PDA

View Full Version : When do you start kicking?

[Censored]
12-26-2002, 01:20 PM
When and how do you introduce kicking in your curriculum? What skills does the student need to have before kicking practice is appropriate or worthwhile? How do you practice kicking, other than through the forms?

TjD
12-26-2002, 03:07 PM
second section of chum kiu :)

i practice chain kicking in the air, and on the dummy. i also kick on the wall bag, and on my heavy bag (since i have no wall bag at home).

usually i push my heavy bag out, and when its swinging back towards me i kick it (to test my root).

yuanfen
12-26-2002, 04:37 PM
[Censored]

When do you start kicking
-------------------------------
asap after they can lift a leg forward in ygkym.
joy

Wingman
12-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
[Censored]

When do you start kicking
-------------------------------
asap after they can lift a leg forward in ygkym.
joy

... and do SLT in a one legged stance. A good balance is needed to execute a proper kick. WC people must be able to use his hands (for offense or defense) when he kicks. Doing SLT in a one legged stance is a good training exercise to practice your balance while doing various hand techniques.

yenhoi
12-26-2002, 07:38 PM
I wasent taught Chum Kil until I could do the SLT one legged. After learning the CK, I was taught the kicking applications and started some very basic chi gerk which I have yet to progress from.

anerlich
12-26-2002, 10:13 PM
*When and how do you introduce kicking in your curriculum?

First lesson.

*What skills does the student need to have before kicking practice is appropriate or worthwhile?

The ability to stand up and to follow their instructor's directions.

*How do you practice kicking, other than through the forms?

In the air, kicking shields, mitts and thai pads, heavy bags, slow medium and fast, slow with ankle weights, in combination with various techniques.

[Censored]
12-27-2002, 11:08 AM
What is "chain kicking"?

When you do SLT on one leg, how do you hold the other one? For 10 mintues? 20? :eek:

yenhoi
12-28-2002, 10:34 PM
20 minutes each leg right now. There are different ways to hold the one in the air. First move to the 'sideling stance' then lift the front leg. First is the leg is barely off the ground (like less then an inch).Second is with the knee held on centerline (abouts) almost waist high. And third is the end of a 'heart piercing kick' - basically leg extended in kick position (just like your kicking!)

TjD
12-28-2002, 11:10 PM
chain kicking is doing multiple kicks on one leg. its good for building one legged structure/root, and power expression. a good example is the section on the dummy where you do a straight kick, followed by a downward kick to the knee, and followed with a side kick to the shin (while the arms switch from tan sau/wu sau to wu sau/bong sau).

i also do a simple multiple kick drill: front kick, back kick, side kick (all with the same leg without having the kicking leg touch the ground). i do as many sets as time/my body allows of 10 reps of front back side per leg, without letting the kicking leg touch the ground between each rep - just front back side front back side front back side.. etc. i usually try to do 10-15 sets, which comes out to about 300-450 kicks per leg.