PDA

View Full Version : rattan ring training: Is it safe?

humblewarrior
08-18-2000, 12:27 AM
can it cause permanent damage to your arms,hands, and elbows?

Highlander
08-18-2000, 01:13 AM
Why would you even ask something like that? How are you using it? I can't imagine anyway of hurting myself with a rattan ring. Please describe the training program you are considering.

humblewarrior
08-18-2000, 01:21 AM
well, the way they use it in wing chun. Look in the wing chun forum under rattan ring thread. that would best describe the kind of training that i am interested in. I would really appreciate it.

WSLfan
08-23-2000, 05:26 PM
If your practicing rolling don't use it because it teachs you to push outward onto the ring intead of forward to your opponent to feel for gaps.

Turiyan
08-29-2000, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highlander:
Why would you even ask something like that? How are you using it? I can't imagine anyway of hurting myself with a rattan ring. Please describe the training program you are considering. [/quote]

Japanese styles use a iron ring often and the training can create dangerous blood pressure spikes. In the wrong position the ring can put pressure on blood vessles or veins, nerves, accupoints, whatever....

What I know about the rattan ring is limited but I believe the ring is supposed to be used on the upper part of the arms. This puts the elbows in the centerline if you hunch forward.

I've seen a move where you put the arms in the ring and roll your hands down and around on the inside to emerge from under the chin back to the front of the body.

The idea that its used for chi sao is probably an erroneous transmission.