PDA

View Full Version : chin woo- tam tui, jeet kuen and gung lek kuen

gung lik kuen
12-25-2002, 12:29 PM
its been a while since ive been here but... anyway.......
Ive been studying chin woo kung fu for 5 years now, but I was wondering where the origins of the chin woo syllabus came from? its gonna be hard to find exact quotes as to why we chose these forms along with nam choi bung bo , bagua dao etc. Mt sisfu has shown me a lot but it would be intresting to see what you guys in the states have especially any students of jimmy woo...

i also know from my general reading that there are other types of gung like and tam tui. Surely they would be the same ? But I guess that everyone has their own interpretation of the forms and would tailor it to suit the style they practice.. ie eagle claw.

Some thoughts would be cool.

Also can anyone explain why the sanshou we see looks like kick boxing ?

And the last thing is ..... to gene ching really, will the magazine ever do anything on the chin woo association? it was good to read the article on the chin woo world cup, but something on its roots ane history would be nice to see, consiedering it is such a big organisation and has many members in so many countries and also its historical place in china.

any thoughts peeps
Greg
student of Yokewan lee
Chin Woo UK

SevenStar
12-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by gung lik kuen

Also can anyone explain why the sanshou we see looks like kick boxing ?

When people fight, they use what is natural to them, which would tell me one of three things:

1. they train to fight that way
2. they aren't drilling the principles of their system enough, only the strikes.
3. it works for them, so that's what they prefer.

LEGEND
12-25-2002, 06:34 PM
"Also can anyone explain why the sanshou we see looks like kick boxing ?"

Since u've been training for 5 years...how about u go out there and compete in ONE event so we can see the difference in KICKBOXING san shou and CHIN WOO san shou.

gung lik kuen
12-26-2002, 02:44 AM
Well legend im not saying that chin woo teachings are the best!!!! Im just wondering why a lot of masters ie tat mau wong have said that sanshou is not the same as it was back in the day!!! im no expert by a long shot !!!

ngokfei
01-10-2003, 01:43 AM
For a good source of information search the internet for a sifu Wing Kit Lam. He has a publishing company who as already put out 3 books on Chin Woo Forms along with History of each form:
Tam Tui, Kung Lek Kuen, Dai Gin Kuen, Jeet Kuen, Kwan Yeung Quan, Bat Gwa Do and Ng Fu Cheung. Waiting for his next book which will be on the 2 person sets. Have you learnedthe Dai Gin Kuen Set. Most don't learn it but it is a great form but very long so good for the root and stamina. PS. Why does the 2 peson tam tui look so lame??

Modern San Shou looks like kickboxing because it was created in the West and not the East. You know how many books on boxing and karate I've found in china. Just makes sense since boxing is the most scientific and sport promoting.

San Shou of China is a start. Would be better if they had levels such as A, B & C, where A is for the best and they use knee and elbow strikes. as well. Now for those who want more there is the no hold barred, K-1, Octagon, CAge etc venues. Love to see some of the San Shou Athletes of China try that out. Be an eye opener.

The West may have the shortest history but we've made the most strides in our short existance.

eric