PDA

View Full Version : Southern Style Kicks!

BearBear
12-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Southern Styles are known for their low line powerful kicks. In some styles multiple kicking lin wan gerk etc ..

what are some of the kicks in your system/style, a description of them and how they can be applied. combinations and so on.

as well techniques of using the stance, knee and shin to damage , take down, control or move the attacker. such as some styles may term pok ma and yil ma.

Training drills, exercises and methods etc etc.

Of course some southern styles have high kick too.
Many Southern styles do not kick often and don't kick unless they are sure not to miss ie. the opponent is controlled or been suitably "prepared" with hand hits etc

looking forward to learning more about southern kicks and training methods.

I guess if u really want to broad - stepping and footwork.. but maybe for another thread.

BB
"if you wanna kick him in the head, Break his knee first"

http://tonglongforums.cjb.net
http://pub75.ezboard.com/bsouthernprayingmantiskungfu

BearBear
12-21-2002, 08:47 AM
ok ... since everyone is in silent meditation mode .. or my topic extremely boring :X .. i'll try to start the ball rolling

- all steps are kicks..

- i found that the side kick to inner mid lower leg (shin/calf) effective in a number of cases (i worked security) where it rolled, dislocated their ankle or at least knocked down.. also at certain distance can also use hands for controlling striling as u deliver this kick whuc can also be dun to the aknle or knee etc a stepping tsmaping kick .. anyone else like/used this kick/step ...

- found the "plum blossom poles" useful aid eighther static (holding a posture) or dynamic traning anyone elese use this methods?

cheers

BearBear

http://tonglongforums.cjb.net

Buddha's Hand
12-22-2002, 08:50 AM
In the style I'm learning, which is Southern Shaolin, our main focus is hand techniques (long and short hand), upper body training, and low stances for leg strength training (not to mention stepping techniques, etc.)

However, we also practice all forms of kicks, so we are not at a disadvantage against opponents from any other style and in any possible situation.

In sparring, it all comes down to personal preferences IMO.

fiercest tiger
12-22-2002, 02:29 PM
We are into attacking pressure points on the legs and attacking with hands .....yin and yang! Breaking skills is the basic kicking techniques in ykm system or our 1st area control method. hands and legs same time not just legs! if that helps....:)

FT:)

nospam
12-22-2002, 04:31 PM
"- all steps are kicks.."

Indeed. Although we tie our 'stepping kicks' into the position of one's hips- side kicks aside. Purely an issue of mobility.

I do not prescribe to the school of thought where stances are held for prolonged periods of time. Gung fu is about motion and the interaction of two or more intentional directions :D

Therefore, it is my belief training should be applied dynamically. On the otherhand, conditioning is a requirement and a foundation that must be established and built upon; therefore, there is a time and place for static methods such as holding one's stance.

How do I incorporate both? In a progressive method. The beginner needs to develop the physical aspect starting from the ground up...this involves strength in the legs, flexibility of the trunk and limbs, and coordination of the whole. Static training is a great way to accomplish these. We then must naturally progress to directing our 'root' if you will. As this foundation will only prove to hinder if undirected. As an aside, I also believe this type of rooted hinderence has befallen the use of patterns or kata or forms.

In working on direction, we add movement. The second building block to the third. Here the static pose is set in front of our feet. We merely need to follow the path.

On-and-on we go. Round-and-round are the drills that can both build anew and strengthen the old. A foot race of many paths, which too easily can uproot where we've been for what can supposedly be. It is my opinion too many are lost at this stage- wanting to get to the destination to drink from an apparent golden chalice..the ever elusive Holly Grail.

The Third element.. the motion of another. Here is where what has been will be. Where prior efforts tend to pay off in and at varying degrees dependent on how one arrived.

When the Third element begins to turn to the Fourth...tis but the root of the matter that truly counts :D

nospam.
:cool:

omarthefish
12-22-2002, 08:12 PM
tried to post a couple days ago but was having server problems.

Funny thing. Most of the 'all steps are kicks' and 'use your stance to destroy his' stuff, I'm getting more from the northern styles I practice.

In Hung Gar, I've found I pretty much only have two kicks.

1. rear leg stomp kick -oot angled outward. You see it a lot in Wing Chun too. I don't know the official name. Primarily used as a stop hit to a charging opponent. Targets would be the midsection or front of the thigh for a stop hit. The shin is dangerous for friendly sparring. You could pop the knee. In combination with a front hand grab it can be used to attack the knee from the side. From the outside or inside. Both work. From the inside is a little more dangerous though.

2. Stomping side kick - Mainly as a defence against large kickers. Step ofline and stomp kick their but if they try to throw a chambered side kick at you. On offense, coupled with grabbing their lead arm and pulling them off balance and into the kick. In this case the target would be the ribs. The grab also prevents them from compressing the ribcage to minimize damage.

Oh, yeah . . .
3. Mule kick - Primarily against someone taller. Attack with a 2 or 3 hit punch combo. If you don't connect, collapse back turning around as if you're being overwhelmed from above and then pop out the mule kick as you retreat. It's kind of a sucker punch almost.

Oh my goodness, how could I forget:

4. front snap kick to the inner thigh or groin. Usually as a counterkick. When attacked with a lowline kick, we lift the front leg to block it and usually counter kick on the inside. It's one of the early movements in both Fu Hok and Gong Ji.

Fu-Pow
12-22-2002, 10:08 PM
Kicks I'd most likely use in a fight:

-front snap to groin
-shin kick with instep of foot
-round house kick to side of knee
-side kick to the knee

anything higher than the waist is a bit risky. Although we train high kicks in our forms etc.

Serpent
12-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Train your kicks high and your stances low. Then when you use them for real they'll be that much stronger when you kick lower and stand higher. ;)

yuanfen
12-22-2002, 10:43 PM
Bear Bear speaking:In some styles multiple kicking lin wan gerk etc ..
-------------------------------------------------------------
As a developmental tool its fine- shoudnt use it ina real situation-
too mechanical. Yuanfen
---------------------------------------------------
BB also sez:Many Southern styles do not kick often and don't kick unless they are sure not to miss ie. the opponent is controlled or been suitably "prepared" with hand hits etc
------------------------------------------------
True for good wing chun though wing chun has many kicks.
yuanfen
---------------------------------------------------
nospam sez:I do not prescribe to the school of thought where stances are held for prolonged periods of time. Gung fu is about motion and the interaction of two or more intentional directions
-----------------------------
Depends. Must learn how to stand before walking and running.
yuanfen
-----------------------------------------------------------
omarthe fish sez:1. rear leg stomp kick -oot angled outward. You see it a lot in Wing Chun too.
---------------------------------------------------------
If you have the foundations down right you can use the stomp kick with front leg or rear leg- no difference if you have proper wing chun balance. Wing chun at a beginners level has a single kick- later there are lots of kicks which emerge- gradually in second form, third form, dummy form etc.
yuanfen
But conservatism in use of kicks is wise---kickers are often dangerous- to themselves. Now I duck out-yuanfen