PDA

View Full Version : Dummy drills!

Clint
12-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Can anyone suggest any cool dummy drills? I find myself practising the dummy form, and single techniques alot, but need some ideas for different drills and such. Maybe I should be coming up with these on my own, but still appreciate help. Thanx!:D

Wingman
12-18-2002, 09:13 PM
One of the cool dummy drills I know is "snaking". There are 2 variations: bong-tan & fook-huen snaking.

Bong-Tan:
Your right tan sao is on the dummy's inside left arm; while your left bong sao is on the dummy's outside right arm. Move your right tan sao forward and over the dummy's left arm; and turn it into a bong sao on the dummy's outside left arm. At the same time, your left bong circles beneath the dummy's right arm and turns into a tan sao on the dummy's inside right arm. Continue with the drill. This time your left tan sao becomes a bong sao; and your right bong sao becomes an inside tan sao. Repeat the procedure as described above.

Fook-Huen:
Your right huen sao is on the dummy's inside left arm; while your left fook sao is on the dummy's outside right arm. Circle your right huen sao under the dummy's left arm; and turn it into a fook sao on the dummy's outside left arm. At the same time, your left fook sao circles over the dummy's right arm and turns into a huen sao on the dummy's inside right arm. Continue with the drill. This time your left huen sao becomes a fook sao once again; and your right fook sao becomes a huen sao. Repeat the procedure as described above.

You can combine these 2 drills; alternately switching from bong-tan to fook-huen and vice versa.

Clint
12-18-2002, 11:09 PM
I have never tried that tan and bong drill! Sounds cool, thanks for the reply. :)

Mckind13
12-19-2002, 12:10 AM
The form teaches you to make up drills.

Break sections out, or pick particular sequnces and apply them through the various forms of stepping within the form.

In out

Side to sine

To the side then in then out then back to the side.

Also go for the flow!!!

David

TjD
12-19-2002, 08:42 AM
i like to practice chain kicking. just keep kicking the dummy without letting your leg touch the ground, whatever wing chun kicks you know, in whatever order. helps work your stability and single legged root - not to mention your kicks. i throw in a little footwork occasionally to kick from different angles. but basically just keep kicking it :D

IronFist
12-19-2002, 03:44 PM
What's the practical application of simultaneous tan/bong? I see pictures of people doing it on a dummy a lot but I can't see a use for it unless an opponent comes at you with both arms outstretched.

IronFist

Wingman
12-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
What's the practical application of simultaneous tan/bong? I see pictures of people doing it on a dummy a lot but I can't see a use for it unless an opponent comes at you with both arms outstretched.

IronFist
When you deflect a strike with a bong sao, your other hand is in the wu sao (some people use tan sao) position just in case the strike goes thru. If it does, your wu sao will become a tan sao to deal with the strike which went thru your bong sao. The bong/wu/tan may not be really simultaneous but it is performed as one movement.

Mckind13
12-21-2002, 02:15 AM
While I agree that the Wu/Tan could be used as a backup
I do not think that if the punch comes through it has to become a Tan Sau. Rather I think we should explore Wu Sau as the effective tool that it is.

David

EnterTheWhip
12-21-2002, 05:38 AM
Why not ask your sifu?

azwingchun
12-21-2002, 09:48 AM
We do a couple of drills for the hands and fist traing for short range power. Though not the most exciting drill, it trains the limbs very well for the short range power usage. We put the fist (or palms) on the dummy right above the top arms and while keeping in yee chi kim yeung ma, we deliever strikes to the dummy. This is done without pulling back the hand, keeping it in contatct the whole time. We use quick burst of power to move the dummy. We also do the same thing with the legs. Though we put the leg in between the top and middle arms and the leg is in tan gerk, and again without pulling the leg back from the dummy we deliver quick burst or thrust with the leg. This can be trained also by only loosing a few inches of contact, but normally we train with out loosing the stick. This also trains the stance, it helps you not to lose balance (keep your root) or structure while striking. By the way, we also do the kicking one above the top arms, great for stretching the muscles. ;)

S.Teebas
12-21-2002, 10:37 PM
I find myself practising the dummy form, and single techniques alot, but need some ideas for different drills and such.

The movements are easy to learn, but the concepts that the dummy form teaches you should keep you occuped for quite a while. You could probably practice the first three sections of the form over and over agian and try to perfect those movements. Once you do that it will be alot easier to complete the form correctly.

Phil Redmond
12-22-2002, 12:16 AM
Try,

http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/woodchi.asp#

There will be a lot more after the holidays.

Clint
12-22-2002, 01:57 PM
The movements are easy to learn, but the concepts that the dummy form teaches you
should keep you occuped for quite a while. You could probably practice the first three
sections of the form over and over agian and try to perfect those movements. Once you
do that it will be alot easier to complete the form correctly.

That is very true! My sifu also told me to drill the individual sections, because they will take quite a while to perfect! There are definitely endless combinations of techniques to apply on the dummy in endless orders. To understand the principle behind each technique is defiitely the key.

Thanks for everyones input!:)

TjD
12-22-2002, 04:23 PM
sometimes the techniques have multiple principles :D

Clint
12-22-2002, 06:57 PM
True Dat!:D

yuanfen
12-22-2002, 07:20 PM
Tjd and Clint True but sometimes...actually most of the time...principles give rise to many techniques.

IMO- Ironfist really needs a sifu. He is missing out ona lot of things.
Tan and bong together are the building blocks for one kind of kwan sao- rolling hand.... a very important movement- that is why it is repeated on the dummy. You can hit and block at the same time, get out of different traps...lots of other goodies.
Joy

Wingman
12-22-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Mckind13
While I agree that the Wu/Tan could be used as a backup
I do not think that if the punch comes through it has to become a Tan Sau. Rather I think we should explore Wu Sau as the effective tool that it is.

David

I agree. The wu/tan becoming a tan sao if the punch goes thru is just one possibility. The wu sao can deal with the punch if it goes thru. It can also be converted into a chum sao, lop sao(grab), etc. depending on the situation. There are lots of possibilities with the wu sao. That's why in my previous post, I prefer to use bong/wu/tan rather than bong/tan. If you use bong/tan and the punch goes thru, you will logically use tan sao. But if you use bong/wu and the punch thru, the wu sao can be transformed into any technique depending on the situation.