PDA

View Full Version : Single-weighted is better than double-weighted

MaFuYee
12-20-2002, 11:49 PM
i know this is a rehash of an old topic, but, i remeber there were 2 schools of thought. - one that said single weighted just meant that the weight was on one foot, and the other that said that there was more to it than that, and that single weightedness didn't have to do with how your weight was distributed... (does my memory serve me correctly?)

well, going through some old tai chi mags, i came across an article, called, "like the body of a dragon", in 'tai chi' vol. 25 no. 5 page 19.

regarding a seminar given by feng zhiqiang.

in the article it says,

"single-weighted" means the weight is on one foot, or is shifted more to one foot; "double-weighted" means the weight is evenly distribulted on both feet. Double-weighted is static; single-weighted is dynamic.

seems pretty clear to me.

count
12-21-2002, 07:33 AM
Double weighted is when your weight can be used against you. Sort of like your weight times two. This has to do with distribution too. Either way, this has to do with balance and not how full or empty your legs are. You can definitely be double weighted with all of your weight on one leg!

How can dividing your weight by two double it?

Waidan
12-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I understand "double weighted" to be almost synonymous with "off-balance". Once you move your center of gravity out of alignment with your base (typically your feet), you become double weighted in one direction or another as your body works to keep you standing. JMHO :)

illusionfist
12-21-2002, 01:15 PM
What i was taught as double weighted is along the same lines as what Waidan described. Double-weighted is not being able to get out of your stance effectively when your body counter balances, or over corrects itself to gain position. Once you have lost your connection the ground (not necessarily meaning leaving the ground) and you cannot properly fa jing using whole body power, this is being double-weighted.

Even distribution of weight is unavoidable. If even distribution meant double weighted, we couldn't get through the opening sequence, single whip, etc.

Peace :D

jon
12-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Just my take, certainly not gospell.
When you move in any direction your naturaly moving your weight, when you *and* your opponent both try to move each others weight into the same area you become 'double weighted'. You can actualy feel it as your both using your force to try and occupy the same space. This is why i believe it mentions 'stagnation' within the same sentence as double weighted in the classics. When you achive the 'fault of double weighting' you are basicaly trying to outmuscle your opponent and you have reached a place where it is impossible to use explosive power (or fa-ging) as your body is under to much strain to relax enough to proparly issue.
The best example i could give of double weighting is an armwrestle.
I dont buy into this 'you cant drop weight on both legs' stuff, your weight should be contantly shifting IMO it should never be 100% in any place, let alone all on one leg.

I guess it depends a little on your performance but when i do the very opening of Tai Chi my weight is on both legs compleatly. I can hardly imagine doing this posture with my entire weight on one leg.
Come to think of it how on earth do people use a bow stance with 100% weight on one leg? If you think your capable then hold a low one and try and take one leg off the floor.

Anyway just my take from my understandings, relates to application more than form though really. Then again so does the actual classic in question.

CD Lee
12-22-2002, 05:19 AM
If you strike (yang) with your right hand, while your weight is planted on your right leg (yang), are you not double weighted? I have heard that this is what some old time 'masters' meant as double weighted, which if you experiment with this, you see that there is no structural power to being yang on the legs and arms on the same side at the same time.

Weight on left leg, stiking with right...yin/yang = power. Am I way off base here?

taijiquan_student
12-22-2002, 10:13 AM
"Am I way off base here?"

Not at all. I've been taught this as part of being double-weighted as well.

One thing to add is that weight isn't always synonymous with root. You can be standing with the majority of your weight on one leg, but have your intent make your root in the other leg. One example of this in taiji is single whip. In the form you are in a bow-stance with your left leg forward, and your left arm up ready to strike. When you strike, it is not double-weighted because the power comes from the back leg, even though in bow-stances your root is generally in the front leg. This way you're generating power from you're right leg and having the power come out your left palm.

Fu-Pow
12-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Improper use of force?

[Censored]
12-23-2002, 05:11 PM
Simultaneously making two conflicting movements: fighting yourself.

Laughing Cow
12-23-2002, 05:27 PM
Here are some different viewpoints on it:

Xiang Kairen (http://www.nardis.com/~twchan/ph.html)

Paul Zabwodski (http://www.erowid.org/spirit/martial/martial_essay1.shtml)

Have fun.