PDA

View Full Version : Who's got experience with the 20 rep squat program?

IronFist
12-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Post your experiences. I tried starting it last Tuesday but I get ****ing headaches around rep 12 that get worse and worse until I finish. It's right where my neck meets the back of my head. It's ****ing me off because I can't do it anymore so I need to find something else to do.

Anyway, what am I going to miss? How did it work for you?

IronFist

Kumkuat
12-21-2002, 11:36 PM
I tried a few times. It is pretty challenging. You just wanna lie down afterwards. Your form starts breaking, and you start breathing hard, etc., Dunno about the headaches. Instead of starting with 10 rep max, try your 15 rep max and work your way to the 10 rep max. ISee if that helps a bit on your headaches. Maybe your blood pressure is high. I didn't do the 20 rep squats that much since they were too painful. But many people swear by its ability to help you gain mass though.

Ford Prefect
12-23-2002, 07:08 AM
Hey IF,

I've always had my best experience working with an 8-week cycle with breathers. Basically start with your 5RM - 75 lbs. Workout twice per week and add 5 lbs per workout. At the end of the 8 weeks, you'll be doing your old 5RM for 20 reps easy.

IronFist
12-23-2002, 02:31 PM
I don't like the breathing at all. Three deep breaths between reps sucks! I don't know if that's what's responsible for my headaches or what. I think I'm giving up on the 20 rep squat program but I don't know what I'm going to replace it with.

IronFist

TjD
12-23-2002, 05:39 PM
whats the point of htis 20 rep program, and how does it work?

is it just doing 20 reps or is there something else behind it?

IronFist
12-23-2002, 11:14 PM
It's supposed to, when coupled with drinking 1/2 to 1 gallon of milk per day, be an awesome mass builder. The program is centered around one set of 20 squats, a couple sets of bench and pullups or bent over rows. You start with your 10RM for squats but do 20 reps. Take as long as you need between reps, and you're supposed to take 3 deep breaths at least between each rep, sometimes more as you get to the end of the set.

That's pretty much it. I've heard it doesn't build much strength as far as 1RM's are concerned, however.

IronFist

yenhoi
12-23-2002, 11:40 PM
Wont you gain mass like crazy if you drink a gallon of milk a day and workout regularly? :confused:

abobo
01-20-2003, 10:16 AM
I did it for five weeks in the fall. I put on just about a pound per week, but I don't think I was eating and sleeping as much as I could have been. Never had a problem with the headaches, though my legs would get a distinct case of the jimmy-shakes and my heart would beat so hard I could hear it. I then supersetted with pullovers, though I read that their value as a breathing exercise / rib box expansion is probably a myth.

I was going up 5 lbs per week starting from my 12RM. I plan on trying it again sometime. It was a pretty good experience, and I think I can make it work better.

IronFist
01-20-2003, 05:50 PM
I quit the 20 rep squat program after 2 or 3 workouts because of the headaches. I replaced it with 10 sets of 5 reps with 1:00 between sets. It seems effective, and causes me no head pain.

IronFist

cutter
01-20-2003, 10:59 PM
the program is the best thing i've ever seen for getting big & strong in a hurry. i've used it many times, reccomended it to several people who got good results too. the best results ive seen were squatting no more than 2x per week. i used it on mondy, friday, then the following wednesday.

the headaches are probably from not getting enough breath. it's tough but it works. if the 10x5 is working, it sounds good too.
make sure you get enough rest.