PDA

View Full Version : Bak Hok/White Crane - any publically available videos/books?

sing fu
12-24-2002, 10:34 PM
A friend is interested in seeing some White Crane movement, and I was wondering if any good books/videos might exist? I have 'Feeding Crane Fist' book in Cantonese, but would like to pass on some more to him if possible. Might anyone have any suggestions?

Crimson Phoenix
12-25-2002, 02:00 PM
There's also a video about Feeding Crane Fist from Liu Chang I (grandson of famous master Liu Gou) from Tsunami productions...

You also have Yang Jwing Ming's book:
http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/esofshaolwhi.html

And also the newly released videos:
http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/shaolwhitcra.html
http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/shaolwhitcra1.html

YJM's white crane is zhong he (ancestral crane).

And there was a book from Lorne Bernard about Jumping Crane, but it might be quite hard to find...

Hope it helped!!

sing fu
12-25-2002, 03:43 PM
It sure did! Thanks for those links - much appreciated! :)
Feeding Crane and Jumping Crane are both southern crane fist from memory. Is Dr. Yang's white crane also southern?

Thanks again Crimson Phoneix and Happy Holidays!

JAZA
12-25-2002, 06:31 PM
This guy have some white crane online videos

http://www.deluca.cl/videos.htm

sing fu
12-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks Jaza! That school looked like it was using long fist - top reference. :)

JAZA
12-25-2002, 08:32 PM
I don't know too much about this school, it teachs more than one style apparently, but his top instructor has Chan Hak Fu lineage.

Crimson Phoenix
12-26-2002, 03:55 AM
Sing Fu, yes, YJM is Fujian White Crane...

The crane shown in the short video clips of the school really do not look like southern white crane...some movements ressemble, but the jing tastes different...also, southern white crane would rarely use deep lunging stance like this and never these spinning high kicks...their list of animals seems a bit weird...I could pass on the black crane, but dolphin? golden crane? huh??

GOLDEN ARMOR
12-26-2002, 07:30 AM
I didn't see the clips but I think Chan Hak Fu is a Tibetan White Crane sifu. Long arms & deep stances sounds more like Tibetan Crane/Lama.

sing fu
12-26-2002, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up gentlemen!

This should give my mate all the references he's after (we just had an article on fukien white crane in a local japanese mag w/some elemental hands, a little conditioning and a couple of shots of the hoe and a knife weapon with twin short prongs) :)

Just out of my own interest, does anyone know what weapons curriculum southern white crane has?

Crimson Phoenix
12-27-2002, 05:15 AM
wooow, that's a big question...
okie, here's for some widespread ones in the various southern crane styles: staff (generally eyebrow-high), double short rod (very common weapon in southern China), Chai (the japanese Sai, a common fujianese weapon as well), hooked spear, and kan ma dao (horse legs cutting saber). I have seen (or been documented) these weapons performed in several southern white crane styles including YJM's ancestral crane, yongchun white crane and some other crane styles (ming he or fei he, can't remember 100%).

But the list goes on, for example Dr Yang additionnally lists in his books: saber, double dagger, double sword, hook and shield, wu's hook sword, hard whip, spear, trident, guan dao, ti dao, sweeper, and spade. This, he states "is only one style of many, and also only a portion of what his master passed down to him" (he estimates that he knows only half of what his master knew).
So you can conclude for yourself that indeed the weapons are countless...also, some style will favor certain weapons more than the others...
As I said, I personally seen staff, chai, double short rod and kan ma dao performed in at least two to 3-4 southern white crane sub-styles. I cannot say for the others, since my knowledge is very limited.
But I guess you got the idea: think of a weapon, and there are good chances some crane style trains it
:D

sing fu
12-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Crimson Phoenix - that's a huge amount of weaponry :eek:
Thanks once again for your knowledge - that gives me a good orientation about white crane!