PDA

View Full Version : Norther VS Sourthern Mantis

rogue
12-19-2002, 08:45 PM
What's the deal? Did Southern mantis come from Northern? If so why does it look very different?:confused:

TaoBoy
12-19-2002, 08:56 PM
It is my understanding that they developed entirely independently. Hence, the vast differences.

Can anyone prove/disprove this?

PHILBERT
12-19-2002, 10:06 PM
History of Southern Mantis (http://www.shaolin.com/page.asp?content_id=978)

History of Northern Mantis (http://www.shaolin.com/page.asp?content_id=975)

Perhaps the answer is there

fiercest tiger
12-19-2002, 10:28 PM
SOUTHERN MANTIS ANYDAY OVER NORTHERN MANTIS!!!

HERE WE GO!
:)

Stacey
12-19-2002, 11:59 PM
5 people on earth do southern mantis.

fiercest tiger
12-20-2002, 02:39 AM
5 GOOD COMPARED TO 20,000 CRAPPY .......LOL

Diamond Talons
12-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Southern Praying Mantis not really good name for hand & more recent way of calling it & Hakka Tong Long is older & more right way of saying this thing. Some say because of temple it is called South & this can't be right as there was more than one temple that had Tong Long as major temple hand & Hakka have been wandering peoples so to say South or North or any direction doesn't make sense to me in this thing. Just modern name & not too important I think.

rogue
12-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Which one based on these criterea would be the more effective of the two; Ease of learning, street readiness and health benefits.

Diamond Talons
12-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Just me but no real honest answer R & it depends on so many things I don't see how anyone can say except for their own experience & this is always a personal thing not a thing that applies to others I think. I say do what you like doing best & everything else will take care of itself & no hand has the answers for everyone & if there was such a hand then we would likely all be doing the same thing. Just opinion & not fact.

Xebsball
12-21-2002, 11:25 AM
stop trolling with your "VS" threads :D

http://www.touristofdeath.com/cgi-bin/ratedomokun.pl?gotoimg=48

PHILBERT
12-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Diamond Talons, ever heard of a period? You don't have to keep tossing in the & over and over, makes it hard to read. Plus by the time I saw the second one and no period I just forgot what I was reading since it was irritating my eyes.

Originally posted by rogue
Which one based on these criterea would be the more effective of the two; Ease of learning, street readiness and health benefits.

That really is one of those "It depends on the teacher and the student..." thing. I'm sure there are karate schools out there that have a much better street readiness than say a Hung Gar school. It just depends on the teacher. Say my school of WT, my teacher (and thanks to some of my classmates for the help) has a much faster street effectiveness put into class than most of the other schools I've visited in my area.

Though if I had the choice between Northern or Southern, I'd probably do Southern over Northern because there is something about it I like.

cha kuen
12-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Don't underestimate southenr mantis. They are very good at what they do. I would even say that more people know what they are doing in southern mantis than northern. Southern does not look pretty at all so the peopel that choose to learn that style must want it bad..

Just some thoughts.

**kung fu books** (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Diamond Talons
12-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Philbert I'm sorry but I don't have much school time & am a stupid man & my daughter is trying to help me but I think even with dictionary & looking up words I don't seem to get much better at this thing. Maybe you just not read my posts & put me on ignore list okay?

rogue
12-21-2002, 07:19 PM
So from the perspective of a karateka southern would be the easier to pick up. I've yet to see any southern so can anybody point me to any links or video for a look see?

PHILBERT
12-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Diamond Talons
Philbert I'm sorry but I don't have much school time & am a stupid man & my daughter is trying to help me but I think even with dictionary & looking up words I don't seem to get much better at this thing. Maybe you just not read my posts & put me on ignore list okay?

I never put anyone's name on the ignore list, even some people have something smart to say.

Originally posted by rogue
So from the perspective of a karateka southern would be the easier to pick up. I've yet to see any southern so can anybody point me to any links or video for a look see?

http://www.carbonecho.com
Has some Southern Mantis clips in it (only ones I've yet to find online so far). Right now the site is down though. Just click Videos at the top and it'll display all the styles it has videos of (TKD, Judo, Kendo, Kung Fu, Aikido, etc...).

http://pub75.ezboard.com/bsouthernprayingmantiskungfu
Saw this posted the other day, haven't really looked around.

One thing you will notice though is SPM doesn't use the traditional closed fist. They use the Pheonix Eye though.

jon
12-22-2002, 01:26 AM
Diamond Talons

Most good things in my experience only come with a little labour, your posts are no different. They may require a little extra to understand but the end result is always worth the energy.
I would not concern yourself to much with spelling and punctuation. What you have to say is usualy of good worth regardless of your expression.
Let your daughter enjoy herself and dont concern yourself with grammar.

"no hand has the answers for everyone & if there was such a hand then we would likely all be doing the same thing. Just opinion & not fact."
* May not contain full stops and capital letters but heck there is gold there if your willing to dig for it.

Diamond Talons
12-22-2002, 05:08 AM
R I don't think Hakka Tong Long easier or harder for kara te man to learn as you say & not the same way of moving with more different than same & tan ging shows a big difference that most eyes can see even if they don't know this thing. No chambering & hands come out with power wherever they are & best guys I've crossed hands with all strike pretty much from touch with yin bridge or no bridge going into strike point. Saw some children playing with fire plug in the street years ago & watched as one would stand in front of water stream & others stand behind & still get wet from water spray. I say to myself that's like HTL strike as bridge from foe might touch my bridge but he still gets hit no matter. Philbert I don't have smart things to say & anything I know I know from doing & always my Sifu answer questions the same way by telling me to do what I'm asking & then doing the answer to me so I learn to ask questions by doing & get the answer the same way. Jon I keep trying & sometimes best efforts don't give a person what they want & when this happens to me I say okay this thing is not for me & do something else. Not much gold in anything I say Jon just maybe a bit of jade for good luck.