PDA

View Full Version : Karate vs BJJ

Dark Knight
12-18-2002, 11:14 AM
http://www.mcdojo.com/dl_goto.asp?id=64

When you fight someone you should have an idea of what they do, and train to fight against it. this is why you dont see traditionalist win in UFC or NHB events, they dont train for it.

The Shotokan Black Belt didnt prepare to fight someone like this, he put his arm straight out for an easy armbar, had he prepared and cross trained he would have known that would be an easy attack.

TaoBoy
12-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Old news.

Laughing Cow
12-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Been discussed to death on KFO.

I also think that the Guy was a SanSoo fighter and not a Karate-ka.

Just my 0.2 cents worth of thought.

joedoe
12-18-2002, 04:18 PM
The clip shows a karateka. However, Dark Knight is right - the karateka appeared to have no idea of how to counter the grappler (not to say that I would have done any better).

At least he had the balls to step up and try it out.

SifuAbel
12-19-2002, 12:19 AM
If this is the clip I think it is, then not only did he not know how to counter the grappler, he didn't kow much about stand up either. He ran in like a girl and threw a nothing punch.

I don't know if its ball or stupidity that makes these guys "step up".

frankly, these little clips are a waste of bandwidth.

Dark Knight
12-19-2002, 09:42 AM
"I also think that the Guy was a SanSoo fighter and not a Karate-ka"

It states he is a Black belt in Shotokan in the beginning.

"Been discussed to death on KFO."

Im not loking for a BJJ vs ......, I threw it up because it shows what it looks like to fight some one else when you are unprepared. It could have been karate vs Kung Fu and the guy was not prepared ofr a WC attack. Or Kung Fu vs Boxing and not being ready to face someone who knows how to hit hard and take a strike.

The point was to see what being unprepared looks like.

too many people in different styles feel they dont need anything more than what their style teaches, in todfays world you run up against many different types of fighters. The styles I see that do this the most is ninjutsu and TKD. Many TKD students say that they dont neeed to learn how to trap, throw, or improve their hands because the TKD roundhouse is so superior.

My favorite is from Ninjutsu 'We dont spar because what we do is too dangerous and we would kill each other."

Having a closed mind is asking for trouble.

"frankly, these little clips are a waste of bandwidth"

Not really, its an opportunity to see how other fight and counter different styles. Boxers watch videos of other fighters to prepare for a fight, why should we close our eyes to how someone else would attack.

SifuAbel
12-19-2002, 12:38 PM
These clips are a waste of bandwidth because they are singled out and used to represent an entire whole when this is in fact just one splinter in the "board", so to speak. You may not be doing this but others do, and its stupid.

This isn't one of a thousand clips. Its one of a few that are "picked" specifically to show off one style or another. These fights are also carefully chosen. If it were truely random then the outcomes would differ greatly. Just like there was a grappler that took this poor fool to school, there are shotokan guys that would pound this grappler guy into a hamburger patty. This good grappler TM had a mediocre stand up. Which was still better than the "karateka". If anything this clip shows what point fighting does to your MA skills.

You don't have to look far, the UFC is filled with people with karate backgrounds that strike and maneuver
far better than that guy.

Budokan
12-19-2002, 12:48 PM
*YAWN*

I'm gone for two weeks and when I return what do I find but yet another BJJ vs Everything thread.

"Im not loking for a BJJ vs ......, I threw it up because it shows what it looks like to fight some one else when you are unprepared" -- Dark Knight

Then why did you name this thread "Karate vs BJJ"?

Look, I'm not arguing against your thesis that a person should be prepared for a fight. But you're the one who opened this f*cking can of worms by calling the thread "Karate vs BJJ".

:rolleyes:

ewallace
12-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Budo's just mad because it was a shotokan guy.

Budokan
12-19-2002, 12:59 PM
:D LOL! How'd you know?

