanghai Noon & is semi retired.
:cool:

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
I think ppl should pay more attention to Sammo too,just a sidenote.

i hear ya. in some ways, he's even more impressive than jackie and yuen.

stuart b.

Chang Style Novice
12-17-2002, 01:11 PM
I like Sammo as much as anybody, and he's probably my pick for best fight choreographer ever.

Which isn't to say he hasn't made some stinkers. I remember a American flick called "Silent Rage" or something showing on his IMDB page that was about a mute avenging the death of his son. Apparently it was SO bad that not only was it never released, even straight to video but it isn't even listed in imdb anymore.

And who can forget his turn as a japanese heavy in "When Taekwondo Strikes"? The lucky ones, that's who.

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 01:44 PM
he also played a heavy (excuse the pun) in john woo's early kung fu pic "hand of death." and he did so with a big set of prosthetic buck teeth. that's a must see. also look for cameos by jackie chan and john woo himself.

stuart b.

brothernumber9
12-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Ti lung played Sifu Wong Kay Ying in Jackie Chan's Drunken Master II. I wonder if Lau Kar Leung has done anything recently?

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 02:46 PM
good question. i kinda want to see 'pedicab driver' for a good sammo hung/lau kar leung fix.

stuart b.

Chang Style Novice
12-17-2002, 02:52 PM
Although "Pedicab Driver" is an entirely better movie, they have a really cool rematch in "Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon."

David Jamieson
12-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Yu Weng Po (http://www.bobfromaccounting.com/askyu.html) still got it.

:D

peace

asn3
12-18-2002, 08:00 AM
Actually, in case you were interested, the villain in 'Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon' is Lau Kar Wing, Lau Kar Leung's brother.

Chang Style Novice
12-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Oops! Well, I'm glad it's his brother, 'cause I'd hate to think I'm perpetuating the old 'they all look the same' bs©

Anyway, it's a great fight in a basically mediocre buddy-cop comedy©

apoweyn
12-18-2002, 08:11 AM
here's what i've never understood: i'm not a huge cynthia rothrock fan. but i can recognize that she's very talented. why are her hong kong films 'good' and her american films so irredeemably awful? part of it is in the production. but what's curious to me is how completely different her persona is from one to the other. could just be timing, i suppose. [shrug]

Chang Style Novice
12-18-2002, 08:15 AM
I'd say that's what's called 'acting,' but it is Cynthia Rothrock you're talking about©©©;¤

apoweyn
12-18-2002, 09:36 AM
yeah. she's not exactly a buzz around oscar time, is she.

GeneChing
12-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Shaw Brothers has opened its vaults an is rereleasing 760 films over the next few years. We covered it with a short teaser in our last issue. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kf200213.html) Our film expert, Dr. Craig Reid, did all of the english synopsis for the packaging for the new releases, and will be bring you all special coverage of these rereleases, and more, in upcoming issues. Time for true Shaw Brothers fans to subscribe. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/19341.html)

joedoe
12-18-2002, 09:50 PM
Just a side note - Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, and Sammo Hung were all training brothers at the Peking Opera school that Jackie Chan virtually grew up in.

RENEGADE_MONK
12-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
here's what i've never understood: i'm not a huge cynthia rothrock fan. but i can recognize that she's very talented. why are her hong kong films 'good' and her american films so irredeemably awful? part of it is in the production. but what's curious to me is how completely different her persona is from one to the other. could just be timing, i suppose. [shrug]

Ap,

the reason why her HK movies are different from her American releases is that Sammo was her fight choreographer in her most of her HK films

apoweyn
12-20-2002, 09:48 AM
renegade monk,

yeah, the choreography definitely has a lot to do with it. and i'm a big fan of sammo's choreography.

but there's more than that. she comes off as being much more confident or something in HK films. and much more dippy and girl next door in her american films.

[shrug]

but i expect you're right that the choreography is largely to blame (or credit).

stuart b.