PDA

View Full Version : Any Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut family members around?

Buk Sing CLF
08-14-2000, 09:34 AM
Hello to everyone,
I thought it would be good to chat about BSCLF as I haven't seen much of it in this newsgroup.
I have been practicing BSCLF for 3 years now. I'm in Perth, Western Australia.
If anyone would like to discuss any aspect of this amazing art I welcome you.

It would be interesting to find out differences to training styles in other gwoons.

nospam
08-14-2000, 05:47 PM
Yup.

Check out my profile and head to my link for the website. Gives ya a good indication of what we do in Buck Sing...Canadian style /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Buk Sing CLF
08-15-2000, 07:09 AM
Hi, nice to hear from you.

I like your web site. My Sifu would like to create one similar to that soon.

I had heard of a school in Canada that followed Tarm Sarm directly. Is yours the only one?
I am going to be travelling to Canada in a couple of years so I hope I get the opportunity to drop in.

Our school (gwoon) was founded in 1966 by Vince and Dave Lacey, you have a link to their site in Fremnont, Calif.

After they left Perth, my Sifu started up the new school with another long term student of the Lacey's and (I think) Dave Lacey's son Jason. I can never remember which one is his father.

We follow the Buk Sing style from Gong On. He originally trained under the founder of the Chow Gar system and was spotted by Tarm Sarm in a tournament. Tarm Sarm decided that Gong On would make a fine disciple and thus made him one by using his typical style, by challenging him.

Anyway, Gong on was one of the students to train with Ku Yu Cheung and so he mastered the iron palm and northern shaolin techniques as well.

Our training is fundamentally Tarm Sarm Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut. However we have knowledge in Chow Gar and Northern Shaolin available to take advantage of. The Northern Shaolin is suitable for light, flexible and fast people. Chow Gar is for strong, heavy, not so flexible but powerful people. My frame is suited to the Choy Lay Fut side of things. I am 6'5" and 95kgs (sorry, don't know in pounds) so I have long reach, reasonably flexible, powerful and fast.

Put together it suits most people. But we do emphasise the differences in the styles. We don't mix them together, except in sparring of course.

Kong Hing is Gong On's son. He is my Sifu's Si Tai Gung (Spelling?) he taught the Lacey brothers.

Well, I have certaily spilt my guts here haven't I. I wish we had a web site like yours to explain all this.

One last thing. I heard a rumour that Tarm Sarm was Wong Fei Hong. I don't believe this but have you heard anything?

Till next time
"Salute to you"

bean curd
08-15-2000, 12:12 PM
buk sing,

have to ask, what is the rumour that wong fei hung and tam sam are one in the same.

can you elaborate on. of coarse the rumour is not true, they are both totally different men, but never the less, would be interested in the story.

they both where in the second group of ten tigers of kwantung. both new each other, and it is known that wong fei hung as well as lam tsai wing learnt choi li fut, and that tam sam learnt hung gar, so there paths did cross, but definatly two different people.

regards

nospam
08-15-2000, 06:12 PM
Yes, we follow Tam Sam, directly. There is not much Bak Sil Lum mixed into our teachings, and we do not incorporate any other teachings. Bak Sil Lum was taught as more of something interesting to know. Of course, things have been changed and altered with each generation, hopefully for the best- I think so. Don't know if we might be the lineage you are referring to.

My Sifu has a classmate that was also recognized as a master. He too operates a kwoon in Western Canada. I have heard of at least 2 others (of a different lineage) on Eastern Canada. I would enjoy talking about Bak Hsing and the differences of the various lineages.

Hello bean curd.

[This message has been edited by nospam (edited 08-16-2000).]

bean curd
08-16-2000, 12:34 PM
nospam

how are you my friend, its good to hear from you

regards

Steeeve
08-16-2000, 06:33 PM
Hi I'm not a BakSing CLF practionner but They have a Baksing CLF school in Ottawa,Canada.

nospam
08-16-2000, 08:49 PM
Doing well, bean curd.

Summer's been a sort of distraction, especially when there's thongs...

How about yourself?

FIRE HAWK
08-16-2000, 09:45 PM
Has anybody ever seen a picture of WONG FEI HUNG i have seen a picture of TARM SARM or TAM SAM but i have never seen a picture of WONG FEI HUNG.Why are there no pictures of a man that was so famouse as he is they made so many movies about him but no pictures . FIRE HAWK

bean curd
08-18-2000, 01:45 PM
nospam

those thongs can be dangerous, will tell you later in the year, when summer comes my way, and we can compare notes.lol

firehawk

this is a good question. it is said that wong fei hung was a very private person, and didn't like his photo being taken

when wong fei hungs eldest son, wong yi sam was murdered by triads, wong fei hung went into further seclusion, to make matters worse, in the same year 1924, his house was burnt down, he lost everything that he had, this included any photo's that they had of him.

it would not be doubtfull, that there maybe some photo's of him, but if they are in a family or kwoon album, it would very unlikly that they would be shown, as in this indence, these photo's would be regarded as a treasure and kept within the family.

hope this has helped
regards

phantom
05-30-2001, 04:07 PM
I would like to know what forms make up this style. Also, do you know if any place sells some good books or videos on this style? Thanks in advance.

alecM
05-30-2001, 09:04 PM
Although I am a Hung Sing practitioner, I believe these forms are some of the core forms of Bak Sing CLF: Sub Ji Kuen, Ping Kuen and Kow Da and one staff form Seung Garp Darn Gwan (double end staff). He was also famous for his "Seung Chui Jong" (double fist wooden dummy). He also created his own form which he named "Ba Gua Jeung"(eight trigram palm). for more info have a look at this website Choy Lay Fut Buck Sing Gwoon http://members.ozemail.com.au/~meanstreets/clf/index.htm

Saying is not boasting at all. These views and words are mine, and do not represent my Sifu or school.

Ben Gash
05-30-2001, 11:17 PM
I know the Bak Sing Gim (double edged sword) form, but as I don't know any Hung Sing Gim forms, I can't really give a comparison. The Sifu who taught me it (who mainly does Hung Sing these days) said that the main difference between Hung Sing and Bak Sing is that Bak Sing has more of an emphasis on forward energy and advancing.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

Wah
05-31-2001, 05:03 AM
Can you guys tell me who ur hung sing goon instructors? and who they trained with before...

If the river is red, take the muddy path - meeh :eek: