PDA

View Full Version : CLF in combat/self defense?

sing fu
12-28-2002, 11:09 PM
Is there any difference in the Buk Sing or Hung Sing's approaches to combat in self defense? Different forms may produce slightly different emphasis, but do any major differences exist between the schools on an application level?

Sing Fu

firepalm
12-29-2002, 01:55 AM
Pretty much punch the other guy out while sustaining a minimum of damage....
;)

sing fu
12-29-2002, 02:03 AM
And here I was thinking some lines taught stand still and take as much punishment as possible in an effort to tire the other guy out. Boy was I WRONG! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if you got any thoughts on my question, I'd appreciate it!

monk weed
12-29-2002, 06:53 AM
I would think that a good sifu would teach effective combat techniques to his students no matter if he were hung or buk sing. It has been said that buk sing trains more for actual combat because of the lack of forms that are in buk sing but I feel that is dependant on the school and teacher. If you train only in the forms aspect of clf or any martial art your best defense is to stay away from fighting.

sing fu
12-29-2002, 08:18 AM
Thanks Monk Weed - I agree all good sifu do train their pupils for real defense. To be more specific, I wondered if the actual mechanics/tactics used by the two schools were significantly different - for example, wing chun short arms fights quite differently from the torquing long arms of CLF, so they are easy to differentiate - what do you think?

In a Japanese style I do, it has been 'refined' from older forms, so the teaching curriculum is different between the two. However, if you compare the two distinct arts, their mechanics, set-ups, strategies are about 90% the same - except the 'refined' one contains a part of unique takedowns and chokes which changes the flavor slightly. The longstaff basically has the same movement in the two forms, but the 'refined' one focuses more on a couple of 'signature moves' for disarming your attacker quickly, and has some cool unique spinning movements.

monk weed
12-29-2002, 06:07 PM
Sing fu;

Although I don't train buk sing I'm fairly confident that all the main techniques are the same. Now, how and what veriation or combinations taught may be slightly different from one school or another but the philosophy is the same. The only way I can tell the difference between hung sing and buk sing is when they do a form, when fighting it's kinda hard to tell.

sing fu
12-30-2002, 04:36 AM
Thanks again Monk Weed - I read you about the similarity in general. I hadn't considered different combinations being stressed in different schools though! :)

Ben Gash
01-01-2003, 06:26 PM
The techniques are largely the same. The main difference is that Bak Sing guys place a lot of emphasis on forward energy and use a lot more running horse and shuffles.