PDA

View Full Version : chum kil question

danny james1
12-21-2002, 09:15 AM
In the first section of chum kil after the double bil jee you turn to the left with double lan sau,now i always thought the right arm was on top in doing the left side part of the first section and the left on top when doing the right hand side of the first section.
After watching diffferent masters performing the form on videos and studying the form in books i have noticed some have the left arm on top and some the riight.
i have kept meaning to ask my sifu the reason for this.
is it just a case of different schools different ways or is there a correct way?
which way did ip man use?
thanks for any help,its just one of those things thats been niggling away at me.:confused:

azwingchun
12-21-2002, 09:28 AM
When we do Chum Kui we use the left on top when turning to the left and the right when turning to the right . I believe it is just a matter of school differences, and that is all. I am sure they have their reasons though.
;)

Atleastimnotyou
12-21-2002, 10:06 AM
It really doesn't matter which is on top and when.

TjD
12-21-2002, 02:13 PM
another question is, are the two lan saus touching each other? :)

in our chum kiu they arent

danny james1
12-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your replies, i've never seen chum kil with the lan saus touching each other, the arm on top is always shoulder height with the other arm slightly below.
I dont suppose it does matter which arm is on top but i shall ask my sifu for his opinion even if it is a petty question as little details like this bother me.

TjD
12-21-2002, 04:37 PM
well at least in our chum kiu, you do two turns with each; swapping would work both positions equally. better to be equal with both arms than lopsided in wing chun :D

Gandolf269
12-21-2002, 09:08 PM
When we turn to the left - left hand on top. Wen we turn to the right - right hand on top. Arms never touching but close enough to feel the hair on you your arms. The top arm is slightly lower than the shoulders, the key is to relax the shoulders.

Happy training,
David

OdderMensch
12-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Arms never touching but close enough to feel the hair on you your arms.

this seems a bit closer than we hold our arms, this two millimeter difference shows clearly that you know no kung fu ;)

I've never seen one, but ive been told some people even switch arms as they turn, so that the forward moveing elbow is always on top.

Gandolf269
12-22-2002, 12:43 AM
OdderMensch,
I never claimed to know kung fu, only that I'm learning.

Rolling_Hand
12-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Gandolf wrote:

OdderMensch,
I never claimed to know kung fu, only that I'm learning.

------------------------------------------------------

Ganddolf,

hahaha..... good kung fu!

IMHO, You knew more about kung fu than many folks here.

For a long time it had seemed to me that kung fu was about to begin - real kung fu.