PDA

View Full Version : Some advice on Fight night

red5angel
12-17-2002, 09:07 AM
Ok, I am going to an open fight night at a local school on friday with some fighters from my new school. I am not sure what the exact rules are but I know that it resembles an MMA event in layout and rules. They generally have a 1-10 scale they use to roughly judge your ability level. They are saying that because my grappling skills are so weak (or they are just being nice) I am about a 3, higher is better :(
So, anyone here do this sort of thing? Have any advice? It iwll be my first "open format" event, and it isn't an official thing, just something this school does every couple of weeks.

yenhoi
12-17-2002, 10:11 AM
We have a couple places here that have open sparring nights.

The only advice I have is: strike!

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 10:27 AM
stay low. keep moving.

oh, fight night. sorry. thought you said 'date night.' my bad.

stuart b.

FatherDog
12-17-2002, 10:31 AM
Find out exactly what the rules are, what equipment is allowed and required. Spend some time between now and Friday sparring with folks from your school using those rules, with that equipment. Three days is an awfully short time to identify specific problem areas and work on them, but at least you'll get used to the format a little, and be better able to deal with things.

If your grappling skill is weak, spend every minute that you're not sparring over the next few days training the sprawl. Sprawl with partners, sprawl on your own. Drill sprawling against all different takedowns. In the event, strike at him, preferably with the hands (kicks leave you more open to a takedown, particularly if you're not used to kicking a grappler), and be very wary of takedowns. If the fight goes to the ground, concentrate on avoiding submissions and getting into a superior position... and then stand up and back off. If striking is your game, make him play it; don't let him keep you on the ground an instant longer than you have to. If you wind up in his guard... break it and stand up! If you get the mount or the side-body... stand up! And if you wind up in your guard, or under him, try to get to one of those positions... and stand up.

So, to summarize, spend some time sparring with the identical rules and equipment, to get used to them. Spend all the rest of your available time drilling the sprawl, and drilling escapes from the bottom.

And don't be afraid to go in at a low level. You're just starting out, remember; you don't need to feel embarassed that you're only a 3. Just look at it as a chance to learn.

red5angel
12-17-2002, 10:31 AM
ROFL@AP! Who put a quarter in you today? :D

Actually this was what I was thinking. Every good fighter has to have a signature technique right? So, I am think I am going to go with all headbutts, no hands no feet, just some good foot and head work.....

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Who put a quarter in you today? :D

i don't know. but i wish they'd warmed it up first.

Actually this was what I was thinking. Every good fighter has to have a signature technique right? So, I am think I am going to go with all headbutts, no hands no feet, just some good foot and head work.....

right. and a catchy ringname. perhaps something from the world of mexican professional wrestling? "el diablo b*tthead" maybe. (that's spanish for "headbutting devil"... yeah, yeah. i know.) ;)

stuart b.

red5angel
12-17-2002, 11:20 AM
OOOOhhh yeah!!! Or HeadButtero The Mighty!!!!! and I can wear a luche mask that sort of looks like a butt!!!!

Water Dragon
12-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Videotape it so you know what to work on. Oh yeah, have fun and don't take it too seriously :D

red5angel
12-17-2002, 11:36 AM
good idea with the videotape!

apoweyn
12-17-2002, 11:48 AM
especially if you wear the luche costume. :)

FatherDog
12-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
So, I am think I am going to go with all headbutts, no hands no feet, just some good foot and head work.....

Not sure how much you're kidding here, but...

Make sure headbutts are actually legal. They're not, in most amateur competition.

yenhoi
12-17-2002, 12:25 PM
I didnt read your post correctly the first time.

Do what fatherdog says.

Then when you get in the ring, hit the dude. Arent you getting matched vs another 3?

Dont try and 'pull off' anything you havent trained extensively. You shouldent be choosing what to do, just go after the guy. Sometimes in fighting competitions you get little breaks and time to think. Dont use it, attack, attack, attack. And keep your elbows down and in. Move forward. Strike.

red5angel
12-17-2002, 12:36 PM
FD - I think they are illegal but I figure once they start pouring into the ring to get me to stop, as long as I can keep up the headbutts then I should be able to keep them off me! Plus it just looks good on a resume when you can say you fought off 20 some fighters by headbutting all of them! ;)

Yenhoi, that was actually pretty much my actual tactic. I have sparred a few times with these guys and I am finding that my edge is just to get in there and start hitting until either I am beat or they are beat!! I have been told so far I have good energy in the ring, the head instrcutor really likes my energy but he says now I need to learn to focus it more. Actually the conversation went something like this:

"Hey Bradley, good energy but now you need to learn to focus it, make it more precise so it starts taking its toll faster."

I took a deep breath, still trying to catch it and said something to the effect of "You mean like hit him in the head more?"

Qi dup
12-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Lots of good advice all around. Just remember, you win some, you lose some. Every time you go to your fight night try to learn something, not only from your own fights, but also from others. keep your eyes open, and have a good time!

yenhoi
12-17-2002, 09:21 PM
I hate headbutts. :(

Alot of times when you start headbutting, so does the other guy.

:(

monkey man
12-18-2002, 05:58 AM
I didn't realise head butting was part of the Wing Chun system...

:rolleyes:

red5angel
12-18-2002, 07:28 AM
Monkeyman, headbutting is part of any real fighting system ;)

Yenhoi, the key is to practice so that when you do headbutt it only takes one. For instance I like to get used manequin heads and practice on those until they break. Like board breaking sort of... :D

monkey man
12-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
Monkeyman, headbutting is part of any real fighting system ;)

It's not a technique I'd ever use...or at least would never think of using.

Yenhoi, the key is to practice so that when you do headbutt it only takes one. For instance I like to get used manequin heads and practice on those until they break. Like board breaking sort of... :D

Joke? :confused:

red5angel
12-18-2002, 10:24 AM
The whole headbutting thing is generally a joke, I don't even think they allow it where I am going. however, I would have to say it is definitely a tool you can't forget, I can think of a few situations it might come in handy, especially if you can put that hb right down on their nose......

Mutant
12-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Fight your fight, try to stay with your strenghts and draw your opponent into your game if possible. A strong offence can be a good defence.

Be very mobile; if you get caught in a stance like youre playing chi sau you'll be a sitting duck for takedowns, prepare to sprawl, move, etc.

Just have fun with it and keep an open mind, prepare to learn a lot about sport fighting, become completely exhausted, and quite possibly get your ass kicked. Its all a learning experience.

Good luck with it!

Machimurasan
12-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Take a shiznit before the fight. That way they won't be able to beat any outta' ya'! Hope this helps...

yenhoi
12-21-2002, 08:06 AM
how'd it go?
:confused: