PDA

View Full Version : Pa-Kua book - total find or totally lame (repost from main forum)

Chang Style Novice
12-26-2002, 02:35 PM
I paid under $3.00 today for a copy of "Pa-Kua: Chinese Boxing for Fitness and Self-Defense" by Robert W. Smith. The title page indicates that this edition was published and printed in Malaysia and appears to be a first paperback edition. The instructions and photos seem pretty clear (although in my skimming of the text, I've already noticed Smith says that "the gulf between what you have just learned and classical Pa-Kua is quite wide.")

Anybody know this book, and have an opinion on it's utility? I've never learned any Pa-Kua (or Bagua for that matter:D) so I'm not fooling myself that this little thing will make me a master, but I do hope that it's a decent place to start a little self-study.

I'll post this on the internal forum as well.

HuangKaiVun
12-26-2002, 03:17 PM
The book shows the external moves of the Baguazhang 8 palm set, if I recall.

However, I don't remember there being anything in there about applications of the moves in a real combat situation.

MaFuYee
12-28-2002, 12:53 AM
i think that book is still in print.

that was one of the first books you could get, written in english, about bagua.

there are better ones out there now.

better yet, videotapes.

best of all, teachers.

hairywhiteguy
01-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Is this the one with the 24 and mother palms of Shu Chin-mien ( I don't know if I pronounced that right but its the fat chinese guy).

I'm more or less interested in its condition. If you don't want it, I'd like to see if your willing to part w/ it.

John