PDA

View Full Version : Pan-Mantis Conference

mantis108
12-27-2002, 04:07 PM
This interesting topic was brought up in the other thread. Sifu Cottrell and Art D both presented their excellent view and insight into the matter. I believe it deserves its own thread for further discussions so I opened this thread to voice my view on the subject as well.

First off, Sifu Cottrell's account of events really are thought provoking. I agree with Art D that in a tournament setting it is not the best venue for indepth discussion about PM Kung Fu. I would support a conference or even better a symposium of PM Kung Fu.
After all from what is revealed, it seems like theories and philosophies are high up on the agenda. I have the distinct impression that the "failure" was that a open end discussion was supposed to have happen. So while some eager and open minded people shared, others who are skeptical and narrow minded ones rain on the parade.

To avoid such procedural glitch, it is better to have all those participating in the discussion each to present an article about the same topic before they are accepted to the discussion (kinda like putting down a par for showhand) ;) That way we all know that no one is bluffing. Also it would help to have a vote by secret ballet at the table to select 3 or 5 people (if you have say 12 people) to hold workshop for both the round table and the other junior ranks participant after the article presentation. That way, the most well presented article/idea will have a chance to make a physical debut. I think that way we can really work together without accusing others of being uncoorperative.

Of course other activities can be held at the same time.

Just a thought on promoting a Pan-Mantis conference.

Mantis108

Art D
12-27-2002, 10:16 PM
Mantis 108, Great input! I think that that type of format will help a great deal. I have a couple of question? How would we form a review board and how would we arrange the vote. Also I think that it should all be at no cost to anyone, offer your information to the community. So the only cost is get to the venue and accommodations, let’s not turn this into a business venture for someone’s profit.

mantis108
12-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Hi Art D,

Thanks, glad you like the format. To answer your questions:

1) There is a choice between setting up an organizing commity for the event or just have the participants to do the work. This organizing commity board will be the admition board. All entries summited would be first reviewed by this board and then printed without edition. So everyone, who is to present his theories or what have you, is going to see in the physical copy what the others are presenting as well. The other way is to have those who are going to do the presentations to form the commity and they collected and print the material just as the afore mentioned fashion. The first way is more neutral while the second way could run into certain problems.

2) The voting should take place after the presentations and should only be those who did the presentations allowed to vote among themselves. After all it is their efforts and as such they should have the right to determine who is among them the best presentation(s). Since it is by secret ballet, no one would be afraid to seemingly making the other guy look bad. If an organizing commity is presented, it could assume the role of supervision. The way it can ensure things go through smoothly. BTW, I should also mention that these people should come prepare to host a workshop if case they got voted in. This way we can be sure everyone can talk the talk and walk the walk. ;)

BTW, I think Sifu Cottrell's effort in setting up the "Mantis Quaterly" is a good starting point to open up communications between different Mantis groups and to discover "talons" in the Mantis community beside provoking thoughts and soul searching. Unlike the conventional channel (ie ordinary MA magazines or videos), I believe the Mantis Quaterly can promote more interaction, thus more understanding and cooperations, between mantis stylists; hence, setting forth a path way for a Mantis Brian Trust. It is IMHO a promising direction for growth and development in Mantis Kung Fu. Frankly, I am glad to see a publication that is Mantis specific. I hope that most of you who are serious about Mantis Kung Fu will support this meaningful project.

Regards

Mantis108

MantisifuFW
12-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Mantis 108,

Your concept on a meeting is excellent! You are, in fact, proposing a colloquim of sorts, (as I recall from my post grad days). It is and should be an academic discussion of theories, histories and approaches to an art by those well equipped and prepared to participate and represent their respective branch.

There are many good sifu today of all branches of Tanglang present in the U.S. who could easily do the technical "heavy lifting" to represent their arts. Don't ask me why I did not think of it in the past...oh well, a mind is a terrible thing to lose!

Regardless, this is a fantastic concept. I will discuss it with sifu I know and see what can be done.

I appreciate your comments on the Quarterly, it will begin distribution shortly to schools. I want it firstly in the hands of sifu, responsibly operating schools or groups of students where discussion of the ideas present can be addressed by these teachers; such perspective is an integral part of my concept of the Quarterly as a support of Tanglang schools.

Again, Mantis108, a great idea!

Steve Cottrell

mantis108
12-31-2002, 12:07 PM
Glad you found the idea practical. I hope that we will soon see a Mantis convention in Northern America. Regarding your Mantis Quaterly perspective, I believe it is an excellent one. Please keep up the great work.

Sincerely,

Robert Hui (Mantis108)

ursa major
01-07-2003, 11:22 AM
The Mantis Quarterly publication is the best MA news I've heard in a long time -- where do I sign up ?

thx,
UM.

MantisifuFW
01-07-2003, 02:10 PM
The Quarterly will be distributed only to schools and organizations, at least for the forseeable future. We have nine countries now which are contributing articles/ receiving copies. If you wish to discuss the format, how your school can receive the newsletter, please email me off list through the private email. We are setting up a Q&A at www.mantisquarterly.com. but it is not finished yet.

The publication is meant to supplement the teaching of the instructor in class, providing perspectives from instructors around the world. It will never be a magazine as I see it now, just something that students will save for reference and that instructors can gain ideas and insight from reading. There will also no doubt be the occasional debate, (surprise).

Anyway contact me off list for further info. It is a modest, first step in building community.

Steve Cottrell