PDA

View Full Version : Comment Thread on CLF History Poll.....

Fu-Pow
12-17-2002, 04:26 PM
As of 12-17-02 it appears that the generally accepted view, (at least on this forum), is that Chan Heung was the founder of CLF (14 to 4 votes).

The purpose of this poll was demonstrate to bean curd that the generally accepted view is that Chan Heung was the founder of Choy Lay Fut.

Now, I don't suppose to know WHY this is the generally accepted view. In fact, it could be the completely wrong view for all we know. Nor do I claim that this poll is in anyway concrete data.

But in this limited sample of kung fu players on this forum it does appear to be the most accepted history.

If we extrapolated this data out to the CLF community as a whole(which is really kind of silly) then it would appear that the Jeong Yim/Chan Heung co-founder theory is a minority viewpoint.

We'll see if the numbers change in the coming weeks as more people put in their input.

extrajoseph
01-02-2003, 08:08 PM
It looks as though the percentage has not change much (02/01/2003) since your last post (12/12/2002), most people still believe Chan Heung is the founder. You want to know why this is the case, I think most people intuitively feel there is a sort of truth in history that things did happened, like one cannot deny that Holocaust did happened no matter how one looks at it.

Frank got me really interested in history with his outbursts. Thanks to him I am reading up on the subject in the holidays. Here is an interesting passage from Richard J Even’s book “In Defence of History”, Granta Publications, 1997, p312.

“But just because we can never obtain the whole or the absolute truth, just because we make mistakes in our search for the truth about the past, just because there will always be something new to say about any historical subject, it does not follow that there is no such thing as the truth.”

Sure, there are a lot of “loop holes” in CLF history on all sides and there will always be more “loop holes”, but we all know one undeniable truth: there is a martial art system passed down by Chan Heung and his family and disciples, We learned it from our teachers and they in turn learned it from their teachers and so forth and we are practicing it everyday.

The clear physical evidence is that it has been passed down unbroken for 5 generations from son to son to son to son. Ours is a living tradition. Frank and beancurd and Dave Lacey and Chan Kam-Fai and others are not going to get away with Chan Heung denial just because there are some “loop holes” in our history.

I think most people like me have this gut feeling even though we don't know how to express it properly.

JosephX