PDA

View Full Version : any internet/pc experts out there?

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 11:53 AM
coz i got a problem :(

well 1st of all the university seems to have shut off their main server yesterday so i cant connect (for free) to the internet. So right now im using my dial up and using another isp.

BUT i have no idea whats happening, things seem to be connecting really slow. MSN, icq and yahoo etc. dont even seem to be working, and neither does Wens chatroom :( So i have no contact with the outside world LOL

whats worse is also that even my IE doesnt seem to be working properly, and i have to keep refreshing a page around 5 times before it actually loads...

now i have no idea whats up with that? do any of u?

i thought it may have been that somehow java got disabled and stuff, but it shouldnt be as i havent changed anything since before.

the main reason its a problem is because i have to do a crud lod of research for a 10 000 word dissertation, and my reason for staying at uni and not going home was to do it (apart form being poor). But i cant now :(:mad:

so its really puzzling me?
if anyone can htink of anything or knows anything then thanks a lot!

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 12:05 PM
What OS are you using?

When you were connected through the university to you have to enter any proxy information? or set static DNS numbers?

Have you got a firewall?

If so hardware or software?

Devon
Helpdesk Technician

If ya like PM me I can try to help ya out

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 12:10 PM
thanks for the help :)

im using windows 2000 pro

didnt have to use a proxy but have 2 dsn numbers

also needed a ppp connection script so i could log on to the network.

now i am using a dial up i am using a different dial up profile so these shouldnt affect it. (it also worked before just fine).

the thing is i havent changed anything since i set it up, so have no idea whats just happened :confused:

**** i must sound like one of the hundreds of scared/nervous clients u have each day :D

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 12:19 PM
when you try to connect to the messenger programs does it just time out or give a specific error?

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 12:23 PM
hi :)

icq gives a specific error (error code 5, error category 4)

msn just gives the standard error message and doesnt connect. OR sometimes it connects for a short while though then screws up (yet acts like im still connected).

yahoo just doesnt connect.

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 12:32 PM
np for the help

have you tried removing the dns and setting the machine to auto obtain dns info?

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 12:41 PM
on the isp account i am using now its already been set to automatic for the ip address and dns server address :(

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 12:49 PM
I talked with a couple of buddys at the office and they are leaning towards possible viral infection or spyware.

Do you run any filesharing proggies?

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 12:57 PM
no filesharing progs, and i have done all the usual stuff like only opening emails i know etc. even when chatting i have only chat to people i know, but did go in to a chatroom for a short while (on yahoo) so maybe someone did something then? :(

now i cant even connect thru yahoo chat to a chatroom.

but it only seemed to start happening when i was online the other day and my modem disconnected... that was when the uni decided to switch off their server (as far as i can guess as the uni is closed).

this is bad news :(

the only other thing i can think of was that i downloaded a small piece of software that lets you make your own screensavers using pics from http://www.webshots.com which seems reputable etc.

:mad:

thanks for your advice anyway :)

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Webshots is the culprit!!

ok go to www.lavasoftusa.com (http://www.lavasoftusa.com) and download a program called adaware 5.83

After it dls run it and anything it detects remove, that should solve the problem.

I've seen webshots bbq systems before, small problem fairly easy fix.

Cheers,

Any questions msg me.

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 01:19 PM
thanks for the help - i bet im the customer from the furthest away u ever had to deal with? :D

i d/l the software and will run it. hopefully things will get fixed.

thanks again :)

dawood

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 01:30 PM
d@mn not done scanning yet and 19 identified files :(

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 01:31 PM
are they registry keys?

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 01:36 PM
i pressed a wrong button and have to scan again but they all seemed to be cookies and stuff like that...

should be done soon :D

dawood

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 01:46 PM
there seems to be 1 registry key listed as well, but all the cookies and stuff are gone.

hopefully this will take care of them all... thanks for your help i may yet be able to get this essay done lol :)

dawood

infinet
12-29-2002, 01:49 PM
anytime :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-29-2002, 02:38 PM
spayware is bullsh!t.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-29-2002, 02:40 PM
i run an xp 2000 (ocd to 1.75) with 512 ddr and that sh it has managed to bog me down on occasion. adaware is a great util ... a must have these days,.

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 02:47 PM
dunno what any of that meant GDA :D

does anyone know anywhere i can d/l any good virus software? coz i had to reinstall everything a few weeks ago and i used a copy of my mates but hes gone now :(

things seem to be a bit faster now on IE but i still dont seem to be able to connect to any chat software or wens forum (java) chatroom :(

dawood

Former castleva
12-29-2002, 02:59 PM
All too bad mate.
All I can really do is brag about it with the flow and hope it´s going to work out (Hopefully you will be able to afford new software soon :confused: :) )

I´d still have to wonder if it has something to do with low coal levels... :D
;)

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 03:04 PM
its still not working even though i cleaned my pc using the adware prg...

dawood

wufupaul
12-29-2002, 05:34 PM
Yo man, I use an online anti-virus site to scan. The url is: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ Hope you get the puter working. Have you tried disabling all of your running programs except explorer and systray? Try that, to make sure it isn't any of your running programs causing a problem.

infinet
12-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Hey

It may involve a registry edit to completely remove the spyware.

for now click on start
go to run
type msconfig in the whitebox and click ok
in the system configuration utility window
click on the tab marked startup

From there uncheck everything thats not necessary for the start up of windows if ya need help PM me.

