PDA

View Full Version : leung ting's southern drunken monkey

RAIN
12-19-2002, 02:25 PM
anyone have some info about this book or this southern kung fu system ?

Fu-Pow
12-19-2002, 02:43 PM
Southern monkey=Tai Shing Pek Wa= aka Monkey-Axe Fist

If so I'd check out Chan Sau Chung's website.

One question though. Isnt' Leung Ting a Wing Chun Sifu? If so why is he teaching drunken monkey?

lungyuil
12-19-2002, 02:54 PM
drunken monkey is not a system on its own. It is one of 4 or 5 different monkey forms that come from Tai Shing Pek wa. I have seen the book you mention. I can't remember who the teacher is in the book though.

CLFNole
12-19-2002, 08:34 PM
If it is Southern Drunken Monkey as posted above it wouldn't be Chan Sau Chung's style. Tai Sing Pek Kwar Moon is a northern style not a southern style.

Leung Ting has published a variety of stuff not wing chun related so who knows were it comes from.

Peace.

RAIN
12-19-2002, 08:49 PM
i know that tai shing pek kwar system , but clfnole is right : is a northern system . because of that i want to know some about this southern system .
in the other hand , ngo cho kun , from fukien have techniques from the great sage kung fu ( monkey system ) one of the fukien 5 ancestors ( ng cho kun ).

CLFNole
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Ng Cho Kuen is a short hand style though. Tai Sing Pek Kwar is a long hand style. Both are very different.

I don't think there is a sytem of "Southern Monkey" or Southern Drunken Monkey. Probably just another ploy to make money off of stupid "gwai lo".

fiercest tiger
12-19-2002, 09:27 PM
Pak Mei grandmaster cheung lai chun supposively broke a famous monkey stylist masters leg when he came from the north and went south....he broke his leg and said go back to north or next time you will die!!.....:D

then had monkey brain soup.

FT:)

joedoe
12-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by CLFNole
Ng Cho Kuen is a short hand style though. Tai Sing Pek Kwar is a long hand style. Both are very different.

I don't think there is a sytem of "Southern Monkey" or Southern Drunken Monkey. Probably just another ploy to make money off of stupid "gwai lo".

There are elements of monkey in Ngo Cho. I have learned one of the monkey forms. While Ngo Cho is a Southern short hand style, it also contains elements of northern kung fu styles.

Shaolin Master
12-19-2002, 11:32 PM
As Joe Doe (& Rain) stated Monkey forms exist in Wuzuquan.

There is a southern monkey style from Fujian. There are various branches. The one we practice is known as San Pan Hou Quan.

Southern Fujian Taizuquan also has its monkey fist components.

Lastly, nothing makes Da Xing PiGua any different from other monkey styles of which there are many except that Da Xing Pi Gua mixed the art up with a conglomerate of others.

There is also prevalent monkey styles in Emei group of styles.

Regarding the one in Leung Ting's text I have no idea as I have not seen the book. But often enough Leung Ting takes excerpts or hybrids of an original system to print rather than the actual style.

Cheers,

Sho
12-20-2002, 01:35 AM
I have the book.

It tells the story of the Monkey King (Son Goku) briefly and introduces the reader to the Drunken Monkey form. The rest of the book is just a step-by-step illustration of the form with its applications.