Former castleva
12-19-2002, 01:26 PM
"These clips are a waste of bandwidth because they are singled out and used to represent an entire whole when this is in fact just one splinter in the "board", so to speak. You may not be doing this but others do, and its stupid.

This isn't one of a thousand clips. Its one of a few that are "picked" specifically to show off one style or another. These fights are also carefully chosen. If it were truely random then the outcomes would differ greatly. Just like there was a grappler that took this poor fool to school, there are shotokan guys that would pound this grappler guy into a hamburger patty. This good grappler TM had a mediocre stand up. Which was still better than the "karateka". If anything this clip shows what point fighting does to your MA skills.

You don't have to look far, the UFC is filled with people with karate backgrounds that strike and maneuver
far better than that guy. "

If I´d care more,I´d refer to some of this stuff that you have wrote because I think it points out some holes in good-for-nothing "style-sport fight (ufc,nhb,wot-ever-it be...) " arguments.

"My favorite is from Ninjutsu 'We dont spar because what we do is too dangerous and we would kill each other.""
Heard that before,but I´d consider this a small generalisation since I´ve heard of schools where you leave bruised.

"Not really, its an opportunity to see how other fight and counter different styles. Boxers watch videos of other fighters to prepare for a fight, why should we close our eyes to how someone else would attack.

too many people in different styles feel they dont need anything more than what their style teaches, in todfays world you run up against many different types of fighters. The styles I see that do this the most is ninjutsu and TKD. Many TKD students say that they dont neeed to learn how to trap, throw, or improve their hands because the TKD roundhouse is so superior. "

Besides "intellectual" emphasis on things happening inside competitive MA organisations...
Well my personal view is that MA´s do not necessarily fight,fighters may fight (as the word promises)
And what any "useful" style like this previously mentioned shotokan (karate as a civilian art etc.) or related does,is prepare for you for true defense besides obvious if less viewed benefits.
Slightly according to respected self-protection fellow Marc McYoung (who may be verbally hard on things he does not feel to be appropriate) notes that what you´ll be likely to face in your daily life is a drunken construction worker (as far as my memory serves,this is what he used.Not that I´m saying you´ll only be facing construction working stylists :D ) No matches.
Point goes trough I think.

How many cents does this make?

Dark Knight
12-19-2002, 02:04 PM
"Then why did you name this thread "Karate vs BJJ"?"

I wasnt thinking, I havent been to this board in a while and I forgot it get hammered with this type of thread. I should have named it something else.

"But you're the one who opened this f*cking can of worms by calling the thread "Karate vs BJJ". "

Your right, my mistake.

I posted it as an example of fighting someone without knowing what you were stepping into.

I hang my head in shame. I titled it wrong not thinking of how it would be percieved.

Martial Joe
12-19-2002, 07:23 PM
This was so...last month man.

Machimurasan
12-21-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
http://www.mcdojo.com/dl_goto.asp?id=64

When you fight someone you should have an idea of what they do, and train to fight against it. this is why you dont see traditionalist win in UFC or NHB events, they dont train for it.

The Shotokan Black Belt didnt prepare to fight someone like this, he put his arm straight out for an easy armbar, had he prepared and cross trained he would have known that would be an easy attack.

What is your definition of karate and which of the hundred ryuha are you aiming this claim at? Maybe you should have titled it "Shotokan vs. BJJ" or "Japanese Karate vs. BJJ". Just a thought.

What is your definition of traditional? How many true "traditional" arts are there left? Wouldn't GJJ be considered a family/cultural tradition or traditional MA?

There is very, very little traditional fighting karate taught anywhere. "Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M, get the money, dollar, dollar bill ya'll !!!" You know this, MANNNN!

Speaking of traditional: (Quote courtesy of Method Man and the Wu Tang Clan)

SifuAbel
12-21-2002, 02:39 AM
Considering that this clip comes from Mcdojoke.com its not surprising what the outcome was.

:rolleyes: