PDA

View Full Version : starting from the beginning :)

dezhen2001
12-24-2002, 06:30 AM
hey guys,

well, dont really know why im starting this thread - apart from to try to push those political ones down the line a bit more ;)

For these last 6 months or so i have become incredibly lazy and hardly done any training at all. Even more so, my mind has not been 'there' and basically i've been living like a zombie, doing nothing much and feeling like i have no direction.

Well, i think this has happened due to the last year or so of my life. Has really been a crappy one. First of all i got mugged which was the scariest experience of my life (thanks shooter for helping me see things more clearly :)), had lots of financial/family and emotional problems which has really affected my uni work and to be honest i've hit rock bottom.

well... now im just sick of it :mad: im sick of not sleeping well and feeling sh|tty all day, feeling weak and having no energy... let alone my brain feeling like mush and having no concentration or clarity.

The worst feeling in the world is playing with your brothers and being able to feel the difference in your skill... nowadays i have next to none :( I feel really dissapointed wiht myself and know my Sifu is as well even though he doesnt show it. Thats why i have to change. It feels like im starting from scratch again :(

Now i just have to get my @ass back in to gear again...

thats why i started this thread... does anyone have any experiences and/or advice they can share?

Maybe more specifically things like diet etc. to help me build myself up a bit or actually just anything u think is worthwhile... :)

If anyone has any advice on writing/planning 10 000 word dissertations that could also be useful lol ;)

anyway, im rambling...
Merry Xmas for all who celebrate it and hope u all have a good festive season :)

dawood

SevenStar
12-24-2002, 06:58 AM
It's sometimes hard to get back into training after you've been out for a while. You just have to do it. Reach down inside and find that fire that you had before you stopped. Once it's been ignited, you have to get back to where you once were, skill wise. Train hard, work your basics, get back in shape. Not being in shape will be a major deterrent, as you will get p!ssed that you can't hold horse for as long as you once were able or spar as long without getting tired.

Take note of that though. and keep close track of your progress. If you start to lose the fire, look at the progress you've made - write it down - keep a training journal. That way you will actually be able to see how you've progressed over time.

red5angel
12-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Dezhen, we could alway show up at you abode early in the morning and beat you until you decide you are tired of getting beat and so need to train harder.....

it's just a suggestion....

ZIM
12-24-2002, 07:17 AM
If anyone has any advice on writing/planning 10 000 word dissertations that could also be useful lol

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/thesis.html

http://is2.dal.ca/~dts/listserv.html [check the resource list].

LOTR is an allegory for the PhD process.
:)

Oh, & training- you just have to start.

Former castleva
12-24-2002, 07:54 AM
Sailing across the sea of oil,you will eventually end up somewhere where water is bright and clean.
The last time youŽd expect it.

As you know,it has not been too cozy round here either if that helps at all.
I wish I could say something creative,but if you want,IŽd be happy to discuss that stuff over in detail in some another manner of course.

IŽd say do not try to beat yourself too much now that you are already tired.Sleep well,eat well,carefully build your foundation on a solid ground.
Let it flow,do not force it.
Sharpen your tools like a good worker.
There will be no need of proving yourself.

Then youŽll gain a victory over yourself,until the next wall appears.

;)

KC Elbows
12-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Dezhen,
I go through the same thing every year. Mind you, I do not stop my training, but that is because my training is fairly well ingrained. There are times(around X-Mas) where I cannot attend class as much as the single folk, but my training does not stand still.

In addition, it's my opinion that, once you reach the higher levels, you could spend a year really learning what you are shown in ten lessons with a good teacher. Of course, you need to spar in there, but hey, that's the way it is.

My solution is to get together with one of your martial arts friends for the heck of it, shoot the breeze, play push hands/sticky hands/spar, this will keep you working on some of the important lessons you undoubtedly still need to internalize(just like the rest of us), and gets you on the upswing of that curve back to training in class, if that is your goal.

I have been through the ringer this past month, so my class attendance has not been high. However, I warned my teacher that that would be the case, and have sparred more since being away from class against people from other styles. In the end, my fighting skill has improved during the time, not waned.

I recommend working with simplicity. Too many people equate learning three techniques a week with a good thing. This is not necessarily true. I know several people who learn this way. They are okay fighters, but they do not have a single move I fear. The fault is not with the moves, but with the training.

Take from three to five moves that work well for you in your system. Now make 10 combos out of only those moves. Really think about those combos. Which one is best for when the opponent charges? Which one is best to stop a charge? Which one is best when coming in at an angle? Which one creates the best opening to the head? To the body? Are there too many high risk moves in your choices, and not enough simple and reliable moves? The first three moves I did this with were very simple. Hook, chain punch, heel kick. Then I added an uppercut here and there. I have found that, against most opponents, I need nothing fancier. Mind you, I still get lessoned by better fighters, but the number of lessons drastically decreased once I became really well versed on a small number of moves.

Eventually, you will reach a point where you no longer rely on them as separate combos. You will simply be able to switch from between those moves seemlessly.

Remember, kung fu is not something that only exists in your school. It is intrinsic to whoever learns it. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that you know little now, and so beat yourself with that idea. If memory serves me correctly, Bruce Lee's father knew very little. I think he taught his son what little he knew. I know more kung fu than Bruce Lee's father, but his kung fu has achieved much more than mine. I might be thinking Jackie Chan, the point is that what you know and the impact it has cannot be judged simply by looking at how your teacher looks at you and how well you fight, but how you carry out your life.

However, if you don't enjoy your martial arts with all your heart, we as members of KFM will hunt you down like an animal.:D

dezhen2001
12-24-2002, 08:25 AM
thanks for the advice guys :)

i think its more my mind that has waned more than my physical things. i mean my body can still do things, they just dont have so much energy and are not so clear as before... its more my mind has got trampled under so many other things and now im trying to pick myself up again.

its amazing how my physical skill reflects whats going on inside that balding head of mine :D

Sevenstar: good idea about the journal, im trying to find the flame as right now its a vacum LOL

red5: well, it MAY work, but i dont think u could wake me up in the morning ;) hope your training is going well too...

ZIM: thanks for those links, they look good :) Your words on training echoed my Sifu - "Be like Nike - just do it" lol :D

FC: yup, sometimes life sucks, but it does change... just have to hold on till it does and sort things out.

KC: pretty detailed post, thanks :)

I will be training on my own as my Sifu is a 3 hour expensive train ride away, and im a very poor student :(

I think i need ot really go back to basics, work on my siu lim tao and basic things like horse stance and qigong, just to bring myself up again. not worry too much about the fighitng side of things for a while till i feel better.

hmmm... u guys have given me some good ideas :)

i just bought loads of chicken, tuna, eggs and rice so hopefully those will see me thru the next few days until shops open again :D hopefully it will give me enough protein and carbs etc. to help me have more energy.

dawood

rogue
12-24-2002, 09:00 AM
If you don't feel inspired and can't find the fire, just do it. Make it a part of your day or week and just go to class or train. If you only train when you feel like it then you'll end up missing too much.

One more thing, the secret of succesful training is....

Bacon Sammiches. Ya can't train withour a bacon sammich.:D

red5angel
12-24-2002, 09:46 AM
dezhen - you don't think some of us could find a way ? ;)

KC - wow man, you have way way too much time on your hands!! ;)

Cody
12-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Okay, you're bored with your own depression. Starting over means that you overcome the initial inertia. From that point of view, it can feel like a real starting over. Once you get positive feedback that made the training what it was, that will increase your ability to continue and progress.

I would agree that getting back to basics is a fine start. I would also say that you're not really starting All over. You have knowledge and relative youth on your side. You need to regain conditioning, but haven't lost it all in 6 months, and you are as physically sound as you were before.

Your teacher might expect you to bring yourself back to a certain point. It could be that you are thinking that he is as disappointed as you are, when his attention could be elsewhere because that is where he is needed. When you've started to come back, his attention will return because then he will be able to do the most good with the time he has to give.

Re writing. I just sit down and let it rip and then organize later. Or, I start with the outline method and divide topics and subtopics from the onset.

take care,
Cody

KC Elbows
12-24-2002, 11:27 AM
Red5,
Nope, I just write faster than you. Okay, maybe I write fast and have time management issues. Now, if I can up the speed of my writing enough, I can maintain my posting and have a life. Thanks, you've motivated me to reset my priorities. You are so wise. May I call you His Holiness?:D

Dezhen,
Just remember, whenever reading my advice, that I just got off of the gollum bjj thread and corrected someone on the nature of maiar in the Tolkein universe. Also keep in mind that if my advice does not include animal sacrifice and body paint, I didn't give you very good advice.;)

Merryprankster
12-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Here's some advice from a guy who is so disorganized, keeping a journal of any kind is next to impossible.

I had a big run of "bad luck," at several tournaments. I lost to guys I knew I could beat. Things really just weren't shaping up. Then, finally, it happened. One of our phenoms started kicking my ass. And not just a little bit--by a lot.

So I realized that if this blue belt who I outweigh by 40 lbs is kicking my ass, even if he is one of the best in the world (I firmly believe this, and it has been verified by his recent performances), then the purple belts at the pan-ams are going to make me their *****.

So had to set a goal: Get good enough to win the Pan-Ams. Then I had to do the things that lead to that goal:

1. Get in REAL shape.
2. Improve my strengths.
3. Shore up my weaknesses.
4. Ensure I am taking care of myself (work, sleep, relationships)

It's paid off. Set a big goal--list the strategic things you have to do to achieve them, then everything follows from there.

Nothing improves your drive like success. Pick something, anything, drill it repeatedly until it's like clockwork, and work on using it until it's yours. Repeat as necessary.

Set a goal--it gives you a way to pull yourself out of lethargy.

Arhat of Fury
12-24-2002, 11:45 AM
Recognition is the first step to recovery. sounds qstupid but its the truth

Good Luck
AOF

KC Elbows
12-24-2002, 11:56 AM
Dez, what MP didn't mention in his last post was all that body paint and animal sacrifice it took to get there.

Shooter
12-24-2002, 01:43 PM
dez, no problem, my brother. :) All the best to you...

Merryprankster
12-24-2002, 02:50 PM
KC is correct. You too can summon up the powers of hell in your own home. All you need is vinegar, common baking soda, and GOOOOOOOOOOAT'S BLOOOOOOOOOOD.

KC Elbows
12-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Before I followed Merryprankster's method, I was a 98 lbs. weakling. Heck, I could hardly even strangle my first goat! However, now, after only six treatments of goats blood/vinegar/baking soda infusions, I am able to hold my own with seasoned fighters. Thanks Merryprankster!:D

Merryprankster
12-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Yours for the low,low payment of one soul or a nubile virgin. Your choice.

dezhen2001
12-24-2002, 04:45 PM
thanks guys im getting a heck of a long sleep 2nite and then gonna start off everything 2moro... :)

MP: the checklist kinda idea is a good one, im working on those right now for training and otherwise.

KC: have u ever read any david eddings? lol i dont wanna get mixed up with any demons as ur mind has to be strong enough to house them in the 'image' u have of them... right now i think they would escape and eat me! :D

Cody: thanks :) actually i spoke to my Sifu about my problems a while ago and i think hes letting me pull thru them myself which is his way. hopefully things will start to happen soon.

hehe, now about the goat and body paint? ;)

dawood

David Jamieson
12-24-2002, 05:04 PM
I usually combat these sorts of things by doing something I wouldn't normally do to kick start myself from the catharsis I know I'm in.

Go to a museum or an art gallery. Take in some stuff for the head. Go to a public gym or pool and use the facilities. It doesn't cost a lot.

Go for a swim, go for a bike ride. Take yourself slowly from lethargy to action and once active again, keep the wheel spinning so to speak, kick in the Kung Fu training and let it take you where you want to be.

Sweat, be "a good tired".

Don't follow the pattern you find yourself in anymore, make a different pattern.

peace

dezhen2001
12-24-2002, 05:13 PM
thanks for the quote stumblefist :)

hey if the length of plateau increases with skill level, then i must be skilled - 7 months :cool: lol

Actually i think it must be hard for my Sifu to see me like this, as before i was very close to him until all the problems started and now i am more distant. Sitting at his table when we went for the end of year dinner showed me part of my life that was missing and i realised i had to do something about it.

i havent lost the desire to do martial arts, just that when i do train there is no spark there and it really makes me feel bad :( it really feels like i am training crappy and even worse than mediocre.

Anyway its been a pretty long battle campaign inside me and i think the good guys are on the brink of winning :)

dawood

Mr Punch
12-25-2002, 02:17 AM
Hi Dawood :)

I would agree with MP (pre-goat sacrificing advice), but that's pretty hardcore advice and may be difficult to follow if 'real' life (though what's more real than training?! ;) ) gets in the way.

I reached a plateau years ago, and quit the school for about 9 months. That is drastic I know. At the time I also quit smoking and drinking and women (and pretty much I realised after a wee while... smiling!!:eek: I kid you not!). That's well drastic I know!!!

I was doing voluntary work, and took up gardening in every spare moment, except for a little zazen. The gardening was good hard honest physical labour, but in a completely different way to the training. Although different it continued to improve my body mechanics (and my spear hand for planting etc...!). I trained solo when I felt like it and abandoned the worrying about not training. Every two or three weeks I would pop into the dojo to watch, or chat with my sensei.

At the end I was completely refreshed and found my skills had improved no end.

Actually, looking at it again, now I've typed it, this advice is about as austere as MP's in a different direction. Maybe I was (am) a bit odd. I'll stop now!!! :D

Stumble: I love that book and would recommend it to anyone, especially if in need of inspiration. And I love that quote from the movie. Thanks.

Merryprankster
12-25-2002, 07:44 AM
I guess what this experience reinforced in my mind is that we are the sum products of our choices.

I had a decision to make--I could continue on in my current direction--I was boxing, and doing BJJ, and I loved them both, but the schedule I was on wasn't letting me get in good enough shape to compete, and compromised my sleeping--and I would always be "that guy who gave the 'big name' a **** good match," and come in 3rd all the time...

Or, I could focus my intentions, rid myself of outside distractions, and make the decision to be the man to beat.

I had the choice between either being deciding to be satisfied with my level of performance and not realizing my dreams, or of doing everything I could to live up to my potential.

It's not that hardcore, really.... it's more a matter of setting a personal goal and then everything you do from then on out is a platform for furthering that goal.

For instance, I make sure that my relationships are sound and beneficial, and that my performance at work is beyond reproach. This means that I have more mental focus and more time to concentrate on my training--I'm not worried about other things and I'm not getting phone calls about where a work product is, etc. Problems are taken care of swiftly and immediately, even if I have to miss some sort of training because little problems have a way of mushrooming into big ones if you don't fix them right away.

Rhadi Ferguson once said something to me that stuck--he got it from his father-- "Responsibility is doing what needs to be done when it needs doing."

In a training environment, that translates to "The will to succeed is the will to prepare."

Ok... I'm rambling

Cheers!