PDA

View Full Version : "You Fight Like You Train"

burnsypoo
12-17-2002, 09:42 AM
What relevance, if any, does that statement have in your training?

tparkerkfo
12-17-2002, 10:05 AM
I suppose you can take two different views of the statement. One would suggest you develop a preconcieved ideas of what a fight should be, then you practice for than in your training. You might practice for specific senarios or attributes such as conditioning or high pressure. The other is to simply train in a smart way developing strong basics and your skills will show when you need them.

I perfer the latter for various reasons. To me, the statement "fight like you train" means that you will fall back on engrained training. If your sloppy in training, that will show up. If you get excited and loose your root, that will show up. If your not commited, that will show up. A lot of this idea is for mental preparedness. You need to be able to keep your cool and stick with the basics.

My basis for this is how we trained in the army. We were expected to accomplish many missions under heavy pressure. Much of your tasks are done purely by instinct. We used the statement to help in our training. We would drill our tasks over and over without missing a step. We tried to work the basics so we could do them in our sleep. Then when we were put into a situation were we were under pressure from an "enemy", lack of sleep, freezing cold rain, dead of night, etc.... we could perform a majority of our tasks. Of course nothing is perfect and things fall apart to various degrees. Oh Well.

At least this is my view.
Tom
________
Shemale Cumshot (http://www.****tube.com/categories/955/cumshot/videos/1)

Grendel
12-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by burnsypoo

None. I fight like I fight. I don't fight in training; I practice Wing Chun skills that I would use in a fight, though. Remains to be seen since I haven't been in a fight in which I used Wing Chun.

Is the reverse true. Do we train like we fight? I'd like to think so. :cool:

Regards,

wingchunalex
12-17-2002, 12:55 PM
yes i think the stement is true. if you don't train hard you wont fight hard. everything will be too lax, so you'll get beat.

BeiKongHui
12-17-2002, 01:46 PM
true statement. if you train like a wuss and pull all your punches or only peck each other in the chest you'll probably get beaten down.

[Censored]
12-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Do you train with unpleasant people, whom you've probably never met before? :confused:

Do the people you fight with give you the right kind of pressure, so you can fix your mistakes, rather than hiding them in your speed and power? :confused: Do you help them in the same way?

Do your fights last for hours? Do you pay to enter them? :confused:

;)

gnugear
12-18-2002, 11:34 AM
I think so.

I've seen TKD guys sparring and their training looks like it goes out the window as soon as they put the pads on. I know that I'm always aware of my posture and positioning, so in that sense, I fight (spar) like I train.

EnterTheWhip
12-18-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by burnsypoo
None. Training is for not fighting.