For anti-virus

go to www.grisoft.com (http://www.grisoft.com) and download AVG free edition it works great.

dezhen2001
12-29-2002, 10:50 PM
thanks for the help guys - the customer service is great in this place :D

i d/l the prog infinet and am gonna do as u and wufy wrote there thanks :) this is what happens when ur a Mac guy using a borrowed pc to get online :p

dawood

[Censored]
12-30-2002, 11:26 AM
If it works 1 time out of 5, then it works...there's nothing wrong with your DNS config. Sorry dude but dialup sucks.

Java is required to run chat applications through IE, double-click on the Internet icon in the bottom right, then choose "Custom Level" to make sure it's enabled.

It is possible, though highly improbable, that your ISP is blocking or filtering IM ports. That would not affect your web browsing.

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 11:38 AM
thanks for the reply censored :)

its strange, since i did the virus scan etc. there was 1 that i removed... things are a little faster and msn works sometimes then goes silly... but yahoo/icq and wushu chicks java chatroom doesnt... the room loads but tells me it cant connect to the server or somehting :confused:

infinet: check your pm please :)

thanks guys,
dawood

infinet
12-30-2002, 11:41 AM
dawood:

check pm and sent one back :)

I'm gonna agree with censored, it does sound like a java problem
as to where to update java gimme 10mins I'll PM you with the site.

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 11:57 AM
8.93 MB to update java - holy sh|t :eek: im clocked in around 28.8k LOL :D

oh well gives me an excuse to stay online ;)

dawood

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 01:32 PM
:( still not working properly i think its all screwed

dawood

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 01:52 PM
my other connection (uni) seems to be working again and everything seems to be fine now... wtf? :confused:

dawood

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-30-2002, 03:36 PM
if you were running win 98/95/me i would say to rip and reinstal your dial up networking folder and network components, but im not sure how this works on win2k.

in the other versions you would simply go to control pannel, add remove progs, windows setup (or windows something or other ... its one of the tabs), go into communications, uncheck dial up networking, apply (rebooting is good at this point but im usually to lazy to), go back in, recheck it and hope for the best. if i remember right this should also reinstal your network components ... if not you can do it manually by going into network ... removing everything under installed comps ... exit out ... reboot ... go back in and re add tcp/ip, client for ms networks, and dial up adapter. you must have a copy of win 95/98 on hand to do this ... sometimes the info would be restored from cab files but not often enough to rely on. i believe me always has it stored.

does anyone know if the same procedure works on win2k?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-30-2002, 03:37 PM
also remember the golden rule of thumb:

when in doubt:
format c:

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-30-2002, 03:42 PM
one of the first things my buddy asked is if you are running a firewall ... would explain why only the instant messangers are fu cking up. i know this was actually one of the first questions asked, but im not sure if you answered it yet or not.

also what speed are connecting at?

and remember ...

when in doubt:
format c:

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 03:56 PM
wow gda didnt think u knew so much about pc :D

well im running off the university server thru an internal phone line connection from my room to the uni. surely if there was a firewall it would be there? i am using a common householdnamed isp to dial up otherwise, which is when things seemed to be fu(king up.

i guess maybe that profile could have been screwed up or something, but oh well... things seem to be ok now which is good.

ima connecting at 28.8k ish and dont expect any better really. i know about format C: but its my mates pc and he has the windows startup disc in his room (which is locked and he is in europe now!). long story :D

anyway finally chat to my gf online and things just went rough :(
at least we could chat though...

dawood

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-30-2002, 04:05 PM
i really don't know that much but picked up what i could working for an isp. when i made the mistake of showing that i had some understanding of what was going on i got thrown to the wolves whenever the techs were short handed.

if the uni is running a firewall on their servers it would make no difference when you were connecting through your own isp ... at least i don't see how it could. some people run personal firewalls (blackice/norton ... ) that can block ports that these im programs use.

its good to here that it's finally working though. what finally fixed it? did you just recreate the profile or somethin? like i said ... i know jack sh!t about win2k.

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 04:15 PM
i have no idea what fixed it... the uni server was down which is why i used another isp... had a profile created for it etc. before i even got online thru the uniat the start of term. it was THAT which was screwed up... nothing to do with the uni :confused:

then by accident i tried the uni connection and it worked fine and things r cool again:confused:

i have no idea LOL

dawood

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-30-2002, 04:20 PM
it may have just been the isp like someone else said. if everything is working fine through the uni connection than i would venture to say it was the isp or crazy configs for the isps profile in win2k. i would also advise your friend to get a copy of devil's own (free version of windows xp :)) its way faster and more people are framiliar with it. win2k is made by hippies.

dezhen2001
12-30-2002, 04:29 PM
very very strange :D

as for win2k(pro) its what we use to do all our graphic/animation stuff on as its more stable. generally of course :p

dawood

kungfuyou
12-31-2002, 01:19 PM
Well I dont' think that it would be anything with a personal firewall. If it were, it wouldn't work PERIOD, no matter how you were connected to the Internet, either through DUN or LAN connection.

It could be a setting within your IM software that had you pointed to either a proxy, or it was configured to work with a LAN connection and not a dial up connection.

But it sounds like something was up with the Dial up ISP, sounds like they had some filters on that disabled those features. If the only thing that changed was how you connected, then it was more than likely the ISP, whether it was Uni or ISP, that had the different connection options on what it allowed and didn't allow.

Just my .02 from my lil help desk!! ;)

dezhen2001
12-31-2002, 04:13 PM
thanks for the advice :)

so strange though that a commercial and common isp would have something that didnt let me chat, yet the uni connection with security did...?:confused:

anywayz, glad its working now...

dawood