PDA

View Full Version : Sun De Yao Seminar (Plum Blossom)

Dachengdao
12-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Hello KFO Friends!
I'm pleased to announce that Grandmaster Sun De Yao will be in New York to do a Hao-style Northern Plum Blossom Mantis seminar February 8 & 9. He is grandson of Hao Heng Lu and kung fu brother to my teacher, Hao Wei Zhi. All interested parties please contact me at www.dachengdao.com

Tainan Mantis
01-02-2003, 03:02 AM
Dachengdao,
Sorry, can't make it, but wish you the best of luck.

What will be taught in this seminar?
After the seminar can you give us a rundown on how it went?

RAF
01-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Sun De Yao spent a couple of weeks here in Ohio after our October 5 Tournament. If anyone believes that traditional praying mantis is dead on the mainland then this teacher/master will turn your head!

Although I do not actively practice praying mantis any longer, I attended his spear seminar and its very traditional---not a contemporary wushu form. I watched other students attend his seminars on mei hua zhai yao and luan jie---not one person was disappointed. These guys are seasoned manitis players and they knew Sun was the real deal. He knew the applications, his forms were crisp, and he has power.

Traditional mantis can be found Qingdao, Yantai Shandong province and Sun De Yao is one of the keys to unlocking these doors. Besides, he is really a very, very nice guy and we also had a lot of fun taking him out to eat.

http://www.wutangcenter.com/tournament.htm

Scroll down to the 5th picture and you can see Sun De Yao. Over Tony Yang's shoulder is Zhang Wei Fu another traditional mei hua teacher who holds a great tournament in Qingdao every summer. Interestingly over Sun De Yao's shoulder is one of the top disciples of Wei Xiaotang (8 Step Praying Mantis, Chen Guo???). Interesting coincidence.

Dachengdao
01-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Thank you Tainen for your support. I certainly will post to let people know how it went.
An extra special thank you to RAF for your very intelligent and eloquent endorcement of Master Sun. I appreciate seeing the website and pictures. I had the pleasure of speaking to your teacher Master Yang over the phone during that time that Master Sun was there. I never saw Master Yang in person, but he has a reputation of being quite advanced in Baji Tanglang. He is a fine gentleman and well regarded by all who know him. Master Sun is very fond of him and made the introduction between us over the phone. My New Mexico promoter, Tanglangbaji (KFO name), goes to this competition and studies with Master Yang. He took the seminar with Master Sun and had the same positive response that you mentioned. I hope that the people around the New York area will take advantage of this special opportunity. This is Master Sun's first seminar in this area. This seminar is a must for any serious mantis stylist.

yingching
01-02-2003, 12:50 PM
What is the seminar going to be covering? Mighgt help get more people to attend...
Ying Ching
Could find any info on your site about the workshop.

Dachengdao
01-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks Ying Ching! I realized I put my website instead of my email which is dachengdao@yahoo.com Unfortunately, I haven't the computer skills to update my site by myself:confused:
The seminar will be jai yao form, which is very advanced mantis combat. I'm still working out the logistics of location, price, times,etc so it's best if interested persons contact me soon so I have an idea about scheduling. I'll post the flier when it's finished.

mantisben
01-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Count me in!!! I'd love to learn a Plum Blossum Praying Mantis form. Where, and how much will it cost?

RAF
01-03-2003, 06:17 AM
I can't resist, sorry!

If Sun De Yao is teaching one of Zhai (jai) Yao forms, you won't be sorry. We translate zhai yao as "the best of" and there are a number of of zhai yao forms like #1, #2 etc. etc.. These are advanced forms and the techniques and applications will rival anything found in the "internal" arts and other systems.

Sun De Yao is a very patient instructor and detailed. He will go over and over it with you. He will demonstrate it (you see the true flavor). He will show you the applications.

Why the support? Well, I genuinely like him. We had dinner together, one on one and later with others and this guy is genuine with a great sense of humor. He is solid and a very hard worker. More important, I was one of those guys who was pretty well convinced that the Chinese government had just about killed TCM in the mainland. I have had to change my tune after watching and learning from him and knowing Zhang Wei Fu. Its hard to penetrate some of the TCM circles (Illya and a few others have succesfully done this) in China and this is a great chance to experience the TCM of the Shandong province.

I also think Praying Mantis's time has come to take its place along side of the karate and taekwando schools. Its basics are great for fighting and its advanced techniques put it miles ahead of most other Asian systems. She is deadly and beautiful to watch.

And here is my last comment: "Try it. You'll like it!"

baji-fist
01-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I just wanted to put my 2 cents on Sun De Yao. I attended his Taiji Mei Hua Zhaiyao seminar at Master Yang's tournament and I was quite impressed with his teaching methods. I enjoyed the form very much and continue to practice what he showed. He is a very sincere person and will definitely show you the details behind the form. Although there was a language barrier, he was able to express himself through actions. What was really nice was that he showed several applications of the form. Who ever has the opportunity to study from him, take advantage of it.

Dachengdao
01-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Thank you for your nice endorsements of Grandmaster Sun! He really is a great teacher and he doesn't hold back. So Baji Fist traveled all the way over from Norway to go to the Ohio tourney? What a great testament to Master Yang! I'd love to hear more from Baji Fist about the status of martial arts in his country.

baji-fist
01-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Dachengdao,

Actually, I just recently moved to Norway from Anchorage, Alaska. But even from Norway I would travel to compete in Master Yang's tournament. He gots a great group over there and they are always a pleasure to be with.

From what I have seen so far, I have not came across any wushu schools here. I have asked around the Chinese community here and none they have heard about. Karate, tkd, and kick boxing seems to be very big here. The more reason to start a training group here. I am hoping to start the Wu-tan organization here in Oslo.Anyway, please do inform us on how the seminar went.

Tainan Mantis
01-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Dachengdao,
Slightly off topic.
Didn't Sun De Yao make a collection of video tapes?
I have heard that the zhai yao forms are similar to Li Kunshan's in Taiwan.
Although I haven't seen the tapes I am eager to.
Do you feel these are a good representation of Master Sun's kung fu?

The only complaint I heard was that the tape called Mishou was in fact 2nd zhai yao.
And what is your take on Mi Shou, secret hands?

Dachengdao
01-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi friends! Sorry, but the seminar dates have been changed to March 8 & 9th. Grandmaster Sun has already purchased his tickets, so this date is final. I need to have the flier changed, then I will post more info.