PDA

View Full Version : Attn Olu

Ray Pina
12-26-2002, 07:24 AM
How are you?

I noticed that you are from Newark. I was born and raised in the area. I started my martial arts at a small Dojo on elm street in the ironbound section.

I use to throw boxes for UPS in the east orange facility as well and spent too much time hanging around the Collonades off McCarter Hwy.

Are you studying internal in Newark? I was never aware of its pressence there.

Anyway, I was just in the old neighborhood yesterday. Unfortunately, going home sometimes correlates with news of an OD or other bad news, but for the guys who have their heads on straight, all good men.

Peace
Ray

Olu
12-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Hi EvolutionFist,
I just recently moved to Newark from Ohio, where I went to college. I'm still getting used to the city. I live on the outskirts close to Belleville so I'm ****her way from the more sketchy parts. I don't think there is any internal teaching in Newark. I travel into Manhattan to study from Master Wang Rengang, he posts here sometimes as Dachengdao.
Anyway, thanks for the message man.
Later

Ray Pina
12-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Ohio to Newark ... are you experiencing culture shock?

I know exactly where you are talking about. There used to be a club over there, Tequila Joe's -- I think its closed now.

There's an interesting pool hall up that mainroad going towards Route 3: Guys and Galls.

Also, if you go up Bloomfield Ave into Montclair, there is an awesome used bookstore on the right hand side, it's across the street from a bead store. If you hit the movie theatre you went too far.

Enjoy Newark. Good Jazz and Hip Hop scene if you find it. Lock your doors. :)

Peace and good training with your master
Ray

Olu
12-28-2002, 04:55 PM
Culture shock really happened for me when I moved from Ghana to Ohio for college. compared to that, moving to Newark wasn't that bad. :)
Thanks for the info on the book store. I'll definitely take a look at that. I'm always looking for good reading material.
I didn't know that there was a good jazz scene in Newark. Any recommendations on places to go? What about in New York? Nowadays I;m getting a little tired of hip-hop clubs. I love the music but I'm tired of being in places where people are too busy being 'hard' to dance. Nowadays I'm tryin to find spots that play underground music. They're usually more fun.
Anyway, thanks for all the info man. Happy new year and good training:D
Kwasi

Ray Pina
01-02-2003, 07:11 AM
You're in luck.

I know a few Drum N' Bass DJs if you're into that. Not big fancy clubs, underground warehouses come dressed as you please.

Good music. Nice people.

On Saturday, try Bak Tune on 14th street in Manhattan. 14th and one block up from Westside Highway. Get there at about midnight. It doesn't go too late -- maybe 6:00 a.m. -- but good poeple, nice vibe. Everyone dancing.

For Jazz, try this place called Smalls right by Village Cigars. It's much cheaper then the big name places like the Blue Note and you can bring your own wine if you're into that sort of thing.

I'll post you when a nice venue comes up. I should be hearing soon.