PDA

View Full Version : Keepers of the Chan Family CLF ????

premier
08-17-2000, 05:14 AM
Some guy said:

------
"Chen Yong Fa is not the only person considered a keeper of the Choy Lee Fut system in Hong Kong and in Clf lineageÂ’s coming out of Hong Kong, Chen Kin Man is considered by many to Jun Mun (keeper of the style). I believe she is a Great Great grand daughter of Chan Heung. A lot of the Clf People in Hong Kong and Singapore until recently have never heard of Chen Yong Fa."
--------

Where you heard this from? I'm just asking, because I'm a chan family clf practisioner and I've never heard about this before.

I don't know if Chen Yong Fa has a sister in Hong Kong, but I'm sure she can't be called Jerng mun yun - Keeper of the style, because there can't be two of them at the same time. right?

CLFNole
08-17-2000, 07:49 PM
Chen Kin Man is a man. I think you are referring to Chan Kit Fong, she is the daughther of Chan Yui Chi, who was Chan Hueng's grandson.

alecM
08-18-2000, 01:34 PM
Chan Yon Fa is the keeper of the Chan family branch of CLF, he has admitted it himself in an interview this month on the Spanish wing sing tong website.

alecM
08-18-2000, 02:42 PM
I was a bit hasty in saying it was Chen Yong Fa who said he not was not keeper of the style only the keeper of the Chan Family branch,but the statement is still there, although in Spanish. Here is a translated extract: “I want to clarify that Jeong Moon Chan Yong Fa is not the Guardian of all the Choy Lee Fut with its different branches, teachers, etc.. He is the Guardian of the Choy Lee Fut of the Chan family”.
Tocheck it out your self go to http://translator.go.com/ and paste in this address, http://www.terra.es/personal/wst.sp/wstmes.htm and it will give a rough translation for you.

premier
08-19-2000, 05:01 AM
OK. that makes sense, but basically I just wanted to know who is this woman. the woman who is said to be jerng mun yun of chan family clf. (now I assume it's chan family clf, because she's chan herself)

alecM
08-19-2000, 01:07 PM
To find out more about Chan Kit Fong have a look at THE HUNG SING GWOON http://www.hungsing.com. There is a picture of her on their gallery page.

CLFNole
08-20-2000, 07:41 PM
I believe Chan Kit Fong (the woman you are refering to) is Chan Yong Fa's aunt. Her father was Chan Yui Chi who was Chan Koon Pak's son (Chan Goon Pak was Chan Hueng's son). She probably isn't considered the keeper of the style because important material was likely passed on the male children in the family rather than the female (old time sexism). Her brother is Chan Yong Fa's father. Regardless they are both part of the same Chan family.

alecM
08-21-2000, 01:19 AM
Personally IÂ’m not that bothered who is considered the Jun Mun of CLF as every branch has a master whom they branch considers their keeper of the style.
The following is an extract from the CLF wooden dummy book featuring the late master Ho Ngau. Please note I am not arguing about who is and who is not the keeper of the style IÂ’m just passing on a little bit more information on Chan kit Fong.

On the founding and official establishing of the Association in Memory of Chan Heung, the great granddaughter of Chan Heung, Chan Kit Fong made public the monumental work of Chan Heung The Secret of training of Choy Lee Fut. In it, Chan Heung introduced to the world at large of the boxing forms, weaponry, dummy techniques etc. Especially the dummies as there were many different kinds such as the sandbag dummy, balance dummy, and dummies for the practicing of weapons and nerve-attacking techniques.

premier
08-21-2000, 03:40 AM
yeah. I'm willing to accept that chan yong fa is only the jerng mun yun of chan family clf.

but what is that book? "the CLF wooden dummy book" where did you get that?? and this "Chan Heung The Secret of training of Choy Lee Fut" sounds like a book title too. any idea where to find these?

alecM
08-22-2000, 12:51 AM
The wooden dummy book is called Choy Lee Fut Wooden Dummy techniques by Leo Chu featuring Sifu Ho Ngou, the book is an old book written in both Chinese and English. There is no publishers name at least not in English. I think the secret training book could be the manual of Choy Lee Fut by Chan Heung. ThatÂ’s all I know.

cha kuen
08-30-2000, 01:35 PM
I was looking through that book today. The CLF wooden dummy is pretty interesting. Much different from the traditional wing chun dummy.

premier
08-30-2000, 05:31 PM
yeah. well. there's 18 different wooden dummies in choy lee fut. I don't know which one in introduced on that book, but I'm not suprised if it looks different than wing chun dummy, since the principles in clf and wc are so different.

PS. I don't know any wooden dummy forms. I'm just telling you what I know and add my own ideas to it =)

alecM
08-31-2000, 12:47 AM
The book features the ching jong and has a picture of Sifu Ho Ngau striking a dummy called a wheel dummy. The wheel dummy looks a bit like the siu sao jong.

[This message has been edited by alecM (edited 08-31-2000).]