PDA

View Full Version : Lau Gar

Sasha
12-30-2002, 08:02 PM
I've been practising this style for about 4 years now I think, though I've only been putting any kind of real effort in for about a year, and I'm at uni 30 weeks a year, where there aren't any lessons, so I'm only orange sash.

But it really interests me, and if there are any senior practitioners here, I have a lot of questions about the style. Also, when I *am* at uni, it'd be helpful to be able to come here and ask questions about techniques/applications etc.

Also, just out of curiousity, are there any people who practise this style who *weren't* taught it in the UK?

Cheers,
Sasha

Shaolin Master
12-30-2002, 08:28 PM
Hi,
I practised a bit of the ZhongShan(Guangdong Prov) variety of Lau Ga.

lau gar
12-31-2002, 02:37 AM
iv'e been practising for 3 years and im a orange sash as well.
It's the most popular form of kung fu in uk so............

AndyM
12-31-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin Master
Hi,
I practised a bit of the ZhongShan(Guangdong Prov) variety of Lau Ga.

Hi SM,

I'd like to know a little more about the style you mention, yet my web searches have found nothing. Can you put me in touch with anyone who knows more?

Shaolin Master
12-31-2002, 09:38 AM
Can you communicate in Chinese ? areyouwilling to travel ? what else would you like to know ?

AndyM
12-31-2002, 10:02 AM
Sadly, I cannot communicate in Chinese.
I am willing to travel though.
I'd like to know the names of the forms listed within the Zhongshan Lau Ga (if possible whith English Translations), and also a little of it's lineage, i.e where did it start, who founded it and when. Finally, if it is still being taught as a style, by whom, and where?

My WC Sifu might help me with translations if you have anything for me!

I appreciate this is a lot to ask, I just hope you are feeling festive seeing as it's that time of year:D

Thanks

R
01-01-2003, 09:11 PM
There have been a number of discussion on the british version of Lau gar as taught by sifu Jeremy(I think) Yau. This is the biggest kung fu org in the UK.

This is not the Lau gar system taught in Hung gar but a different short hand art that some say is a Hakka style.

Problem is this style is associated with tournament point-fighting and kick-boxing as much as with traditional kung fu. Not that that should be a problem if you are happy with the combination. Certainly there are tons of students about, lots of info on the net such in the following forum

http://www.forumco.com/hungkuennet/

Now I am not saying you are not getting traditional KF. Just something different than what the rest of the world usually sees as Lau gar. I guess what I am trying to say is don't be dis-heartened by what you read from either of the two groups of people discussing your chosen style (+ve or -ve).

Cheers, R

iron thread
01-01-2003, 09:32 PM
I know the Hung Kuen Lau Gar and haven't seen the Lau Gar as a seperate system, but I understand that Hung Kuen's Lau Gar is supposed to be different because it has been changed to suit the hung kuen flavor.

To answer your question, I did learn Lau Gar outside of the UK.

Serpent
01-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by iron thread
I know the Hung Kuen Lau Gar and haven't seen the Lau Gar as a seperate system, but I understand that Hung Kuen's Lau Gar is supposed to be different because it has been changed to suit the hung kuen flavor.

To answer your question, I did learn Lau Gar outside of the UK.

But not the Lau Gar that the poster is referring to.

Jeremy Yau's Lau Gar is not the traditional Lau family style of Five Families fame but a hodge podge of his own from various sources. It's success speaks for itself, but outside of the UK everyone will be thinking of something different when you say Lau Gar.

Do a search of this forum and you'll find plenty to read.

Sasha
01-02-2003, 06:13 AM
So does traditional Lau Gar actually exist outside of Hung Gar forms?

Colin
01-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Serpent,
"Jeremy Yau's Lau Gar is not the traditional Lau family style of Five Families fame but a hodge podge of his own from various sources."

Thats one he11 of a comment!

I take it you know Master Jeremy Yau personnaly then?

Sometimes I just have to laugh in the face of such blind ignorance!
:D :D

Sasha,
Don't worry.
Traditional Lau Gar Kuen is alive and well here in the UK!
There are many instructors teaching the full traditional system.
There are also many instructors teaching the competition focused system too!
"Two sides of the same coin" you might say!
The Tai Chi of Lau Gar!

If you have any questions this humble student can help you with feel free to ask.

Colin..........

Serpent
01-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Colin
Serpent,
"Jeremy Yau's Lau Gar is not the traditional Lau family style of Five Families fame but a hodge podge of his own from various sources."

Thats one he11 of a comment!

I take it you know Master Jeremy Yau personnaly then?

Sometimes I just have to laugh in the face of such blind ignorance!
:D :D

Sasha,
Don't worry.
Traditional Lau Gar Kuen is alive and well here in the UK!
There are many instructors teaching the full traditional system.
There are also many instructors teaching the competition focused system too!
"Two sides of the same coin" you might say!
The Tai Chi of Lau Gar!

If you have any questions this humble student can help you with feel free to ask.

Colin..........

Actually, yes I do. I know a lot about a number of things! ;)

I'm not belittling the UK Lau Gar or Jeremy Yau. The success of Lau Gar in Britain speaks for itself. However, I stand by my comment.

Some research on 5 Families Lau and various other styles should make the same things very clear to you. It's not a bad thing (or a good thing really). It just is.

dirty cat
01-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Dos'nt the five family lau gar and master jeremy
yau's lau gar both claim to come from the three
eyed tiger hunter,yet one is hakka from south west
china and the other is from guang dong is their
any connection between the two

AndyM
01-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by dirty cat
Dos'nt the five family lau gar and master jeremy
yau's lau gar both claim to come from the three
eyed tiger hunter,yet one is hakka from south west
china and the other is from guang dong is their
any connection between the two

Now there's a million dollar question :D

Colin
01-09-2003, 12:19 PM
I posted a reply lastnight??? i wonder what happened?...Never mind.

Serpent,
To be honest I can't say whether Lau Gar Kuen is the original five family system or not.
Master Yau says that Lau Sarm Ngau is honoured as founder of the style he teaches, but little more than that.

He does say though, that his family are Hakka, that his grandfather learnt the style in Kong Sai, (therefore not strictly Master Yau's "hodge podge" maybe more his grandfathers!) and that there was alot of exchange of technique between many of the southern styles during that time.
Hence you can see a Lau Gar pole form in Chow Gar Tong Long, elements of Hung Gar's tiger/crane form in Lau Gar's ka boon sau fa form, and so many simularities between styles such as SPM,Loong Ying, Bak Mei, Lau Gar etc etc that it is plain they have similar roots.

So....It's not so much the accuracy of your comment (which cannot be proved or disproved), but the slightly disrepectful tone.:mad:;)

I'd be interested in talking more, but you have no profile info up, so no email.
Drop me an email sometime.

As for the Guangdong Lau, well... only Shaolin Master knows anything about that, but he seems very reluctant to give any information out on the subject.

cheers
Colin.............
http://www.laugar.org.uk