PDA

View Full Version : pics from SF Bay get-together

aelward
12-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Here are some pictures from the Dec. 7 get-together with people from the Sifus Ken Chung, Lo Man Kam, and Ho Kam Min lineages.

http://www.wingchun-sf.com/wc-cross.html

yuanfen
12-17-2002, 04:55 PM
I am confused a bit because the rows are lined up in such a way
that it is not easy in some cases to match names and faces.
Which one are you?. How long did DG study with master Ho?
Thanks for sharing. Joy

asn3
12-17-2002, 09:56 PM
I don't think he'd mind me saying so, so I'll jump in briefly...Deji is part of HKM's lineage through Buddy Wu.

yuanfen
12-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Thanks ASN#3. I guessed as much. Joy

aelward
12-18-2002, 06:53 PM
asn3 said it, DG is a student of Buddy Wu in Ohio; I believe he's been doing it for about 7-8 years, though he has been on a relative hiatus out here. I believe he used to wreak havok in the chi sao contests east of the Mississippi.

I am the guy in the effeminate pose, third from the right, glasses, Golden State Warrior's T-shirt.

asn3
12-18-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by aelward
I believe he used to wreak havok in the chi sao contests east of the Mississippi.

Not to mention wreaking his fair share of havoc in class!

AndrewS
12-18-2002, 11:41 PM
Deji and I have been trading shots and ideas for years. His mind is at least as sharp as his hands. I gotta make it up to SF soon, show him some of my new tricks, and see what he's picked up lately.

Joy, I believe you met him the first time Buddy Wu came out to Augustine Fong's school for a HKM seminar. Sometime in the late 90's.

Andrew

yuanfen
12-19-2002, 08:10 AM
Andrew (S). Thanks for the info. I did meet Buddy Wu and some of his students- extended family. Rolled briefly without attacks with one of the Wu students who looked and felt pretty good.
The HKM structure was there .But the shot of "deji" looks dark and couldnt recognize him in John's pic and he seemed to have his head down a bit,. Thanks again, Joy

aelward
12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
psychoMD writes:
> I gotta make it up to SF soon, show him some of my new tricks,

Hey Andrew, we have set a date for the next get-together: January 11. However, the location has yet to be decided; the weather this time of year is pretty nasty, so we have to find an indoor location; and Sifu Ken Chung's folks don't want to have to come up to Oakland again (not like it's THAT far from SF).

I know at least two students of Sifu Ken want to see what WT looks like-- since the local branches tend to stick to themselves, we don't get a chance to compare notes very often.

> and see what he's picked up lately.

Deji says that he hasn't practiced in a year; his endurance was definitely down, which is probably why he wasn't looking at the camera.

AndrewS
12-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi John,

dunno if I can make the 11th- my work schedule is weird, and I have some family affairs that need to be put in order at first opportunity. If possible, I'll run up there, but it may be more like February/March before I can manage that.

Sorry to hear Deji's not training as regularily as usual. Hopefully it's been for pleasant reasons.

I really want to catch up with some folks for Ken Chung's line. For all the idiotic sniping that has occured, I think our approaches have more in common than not, and both sides could benefit from comparison.

Later,

Andrew

passing_through
12-20-2002, 06:04 PM
John,

Just got caught up on this thread. You've got the right spirit, encouraging people to get together in person to play.

I remember the October 2000 (http://home.vtmuseum.org/community/reviews/oct20-25_2000.php) get together. Glad to read things went well this time too. Looks like you really try to put Ng Wui Sei Hoi Wai Yat Ga into action (Five Lakes - Four Seas, there is one family). Glad to see it. Too bad I missed this one. I might be out your way in March so maybe something could be planned for then, too?

Jeremy R.

aelward
12-21-2002, 09:05 PM
pschoMD writes:
> I really want to catch up with some folks for Ken Chung's line.
> For all the idiotic sniping that has occured,

Well, this seems to have diminished quite a bit since a certain student in Minneapolis gave up on WC... (uh oh, a snipe... :P )

> I think our approaches have more in common than not, and
> both sides could benefit from comparison.

Yeah, I was talking to a student of Allan Fong who was telling me that he saw lots of similarities between Sifu Ken's line and WT stuff-- mostly in stance and footwork; he thought it was the sifu Leung Sheung connection.

By the way, could you send me your e-mail? I'm at: aelward@hotmail.com

aelward
12-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Just sent you an e-mail, but not sure if you are still at that addresss...

> I remember the October 2000 get together.

I remember that, too. Actually, that was the most diverse get-together I've been at since moving to the Bay Area.

> Looks like you really try to put Ng Wui Sei Hoi Wai Yat Ga into
>action (Five Lakes - Four Seas, there is one family).

Cantonese and proverbial Chinese isn't my strong suit. Nor is my diplomacy. There are actually a lot of people (both here in the Bay Area and elsewhere) who are trying to increase and improve cross-lineage contacts, and therefore, promote mutual growth. Wo cai bu shi du yi wu er de~

> I might be out your way in March so maybe something could be
>planned for then, too?

We are trying to make it monthly. Let me know when you'll be here, and we can see if it works out for everyone here. We generally like to get together on Saturdays.

Write me at: aelward@hotmail.com

cha kuen
12-24-2002, 09:18 PM
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting them up!
I hope to make it to california one day!
**wing chun books* (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)