PDA

View Full Version : Do you block?

[Censored]
12-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Does your Wing Chun contain "blocks"? If you answer, provide your definition of the word.

For my part, "block" =

- A movement
- Not a direct attack
- Not a direct setup for a direct attack (i.e. the next movement is a direct attack)
- ?

And my answer is No.

yuanfen
12-23-2002, 03:08 PM
If "blocking" means " control" an attack- yes.

In actuality there could just the attack itself serving many purposes...but learning controlling- defensive skills provide important developmental foundations....for attacking when needed. Why do you ask?

[Censored]
12-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Why do I ask? Because I don't care if Is Wing Tsun Leung Ting is the best branch of wing chun. ;)

yuanfen
12-23-2002, 04:24 PM
I not only dont care- I dont think it is.

Back to the blocking- its partly a definitional thing- what is meant by a block. We dont only block...along the lines of the kuen kuit-that the kwan makes no more than one sound... but only attacking and only learning attacking is dangerously close to trading blows. If you can shut someone down- you can do anything you wish.

joy

bglenn
12-23-2002, 04:27 PM
I try my best to follow the kuen kuit "dar sao jic siu sao'' which means the hand that hits, also blocks. I try to do no more than is necessary. Any thing that comes from outside my boundaries (meaning outside my centerline) I try to do simple things that are simutaneous like tan da.I do not beleive Ving Tsun has blocks.Ving Tsun is agressive it attacks and defends in one simple motion.To first block then attack is against its nature.

nvisblfist
12-23-2002, 06:05 PM
Four basic defensive postures of wing chun: wu sao, tan sao, bong sao, and pak sao. None of these imply what most arts consider a block. A block implies energy absorption and or prolonged contact, which tends to make it the only technique one can use at that time. There are other defensive hand techniques, but the real essence of wing chun stays away from the blocking mentality. Blocking implies being under your opponent's control, and being reactionary instead of setting up your opponent.

anerlich
12-23-2002, 06:34 PM
To admit that one "blocks" is to risk the wrath of the Wing Chun Political Correctness police. And those are B-A-A-A-D MF'ers.

Then again if the choice is to block or get nailed, I'm going to do the former and live on the run from the WCPC cops.

Ny definition of blocking, stopping a blow in its tracks using for ce against force. It may also damage the limb or whatever of the opponent that is being blocked. Is that then a block or a strike? Or a limb destruction? Where's a WC PC cop when you need one?

Dragontounge
12-23-2002, 09:32 PM
To block a punch doesn't mean you have to stop it dead, 90% of blocked punches are simply disrupted and the energy is dispersed. At this point is where you can help the hook sail past you even further by a shove from the outside or after slipping a jab bring it past you by a push to the elbow. ;)

gnugear
12-24-2002, 12:32 AM
just with my face

curtis
12-24-2002, 03:28 AM
Hi guys.

here is my two cents.

The tearm blocking is preaty hard to get away from. Although I was tought to clear the primeter. at first sight the two concepts look alike,but I troughly belive there not.

I must go now.

Have a verry Merry Christmass to all.
C.A.G.

TjD
12-24-2002, 05:13 AM
instead of "blocking", i like:

"redirection" (fook sau and/or bong sau energy)
"absorbing" (fook sau and/or bong sau energy)
"cutting through" (tan sau energy)
"wedging" (tan sau energy)

basically, hands that fall under tan sau energy are most strikes with the palm or fist, biu sau, wu sau, gan sau. anything that doesnt involve the arm hingeing at the elbow or shoulder.

hands that fall under fook sau energy are pak sau, etc. anything that involves the arm hingeing at the elbow.

hands that fall under bong sau energy hinge at the shoulder (lan sau, elbow strikes)

the more "rigid" energy from tan sau can either cut through an incoming strike, or "wedge" between the strike and the striker, utilizing the strikes own energy to power that tan sau energy.

redirection is fairly obvious, the hingeing of the shoulder or elbow, backed up by structure causes the strike to pass by, or go on a line such that it doesnt reach its target. by letting the strike go through the other guys energy is still going forward, allowing you to use the other arm to strike against that (ie using their power against them).

absorbing just involves redirecting a strike such that it is against your structure (if your structure is good enough), effectively absorbing the motion.

imo, redirection and wedging, rely more on relaxation and using your opponents energy against them; while absorbing and cutting through involve beating their structure with your own better structure. as wing chun involves both the hard and the soft, some are better suited for some situations.

edit: spelling

canglong
12-24-2002, 03:43 PM
No, Intercept and redirect yes.

cha kuen
12-24-2002, 09:12 PM
Good Post.

**wing chun book** (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25)

Rolling_Hand
12-26-2002, 11:32 AM
Canglong wrote:

No, Intercept and redirect yes.

------------------------------------------------------

Yeah....I'm glad to see some real WCK brothers here!

KenWingJitsu
12-31-2002, 08:05 PM
"No, Intercept and redirect yes."

beautiful!
I mean sure you "can" block a telegraphed attack when you see it coming a mile away. But choosing between blockin and intercepting.....a telegraphed attack is even easier to intercept...

EnterTheWhip
01-03-2003, 11:34 PM
No blocking, mainly breaking.

Martial Joe
01-05-2003, 10:04 PM
People think to much about the arms in wing chun.
What about the legs? I know I block with my legs. I try to deflect more then anything with my arms but when the kicks come jamming them is usually what i work for...thats a block.

byond1
01-06-2003, 03:02 PM
no blocking....interception--jeet
join bridges--dap
lin siu dai da--linked defence and offence.....i use a soft fast (usually)aggresive offence that defends....sometimes i have to be less efficiant(situational) and instead of using the same bridge to attack and defend i have to use the broader use of lin siu dai da by lan da, or biu da or tan da
and thank you yks, sn and rene for the great wc vocabulary

wc kicking??? oh ya..we got it....many martial arts underestimate wc kicking skill....yip mans feet were supposidly better than his hands.....imo, wc gerk fatt is a counter kicking style(this is the best use for me..im not saying this in general)... i know many wc people use kicking as a jaming method...stop the kick before it can even be launched....that is never used isolated from the hands and is therefor shadowless....we have very strong legs from our ygkym, with a little practise, we can kick like a horse..lol or a tiger tail

Gandolf269
01-07-2003, 01:08 AM
"Do you block?"

If blocking = meeting a force with equal or greater force; then NO, that goes against one of the principles of WingTsun.

But, tonight at class I worked on a defense against a crossing punch to the face where I raised my wu sau to the side of my face (at ear level) to "block" my head from being hit; while, at the same time, I was launching a straight punch at the attackers nose combined with an advancing step. My main focus being my advance and punch to the nose. If my wu sau never touched the opponents punching hand (a right or left cross), oh well. But, I beleive this is referred to as covering, not blocking.

KenWingJitsu
01-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Excellent example.......